Corsair Community

HX620W (New) Problem

mrestine

My system is in my sig. I had an ********-520ADJ coupled with the FSP BoosterX-3 that was working fine, but the ******** failed recently. I then purchased the HX620 and tried running my system without the FSP vid card PSU and it didn't work properly. One vid card was fine, but as soon as I enabled crossfire and tried anything demanding with 3d gaming or gpu benchmarks, the Corsair didn't seem to be able to supply enough overall power for the entire system. Adding the BoosterX-3 got everything to working OK again though. I'm wondering whether or not my total system power requirements are just a little too high for the HX620 or did I just get a bad unit? My case has 3 x 120mm fans, 2 x 92mm fans and 1 x 250mm fan all running at lowest speeds. It also has a multifunction front panel with LED's. Lastly, there is a single blue cold cathode. My voltages are 1.475-CPU, 2.20-RAM and 1.65 MCH. All other voltage settings are "Auto". The "Slot Power" setting in BIOS for the vid cards is also on "Auto". Is this just too much of a power requirement for the HX620 alone? I don't want to have to RMA the Corsair, if I'm just being unrealistic in my expectations of its true capacity. I thought that if others were having success with overclocked systems and 8800GTX SLI using just the HX620, then perhaps it could handle my entire system too. Any thoughts? Help. Thanx in advance.

Mike

• Corsair Employees
That PSU would not have any problem with Two X1900 or even X1950 Video card's and we have tested it with quad Nvidia 7950 cards. and with 2 X1950 Cards and Certified by ATI as Cross Fire Ready. You most likely have some other problem, have you tested the cards one at a time?

That PSU would not have any problem with Two X1900 or even X1950 Video card's and we have tested it with quad Nvidia 7950 cards. and with 2 X1950 Cards and Certified by ATI as Cross Fire Ready. You most likely have some other problem, have you tested the cards one at a time?

Yes, the cards work fine one at a time. Only when I add the FSP BoosterX-3 VGA PSU will they work with the HX620. Leads me to believe that it just isn't putting out enough power and the VGA cards are at stock clocks. Is it possible that I got a bad one? While I suspect the failure rate is extremely low for new units by customers, I also suspect that it still happens. Perhaps I just got unlucky with this unit? I will try any other tests you can suggest. Believe me, I don't want to have to RMA this thing. It's a major inconvenience for a new part for all parties involved, but especially for the paying customer. It wouldn't be the first time that I ever bought a new part that was either DOA or defective. It would be the first time I ever bought a new Corsair part that was bad though. I was just hoping to clean up my case and reduce heat by eliminating the VGA PSU in favor of a single PSU solution with the HX620. I've heard so many good things about this power supply and I really like the way the modular cables keep my case less cluttered.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to provide a little additional information. It was suggested on another forum that I test without the cold cathode due to the possibility of excessive line noise. I haven't tested without the cold cathode yet, but I will eventually. I have a couple of other projects in front of this one for a while. In the interim, I found a site that helps me to calculate the total power requirements for my system (http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine) and it is listed as follows:

System Type: Single Processor

Motherboard: High End - Desktop

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2400 MHz Conroe

Overclocked: 3204 MHz, 1.4875 V

CPU Utilization (TDP): 100% TDP

RAM: 4 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM

Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900 XT

Video Type: Crossfire

SATA HDD: 2 HDDs

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

Floppy Drive: 1 Drive

PCI Network Interface Card: Yes

Sound Blaster w/ Front Bay: Yes

PCI IDE RAID Controller Card: Yes

Additional PCI Card (avg): 1 Card

PCI-e x1 Card: 1 Card

USB: 3 Devices

Fan Controller: Yes

Front Bay Card Reader: Yes

Front Bay LCD Display: Yes

Fans Regular: 1 Fan 92mm; 1 Fan 250mm;

Fans LED: 2 Fans 92mm; 3 Fans 120mm;

Cold Cathodes: 1 Cathode

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

PSU Utilization: 100 %

Total: 624 Watts

Not really all that sure how accurate this estimate is. Probably worse-case scenario in terms of power requirements. I don't have any other comparable PSU's to test against the HX620. Fortunately, I have the FSP VGA PSU and that at least allows me to take the vid cards out of the equation. I recall when I first put this system together last year, the ********-520ADJ handled everything with just a single x1900xt, but when I tried to upgrade to a 7950gx2, that seemed to be the breaking point for the 520ADJ. The VGA PSU saved the day then. I later moved the 7950gx2 to my girlfriend's box and added another x1900xt for Crossfire, which also worked fine with the VGA PSU/520ADJ combo. I would have left well enough alone, if the 520ADJ hadn't gone bad. I was hoping to clean up my case and remove a little heat with a single PSU solution and that's why I purchased the HX620 as a replacement. As anyone can see from my sig, I removed the HX620 thinking I may have to RMA and temporarily replaced it with an Ultra V-Series 500 (best $22 I ever spent...) from my test bench. The Ultra is working fine but only with the help of the VGA PSU. I'm just trying to verify that the HX620 is enough for my system without any help from the VGA PSU and whether or not I need to RMA it. Thanx for all of your help.

10 days since last reply from Corsiar? Where's the tech support? I'm trying to determine whether or not I need to RMA this power supply. So far, nobody from Corsair has given me a definitive answer. I replied immediately and in detail to the last and only suggestion from a Corsair rep a week and a half ago. Please help...

