Corsair Community

Voyager GT (2 of them) NOT working in Vista

mredraider

I purchased a 2GB Voyager GT. It works in XP Pro, but not in ANY version of Vista. Vista is unable to load drivers. SOOO...

I purchased an 8GB Voyager GT. It works in XP Pro, but not in ANY version of Vista. Vista is unable to load drivers.

Both drives are plugged into the same computer (one at a time of course), booting off of different drives (dual boot). The computer easily recognizes both in Windows XP and the drives run FAST. They are simply not working in vista (What I run at home, and dual boot at work). All of the different computers and configurations recognize my regular Voyager 4GB.

I have tried Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate, Vista Enterprise. Each on different computers (manufacture/build/specs) and nothing seems to work.

I find this to be a little fishy as the packaging uses the trademark "ReadyBoost" on it.

• Corsair Employees
We have tested the drives with Vista and not had any problems like you have described, what is the make and model of the MB you are using in these system and have you updated the Bios and drivers for the chipset?

One is a Dell 700m Laptop. Current bios and drivers. Vista Home Premium.

One is a custom box, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. Current Bios and drivers.Vista Ultimate.

Work is a Dell Optiplex 620. Current bios and drivers.Vista Enterprise. This is the computer that on which the drives work in XP but not in Vista.

The IS DIRECTOR's computer (At my company/my boss, yes I work in IT) has unknown specs to me. He tried it at home with no luck on Vista Ultimate.

The IS Director for a global corporation tried to get these drives to work in Vista with no luck. I have 2 engineering degrees, I am a certified developer and put myself through school as a technician and I had no luck.

I find it unlikely that a random sampling of EVERY computer I have tried "slipped" under the radar for Corsair.

Hi,

I have buy a Corsair voyager gt 2gb for vista and is not working. I test the usb drive on windows xp on the same computer and is working. Look my Spec computer :

Asus Commando

Core 2 duo E6600

TWIN2X2048-6400C4

Raptop 73GB

BFG 8800gts

Seasonic 650W

LG-h22n

windows vista ultimate

Maxtor Maxline III 300GB

P.S : When i writing this post... I try to connect the usb key with the cable that come whit the corsair and I connect this not on the usb integrate with the mainboard (the one with the network ) but on the usb on a backplane that is connect on the computer and is working :bigeyes:

:mad: I am trying to force the device to detect via Device Manager. I select the driver for USB Mass Storage Device and get:

Windows found the driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Okay. I was NOT on current chipset drivers. (well, I was from my board manufacturer)

Here is what it took to get these drives working on an INTEL box running Vista (the only commonality between the computers I tested was Intel).

1. Go to Intel.com and download the zip copy of the newest chipset software.

2. Unzip.

3. Manually update the drivers in the device manager to use the most current version (dated 9/15/2006). You must update the drivers for ALL of the USB Host controllers individually.

4. Reboot.

5. Plug in Voyager GT and be impressed.

*Note* - I had to use the zipped copy of the drivers because running the utility in Vista didn't do anything. Intel apparently hasn't really tested the utility.

This got both my 2GB and my 8GB working. Thanks Corsair.

This situation makes me wonder if Corsair tested these drives on Intel boxes... oh well.

hello,

I have the same problem with VISTA 64 Ultimate and Corsair Flash Voyager 2GB. VISTA didn't find any driver for my usb-stick.

I have a ASUS motherboard P5WDG2 WS Professional and 2x intel dual core 6600 CPUs.

I have read that I have to download some files from the intel-homepage.

Can you specify which files are necessary???

br,

Werner

1. Go http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816&lang=eng.

2. Select your Operating system.

3. Two options will be listed. Select the second one "INF Update Utility - Zip Format."

4. Unzip.

5. Open Device Manager and expand the selection for "Universal Serial Buss controllers"

6. Go to properties for EACH host controller one at a time.

6b. Select Update Driver.

6c. Select from a location.

6d. Point to the folder you unzipped to in step 4.

6e. Select the new driver and update.

6f. Repeat for each host controller.

7. Reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I received my Voyager 16GB Flash Drive (Model CMFUSB2.0-16GB) from newegg.com and plugged it into my USB 2.0 port on my Vista computer.

Vista makes the sound that some new device has been plugged in.

It does it's search routine and then reports an error saying it can't find a driver.

If I go into Device manager, I see the Flash drive with the yellow icon next to it and it says it's a mass storage device.

I did the update driver feature on Vista and it started to search for a driver online. It eventually stops searching and says I have the most up to date driver.

