Corsair Community

NTFS Improvement Massive -- Is It OK To Use?

edlight

Just got an 8Gb Voyager. Got lots of errors using Version Backup. Tried enabling write cache - that reduced them. Made a new partition in bootitng and formatted it fat32 aligned for NTFS conversion. Formatted NTFS in Windows XP sp2.

Now it is reliable AND it's fast as :bigeyes: !! With or without write cacheing.

In fat32, it would limp through several files a second but now things like thousands of favorites are no problem for it.

Hopefully, there's nothing bad about using NTFS on the Voyager? It will still last 10 years, that is?

To follow up, it won't format to NTFS if write cacheing isn't on in the drive properties, don't forget to turn off indexing after formatting it, and there are indications that with certain programs there may be data corruption if write cacheing is turned off. Though the ones I experienced that with murdered the drive when it was fat32. Time will tell if all is now well.

I enabled NTFS compression and it works fine.

Thanks, Ram Guy.

It is working ok and when I right-click on it in Explorer I can see all the details, but in My Computer the capacity is blank, and Nero BackItUp also doesn't see the capacity and won't use it.

Is there a tweak I can do to fix this?

xxcopy and Version Backup see the capacity ok.

Yes, I have sent a help ticket to Nero.

It does see other NTFS partitions' sizes, as does My Computer, which can't see the Voyager's size (nor the SanDisk's).

So I'm hoping Nero can use whatever call drive properties uses, since it does see the size.

I tried on a Microsoft news group about My Computer but no answer.

So I was hoping you had a registry tweak.

BTW: :bigeyes: :laughing: Man does it fly through little files in NTFS! Try it, like on 1000 "favorites", you won't believe it. Pow -- tens of them a second. Just make sure drive cacheing is turned on in the drive properties, to prevent data problems. It works fine with compression on. But turn indexing off.

You can try and change the drive properties to a non removable disk and see if the program will detect it, but if you do that you will have to turn the system of when you want to remove it.

Thanks. I can't seem to find a way to do that in Win XP Home sp2?

Archived