• Corsair Employees
10 days since last reply from Corsiar? Where's the tech support? I'm trying to determine whether or not I need to RMA this power supply. So far, nobody from Corsair has given me a definitive answer. I replied immediately and in detail to the last and only suggestion from a Corsair rep a week and a half ago. Please help...

Your system should be easily powered by the HX620. To be honest, I don't think the power supply is bad, but I'm curious as to what else may be happening that could cause it.

Since you say it works fine with 1 card enabled, it shows that the PSU is good, so unless the fan is being impeded from airflow through the PSU in some way, or there's some other system instability that isn't rearing its head when using the VGA booster. If you'd like to RMA the unit, we can, but I honestly think something else is going on.

You're nowhere near the max capabilities of the power supply, I've pushed systems much more power hungry than yours with it, so I don't really know where else to point you right now. Like I said, we'll gladly RMA it for you if you want to just rule that out, but I do think you have something else going on somewhere.

Your system should be easily powered by the HX620. To be honest, I don't think the power supply is bad, but I'm curious as to what else may be happening that could cause it.

Since you say it works fine with 1 card enabled, it shows that the PSU is good, so unless the fan is being impeded from airflow through the PSU in some way, or there's some other system instability that isn't rearing its head when using the VGA booster. If you'd like to RMA the unit, we can, but I honestly think something else is going on.

You're nowhere near the max capabilities of the power supply, I've pushed systems much more power hungry than yours with it, so I don't really know where else to point you right now. Like I said, we'll gladly RMA it for you if you want to just rule that out, but I do think you have something else going on somewhere.

Thanx. Someone on another forum suggested re-testing the unit with the cold cathode disconnected. Apparantly some cold cathodes can "dirty up" a rail, whatever that means. I'm going to re-test everything later this week or during the weekend. I'll let you know the results.

Please do let us know!

OK, I promised an update and I finally got around to trying to work this problem. Right now, at long last, I'm running the system in my sig on just the HX620 alone. So far, everything is holding up just fine. I haven't tested all of my 3d games, but several of them are all working well for the time being. I've run multiple instances of 3dMark06 without incident scoring from 10,515 to 10,531 3dMarks.

I discovered 2 separate issues that were unrelated directly to the PSU that were causing me problems.

First, the version 7.2 Catalyst set do not work properly for me in my system. Crossfire will not stay enabled. Reverting back to version 7.1 solves this problem. I've discovered that this is a common complaint among many other users of the 7.2 Catalyst drivers with Crossfire systems.

Second, and more important, there is a known flaw in my revision (1.02G) of the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe motherboard that no BIOS up to and including 1801 Beta have resolved. USB ports 3 & 4, the pair of USB ports located furthest from the PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports on the back of the motherboard, have problems with powered USB devices. Removing and/or inserting the USB cable from just about any powered USB device, whether the device is self-powered or derives its power from the USB port alone, can cause spontaneous booting, re-booting or shutting down of the system. Moving my Logitech G15 USB Keyboard and Logitech MX-518 USB Mouse to any other available USB ports is how I avoided this problem. Doing that also seems to have solved my problems with instability in 3d applications using just the HX620 PSU alone for all my system's power requirements. Why this happens is beyond me though. It doesn't seem like mere coincidence, however. If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Oh, and I never had to remove the cold cathode. That was the next thing I was going to try, before I made the changes to how I use my motherboards available USB ports.

Anyway, I'm going to keep pushing my system in a greater variety of 3d applications from here on out to see whether or not I can replicate the instability I was previously experiencing that was the genesis of my original post. Bottom line so far, is that you guys were right. The HX620 appears to be more than enough for my system as is. Thanx for all the feedback. You all were a big help.

Mike

• 4 months later...

Per ASUS's manual, USB Ports 3 & 4 are actually supposed to work that way... they support wake up from S5 wakeup by USB. The BIOS actually allows you to disable that feature (I use the BIOS version 1707 and it has it for sure). That however does not explain the instability in the 3d apps

HTH

Second, and more important, there is a known flaw in my revision (1.02G) of the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe motherboard that no BIOS up to and including 1801 Beta have resolved. USB ports 3 & 4, the pair of USB ports located furthest from the PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports on the back of the motherboard, have problems with powered USB devices. Removing and/or inserting the USB cable from just about any powered USB device, whether the device is self-powered or derives its power from the USB port alone, can cause spontaneous booting, re-booting or shutting down of the system. Moving my Logitech G15 USB Keyboard and Logitech MX-518 USB Mouse to any other available USB ports is how I avoided this problem. Doing that also seems to have solved my problems with instability in 3d applications using just the HX620 PSU alone for all my system's power requirements. Why this happens is beyond me though. It doesn't seem like mere coincidence, however. If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Per ASUS's manual, USB Ports 3 & 4 are actually supposed to work that way... they support wake up from S5 wakeup by USB. The BIOS actually allows you to disable that feature (I use the BIOS version 1707 and it has it for sure). That however does not explain the instability in the 3d apps

HTH

Thanx. I'll look for the feature in the BIOS and turn it off. I think the 3d application and game instability was due to not having the modular PCIE cables properly seated all the way. No problems since.

Archived