Scratching my head, I decicded to reboot the computer as that sometimes helps. No good.

So is the Voyager 16GB Flash Drive capable of working on Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit).

Note: I'm just using the flash drive as a regular drive. Not using the Vista ReadyBoost feature.

I will try the instructions in the previous post tonight to see if that makes a difference.

Frenchy

I have 2 Flash Voyager GT 2GB drives both do not work on 2 different systems running vista.

Home system

MSI K8N Neo-2 Platinum NForce3

AMD 64 3500

Silverstone 750 power

Vista Ultimate x64

Work system

Unknown Intel MB

P4 3.2 HT

1GB ram

Vista Enterprise x86 (though it is a x64 proc)

The home system identifies the VoyagerGT device but has no drivers

The work system shows a USB Mass Storage device with the error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I purchased 2 drives 1 to use for data transport the other for the readyboost on the work system

Do you have any suggestions?

I have installed up to date system drivers on the home system

Tried pointing the driver install to the system32\drivers as well as the expanded nvidia nforce dir and no joy

:confused:

1. Go http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816&lang=eng.

2. Select your Operating system.

3. Two options will be listed. Select the second one "INF Update Utility - Zip Format."

4. Unzip.

5. Open Device Manager and expand the selection for "Universal Serial Buss controllers"

6. Go to properties for EACH host controller one at a time.

6b. Select Update Driver.

6c. Select from a location.

6d. Point to the folder you unzipped to in step 4.

6e. Select the new driver and update.

6f. Repeat for each host controller.

7. Reboot.

I have an Asus Commando motherboard and my Voyager 4GB stick didn't work until I updated my chipset drivers per your instructions. I am using Vista64.

• Corsair Employees

Are you sure that you have the GT version?

If so you might try and reformat the drive with Fat 32 and test it again

From a command Prompt please try this:

Format (X:) ?FS:FAT32 /U and then test it agian.

Are you sure that you have the GT version?

If so you might try and reformat the drive with Fat 32 and test it again

From a command Prompt please try this:

Format (X:) ?FS:FAT32 /U and then test it agian.

Hmm, Yes I am sure, however I found a solution now, actually I reformatted the drive to ntfs (I am not planning to use it for other things then to improve performance) and yes its a GT version, the solution however was to remove indexing on the drive witch appeared automatically, after I did that I could configure the drive for readyboost without any problems.....

So now, somewhat outside this topic, does anyone have a way to completely remove indexing and search features in Vista? Cause without a multiprosessor this feature is useless as it slows down performance dramatically.

I would suggest contacting Microsoft, but in XP or 2003 server you can select or De-Select it during the install, you might check under add remove software.

No, thats not the way to go, you can however disable the services in START > Administrative Tools > services OR START > Controlpanel > Administrative Tools > services depending if you have the show Administrative Tools options set in the advanced properties of your startmenu.

that is the indexing service, in Vista however there are more services configured also slowing down the system if you do not have a modern dual core system with considerable ram.

By the way even the GT version with 4GB memory does not give a considerable advantage and does not speed up Vista very much. My conclusion is that either Microsoft has to do considerable work with its new flagship regarding performance or we will just have to wait a few years for the hardware to catch up so that Vista can be used on future machines.

Kind of related to the indexing topic. I did the other week changed some settings for Indexing in Vista. I wanted it to index more folders on my computer as I don't save all my documents under the "My Documents" area.

If I remember correctly, you should be able to disable drives etc for indexing.

If the jump drive keeps getting assigned a new drive letter, this might not work.

Frenchy

Kind of related to the indexing topic. I did the other week changed some settings for Indexing in Vista. I wanted it to index more folders on my computer as I don't save all my documents under the "My Documents" area.

If I remember correctly, you should be able to disable drives etc for indexing.

If the jump drive keeps getting assigned a new drive letter, this might not work.

Frenchy

Your right, in both respects, firstly because I have slided out of topic here, my replies here started in topic but of course, my reason for buying my GT stick was to improve vista performance.

And yes, you can turn on and off indexing on drives and folders as you please, however that does not seem to have any effect at all, I have also turened off several related services that too does not seam to have any effect .... well time to move to another thread I guess ;) this is no longer about voyager :)

That would be best, but if you have any more questions about our products please let us know, and if you don't mind you might update the thread with anything you find about this.

I'll try to remember you guys and post my findings... I probably will find some solutions as I sure need it for my Vista Ultimate to be usefull for me... :)

Archived