Corsair Community

Stability problems with 2 CMSS1GB-333 sticks in A7V8x-x system

robyrob

I am having stability problems with these two memory modules in my previously stable system; it is constantly giving me blue screens and spontanteously rebooting - especially when playing 3d games. Even if I am just websurfing it will eventually crash. When I replace my old memory, (one 512MB PC2700 stick) the system runs fine.

I have a 2800XP+ (Barton) in the ASUS A7V8x-x motherboard, i have updated the BIOS (even tried the Beta a7v8xx1014 version), removed all memory and reset the CMOS, changed FSB settings in the BIOS, reinstalled Windows, updated MB and videocard drivers (XFX Geforce 6200 w/ 512MB ram). I am confident that this isn't a power- or heat-related problem - I installed a new 700watt power supply at the same time I installed the RAM, and I have 5 case fans.

When I called Corsair's toll-free support, they assured me that the RAM was indeed compatible with my system and instructed me to update the BIOS, clear CMOS and move the chips to slots 2 and 3 - no change.

Any suggestions? I haven't tried the sticks individually yet - my case is a PITA to get into, so this has been very frustrating every time I have to take it apart.

• 5 months later...

just as an update to this,

I jumped through all the hoops that the tech-support people told me to - installed the two sticks individually into each of the three slots in every possible combination, tried every version of the BIOS that was available for download, resetting the CMOS every time, tried it with a different hard drive and video card with a new installation of Windows, I ran every memory test program I could find, but nothing I could do would make either of these sticks work with my motherboard, even though it gets no memory errors it crashes as soon as you try to open anything - even the screen saver.

so, unable to return them, I gave up and they have been placed back in their original packaging, where they sit until I can find someone to unload them on.

I am not trying to dump on Corsair, but I don't think that they worked very well for me.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I first tried them at the 266 speed - which was the same speed my original RAM was, then unsure of what else to try, I actually lowered the BUS speed even more to get it dowm to 200MHZ, but it made no difference in stability at all.

...if there was anything else that I could reasonably try to get this to work I would gratefully do it.

• 2 months later...
What are the exact settings you have set for both CPU and memory?

i started with the default settings, then started lowering the bus speed and multiplier, and lowered the memory settings - none of which made any difference.

this motherboard has NO way of adjusting the memory voltages, and i am unaware of any other possible settings or changes I could try.

I don't think that this memory is bad - I just believe that for some reason or other it is incompatible with my system; as soon as anything using 3-d opens it bluescreens, even if I just activate the screensaver. The blue screen errors are various memory and video card-related, i had been writing them all down and tried to track them down to isolate the problem, but the list is endless.

I am just going to buy a matched pair of memory sticks that are "certified compatible" for this motherboard - I would LOVE to be able to trade in the $200+ memory I bought for even the most basic, value-line memory if it would just work in my system.

...and as an additional note, since putting my original memory back in, I have yet to have any crashes, freezing, spontaneous reboots or any problems other than missing the benefits of more RAM.

I wanted to say once again that i don't think the memory is specifically the problem; I ran Memtest several times - on each stick individually in every slot and combination without ANY errors, but even with only one stick in any slot the system crashes under the exact same conditions.

I honestly believe my motherboard is probably a cheap piece of crap, but I am not willing to start over with a new motherboard until I am ready to get something a lot better than what I have now.

I am thinking of just going ahead and buying this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145491&ATT=20-145-491&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Memory+%20Desktop+Memory%20-_-Corsair+%20XMS+Series%20-_-20145491#06042016029090924510

the Corsair Memory Configurator says it is compatible with my system (that is how I found that - I wouldn't normally buy from NewEgg), but according to ASUS, my MB is NOT compatible with Dual Channel memory - is this right? could THAT be the problem?

...and I guess I will have to try and sell the other memory because TigerDirect wont take it back, exchange or give me credit for it.

• Corsair Employees

Please put the modules in slots 2-3 and then go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and then set these settings and test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

CPU Freq: 166 MHz - do you mean the bus speed? the defaults set the CPU speed to 1667 MHz

System Performance: User Define

everything else is the default settings:

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts (this is not adjustable)

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

i ran the test for about 20 hours, i still don't get any errors.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.

I have left the memory in there with those settings for the past two weeks, I ran Memtest for 24 hours with NO ERRORS and the Microsoft memory diagnostic http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp with NO ERRORS.

This system is still totally unstable; it will sometimes run for as long as 20 minutes before crashing to a bluescreen, but it usually won't run that long - especially when trying to play 3-D games. The bluescreen errors are different almost every single time, although they are often referencing a videocard driver, usb driver, an "IRQ NOT LESS or EQUAL" or some other strange error message. I had tried to track down many of these errors using this and other sites, but the errors all point to so many different things that there doesn't seem to be an obvious answer there.

Since changing to the suggested settings I have noticed that it isn't randomly spontaneously rebooting any more, it will always either freeze or go to the blue screen.

As I have stated above, with my old RAM the system has never had a bluescreen crash, and I have changed just about everything else on the system but the motherboard. I did a fresh install of XP on a new hard drive with a new video card and the pattern didn't change at ALL.

I really don't know what to do with this anymore; it seems obvious to me that there is an incompatibility in there somewhere that is causing all of this, but I am at a loss to figure out what settings could possibly make this work even reasonably stable.

Archived