Corsair Community

Twin2x2048-6400

Hi Everyone.

I ordered various components for a new computer from Ebuyer (UK) the other day, and they're due to arrive soon.

The motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P

The CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

The RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2Gb Kit

Now, I've since been reading the various reviews of this memory at NewEgg and comments on these forums. It seems that many peoples memory is either DOA, or it dies after working okay within a few weeks.

There was only one review of the memory at eBuyer, which was a 1/5 star rating and the comment was DOA, but I disregarded this as I've always used Corsair memory and never had a problem.

However I'm a bit worried that I'll find my sticks to be DOA when they arrive.

If this is the case, and I choose to submit my RMA directly to Corsair rather than going through Ebuyer, would this work as I live in the United Kingdom and not America.

Also, I read on the .PDF Spec sheet for this memory that it's tested before it leaves the factory, if this is the case then how can so many people be receiving DOA sticks?

And lastly, is there any known issues with this memory and the GA-965P-DS3P motherboard - I.E will the stock VDIMM voltages be high enough at default to let me get into the BIOS to increase them if necessary.

Thanks for your time.

• Corsair Employees

First thing, you have to look at the Volume we sell of this module specifically and its more than 10,000 units per week. Next the people posting with problems how many of them are just not knowledgeable and maybe did not set the proper settings, and You have to set the minimum tested Voltage for these modules, next the MB you use as well as the PSU and video card all can effect the over all performance and Stability of any system.

All of our modules are tested in a MB at the rated speed before they leave our factory, but normally if something electronic is going to fail they will fail with in the first 30 days. The most common mistake a user makes is not setting the proper settings or misunderstanding the limitation of their specific system. And I think If you spend some time really looking at the posts users have made a major portion just needed to update the bios version and set the proper settings after loading setup defaults.

Hi RAM GUY, thanks for your reply and time.

Yes, I had thought about that since making the post that the majority of comments about the RAM will only be from people with problems and that many users who have no problems won't say so. Also with so many being sold per week the problem percentage is low.

Thank you for your reassurance.

Could you however answer these questions for me:

According to the handy memory configurator, the TWIN2X2048-6400 are indeed compatible with the GA-965P-6400 motherboard. It seems pot luck as to what revision of this board customers receive, and who knows what BIOS it will ship with.

If the recommended voltage for these modules are 1.9V, what happens if the default RAM voltage on the board is preset to say 1.8V. Would I be able to get into the BIOS to increase the voltage as I don't have any other DDR2 memory that I could temporarily use to change settings.

And in the unlikely event that I did need to use the RMA system, would the fact that I reside in the UK cause a problem.

Also, I've read in a few of your replies where you're recommending for some people to disable Legacy USB support. Is this something I should do when I'm up and running, or is this only applicable to people with ASUS boards.

Again, thank you for your reply - sorry to have asked you more questions!

I'm fairly confident that my sticks will be okay however, the system I'm currently using has the TWINX2048-3200C2PT set, and having been using it for almost 2 years overclocked it's performed nothing short of suberb.

Best regards,

• Corsair Employees

No worries thats what I am here for!

According to the handy memory configurator, the TWIN2X2048-6400 are indeed compatible with the GA-965P-6400 motherboard. It seems pot luck as to what revision of this board customers receive, and who knows what BIOS it will ship with.

If the recommended voltage for these modules are 1.9V, what happens if the default RAM voltage on the board is preset to say 1.8V. Would I be able to get into the BIOS to increase the voltage as I don't have any other DDR2 memory that I could temporarily use to change settings.

A: Yes indeed and you should set the memory voltage to +.2 or +.3 Volts with Gigabyte MB's

And in the unlikely event that I did need to use the RMA system, would the fact that I reside in the UK cause a problem.

A: No problem at all I would however try your reseller first and if they will not or cannot help you then send them directly to us.

Also, I've read in a few of your replies where you're recommending for some people to disable Legacy USB support. Is this something I should do when I'm up and running, or is this only applicable to people with ASUS boards.

A: This is only needed when running a memory test, most MB makers have this set to Disabled by default, but ASUS has it enabled on most of their MB's, if your MB has that setting and its set to Auto or enable, you should disable it when testing your system.

NP and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks for the reply again RAM GUY, I come bearing good news!

Typing this on my new system, alls working great. Booted with both sticks no problem. Had to change timings in mobo from 5-5-5-18 to 5-5-5-15.

Ran MemTest for 3 passes, no errors! I shouldn't have doubted Corsair!

I will increase the memory voltage by +3 as per your advise after typing this.

Also.. I notice that the quoted timings for these modules are 5-5-5-12-2T

There were *loads* of different settings for the RAM, several of which were set to 3, but nothing on 2, so I think I may have to change something from 3T to 2T.

Below are all the memory settings that I have set in the BIOS. Could you confirm everything is okay, in particularly what I change to make the command rate 2T.

CAS Latency Time: 5

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5

Precharge delay (tRAS): 15

ACT to ACT delay (tRRD): 3

Rank write to READ delay: 3

Write to precharge delay: 6

Refresh to ACT delay: 42

Read to Precharge delay: 3

Memory performance enhance: Normal

EDIT: Using CPU-Z I think I can confirm that the memory is now running at the correct specified settings, screenshot below if you could be kind enough to confirm.

Should the frequency be 800.0MHz rather than 400.0MHz. Also, when I bootup the writing says the memory is running in "Dual Channel Interleaved" mode. Is that right?

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/7126/untitledga0.jpg

Looking forward to hearing back from you, and thank you once again.

• Corsair Employees

These should be all you need to change after you load setup defaults.

Memory Voltage +.2 Volts

CAS Latency Time: 5

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5

Precharge delay (tRAS): 12

And yes 400 MHz is correct in CPU-Z as it will show the actual clock frequency, DDR2-800 = 400 Mhz X 2 = 800 DDR.

Hi RAM GUY,

Many thanks for the clarification. Have changed all settings as you advised and everythings works great.

Didn't realise CPU-Z didn't take the dual channel into account, hence half the speed.

Checking the spec sheet for the TWIN2X2048-6400, it says: "Latency » 5-5-5-15-2T "

Should the "Precharge delay (tRAS)" be 15 instead of 12? Although it seems to work fine at 12.

Sorry for the questions.

Archived