Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400 - 4Gb config

vilsonfarias

Greetings,

I have just bought a P5N32-E SLI and a TWIN2X2048-6400 (2x1Gb XMS2) and even before turning on the machine for the first time I'm already interested in buying more 2Gb of RAM, just to be ready for future heavy applications and Vista stuff.

Does anyone has successfully installed 4Gb (4 modules) of TWIN2X2048-6400 in a P5N32-E SLI? I've read some reports about problems with 4Gb installations, but I haven't read anything about success. Do you know if its a real limitation of P5N32-E SLI? Can a BIOS update solve it?

By the way, does anyone has a system running with 4Gb of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (pay attention, it's a C4)?

I'd really appreciate any help before I purchase more memory.

Best regards,

Vilson

I recently bought 4 sticks of the exact same memory for my new build. I'm still running a 32bit OS so i'm only using 2 of them at the moment, but I've ran test with the other 2 sticks and both are good. I've read numerous success stories about using 4 of the XMS2 PC6400 C4, and I think a few of them used your board but i'm not positive.

As you can see I'm also running an Asus board, but not one of the Intel ones. This is about all the help I can offer, but if I do jump to a 64bit OS anytime soon i'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

• Corsair Employees
You can run 4 1.0 Gig modules but you will most likely have to run the memory at DDR533 or DD667, if you have a problem, its best to test the modules one set or one at a time at the tested settings, and you would need to be running a 1066 FSB CPU.

Ive gotten 4 gig of the twin 6400C4 to at least appear to work in that exact motherboard.

Stay away from the auto 800 setting. The linked standard ratios are your friends (which should give 533, 710, 853 options). I used 4-4-4-12 on the timings, and around 2.05 or 2.075 bios setting on memory voltage to get near 2.1 (my board overvolts, per the bios readings).

Hope this helps

You need to set some voltages manually.

First, Memory Voltage doesn't need to be that high. 2.05v will work fine.

Second, Northbridge voltage needs to be increased. 1.30-1.35 depending on what works best each board is different.

Third, CPU VTT needs to be manually set at 1.3v.

Fourth, Try this configuration.

Go into the bios, Go to

First: "AI Tuning -> Select Manual"

Second: Go to Overclocking, Select Memory Timing Schedule. Set timings to 4-4-4-12, Command Rate 2T and Auto for the rest.

Fourth: Go back 2 screens to AI Tuning and go to FSB and Memory Config. Select Unlinked. Reboot Computer.

Fifth: Go back to "Ai Tuning -> FSB and Memory Config" and select memory speed of 800.

Sixth: Reboot computer and your memory speed is now 800. Easy as pi.

Based on recent tests, I actually DONT have a 4 gig working without any memtest errors, except for at 533. Higher setttings will seem to work from an OS standpoint, but I get occasional memtest errors. I will try yoxxy's formula.

Archived