Corsair Community

Bad stick in matched pair of 6400C4

As the title says, one of the sticks throws hundreds of errors in memtest regardless of which slot it is in, and the other one works great.

How do I get this fixed? Do I send them both in so I get a "matched" pair, or what?

• Corsair Employee

some_guy

You first post was at 1:AM our time and I am sorry but we were not open, please wait 24 hours before bumping the thread.

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The motherboard is an MSI P6N SLI-FI, (nvidia 650i), pcb version 1 with bios version 2.0.

CPU is an e6600, all testing done with cpu at stock speeds.

Each memory stick was tested in each of the 4 memory slots. I tested them individually, and in pairs, in every combination possible.

Testing done with memtest86+ cd.

Whether singly or in the pair, one of the sticks errors out constantly, while one has never shown any errors.

I gradually increased the ram voltage to 2.1, but errors persist.

I ran nvidia ntune and it found what it thought were the optimal settings for the ram, but those settings resulted in thousands of memtest errors within 10 minutes on the bad stick.

Then I set it back to SPD / Auto, which produced the least amount of errors, but still crashed windows after a couple hours with the bad stick installed.

So, finally I removed the bad stick, and it's been running Orthos for 14 hours with no reported errors, but only the good stick is currently in the machine.

Sorry I'm a bit confrontational, but this ram was supposedly tested and hand picked as a matched pair before packaging, so how come so many people are having problems with it? I do not see any valid excuse for shipping a product that generates literally thousands of errors in less than an hour of testing when that product is being billed as "premium".

If I buy a cheap used car, I expect some problems. If I buy a luxury sedan, that thing better purr like a kitten.

Caveat emptor, indeed.

Archived