Corsair Community

Need to run 4GB on Striker Extreme

evmiller

Ok, I need to run 4gb of memory on Vista 64bit and was planning on getting the DDR2 8500 Dominator to run on the Striker Extreme or Evga with an e6600 @ 1066mhz. Problem with that is, it seems nobody can get 4gb to work without throttling down the memory. Is it then reasonable to buy DDR2 8888 Dominator or higher and than throttle it down to 1066mhz? If so, how high of DDR2 rating should I buy to keep the CPU and Memory fsb Linked? If it's unreasonable to keep the two linked, then what is the best peformance that can be achieved with 4gb Dominator DDR2 on these Mobo's?

• Corsair Employees

evmiller

This is not a limitation of the memory its common that you would have to run the memory at 667 or 800 MHz with 4 modules no matter what part you get. But you would have the best chance of getting the system to run DDR800 4 up with our 8500C5 modules or faster, as XM2S-8500C5D and XM2S8888C4DF would be based on the same IC just a different screening and testing parameter so in this case the results would be about that same

• 2 weeks later...
O.k, I think I might have misunderstood the way the rating system works for this memory. I was under the impression that I needed DDR2 1066 memory to run synced with a 1066mhz processor. I might have been mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong here. This stuff is a little hard to figure out, but isn't DDR2 533 the the lowest rated memory to run a 1066fsb motherboard/processor in synced mode, and DDR2 667 for a 1333ffsb? If I'm not over-clocking here, can I run 4gb at these speeds? I'm a bit of old school here. I don't over-clock anymore. But in the past when you bought a motherboard that ran at a certain FSB speed, you bought a processor and memory that was rated for that same speed and then ran it at that same FSB speed. Anything over that is an over-clock. I see people complaining here that they can't run 4gb of memory at DDR2 667 or 800 on a 1066 system. Aren't they technically over-clocking still? should'nt they be clocking the system down to 533?

Archived