Corsair Community

RMA Needed! Dominator 8888 stopped working!!!

ScarabJsy

Hi.

I recently upgraded from ******** SLI memory to the far superior Corsair Dominator 8888 for my gaming rig. For almost a month my machine has been rock solid, but since started to crash unexpectedly, and sometimes not POST at all. I've rebuilt the system since and still had no luck in getting any stability. BIOS has been flashed to all possible revisions, CPU swapped out, graphics cards tested in other rigs etc - all in all my components are fine on their own. However, the other night the machine failed to POST completely. The readout on the BIOS error LED is 1d, which is also confirmed using my own POST probe card - this means expanded memory test from what my book says. After taking the memory out and testing one at a time, I have now confirmed that one of the two sticks are causing the failure. I can't run memtest on it since it won't post, and now i'm left with my very expensive ram half-used. I work as an I.T. engineer and as much to my knowledge, this memory has simply just failed. The machine has ran fine on stock FSB/recommended voltages for ages but has decided to bite it.

I believe I have to post here for technical support in order to qualify for an RMA. Can somebody help!

EVGA nForce 680i || Core 2 DUO E6700 @ 3.5Ghz || 2x 1GB Corsair Dominator 8888 @ 11111Mhz 4-4-4-12 || 2x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB @ 576/900 || Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU || 3x 320GB SATA-II || X-Fi Xtreme || 2x Belinea 22" LCD @ 1680x1050 || Thermaltake Tai-Chi

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.4 volts and then set SLI Ready Memory to CPU-MAX, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

ok, my bios revision doesn't need an update (i'm using february's P25 revision which is still the latest). I had SLI memory set to EXPERT, and with identical settings to the MAX setting (1111), although changed it anyway to your advice, and the volts are all on auto apart from ram which is 2.4v. I'm still getting absolute no joy, and the machine won't post with one of the sticks so I can't memtest it. (i memtested both sticks when I first got them for approx 12 hours with no red-highlighted errors). I've racked my brains to any other explanation but am 100% now that my ram is flakey and might need a replacement pair.

:(:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi.

I recently upgraded from ******** SLI memory to the far superior Corsair Dominator 8888 for my gaming rig. For almost a month my machine has been rock solid, but since started to crash unexpectedly, and sometimes not POST at all. I've rebuilt the system since and still had no luck in getting any stability. BIOS has been flashed to all possible revisions, CPU swapped out, graphics cards tested in other rigs etc - all in all my components are fine on their own. However, the other night the machine failed to POST completely. The readout on the BIOS error LED is 1d, which is also confirmed using my own POST probe card - this means expanded memory test from what my book says. After taking the memory out and testing one at a time, I have now confirmed that one of the two sticks are causing the failure. I can't run memtest on it since it won't post, and now i'm left with my very expensive ram half-used. I work as an I.T. engineer and as much to my knowledge, this memory has simply just failed. The machine has ran fine on stock FSB/recommended voltages for ages but has decided to bite it.

I believe I have to post here for technical support in order to qualify for an RMA. Can somebody help!

Wow. That it the exact same thing that happened to me. My machine also started to crash and fail to post after a month with the 8888C3. I also got the 1d bios error, and also found just one of the sticks with memtest errors.

What a coincedence...

Archived