Corsair Community

Antec 900 and Corsair HX 620W problem

GSte

My lovely new Corsair HX620 arrived today. Good quality package, but I've got a big problem with it....

My case is an Antec 900 and the PSU fits in the bottom rather than at the top, and the Corsair's fan is... on the bottom! Obviously I can't fit it like this as there would be no airflow. Fitting it upside down will leave it open to as much dust as could fall into it, and I'm not sure that this is safe, or even that it's safe to fit PSUs upside down. I could cover the fan aperture with a piece of fine aluminium car body mesh.....

What does anyone think? Should I just buy another PSU? Thanks for any help

I simply cut a hole in the bottom of my 900. Nobody will ever see it, and it has several advantages.

This accomplished two major things: allowed the PSU to suck in cool outside air and exhaust it right out the back of the case. My PSU will never have to use pre-warmed air for cooling. It also put the non-modular motherboard cables in the right orientation (on the mobo tray side of the case, not the window side). Depending on what mobo you have this could make the difference between a clean wire routing job, and have wires (especially the 4-pin cpu wire) stretching across the mobo.

As a cosmetic bonus, it also let the PSU sit upright so everyone can read the label on my new HX620 :biggrin:

I simply cut a hole in the bottom of my 900. Nobody will ever see it, and it has several advantages.

This accomplished two major things: allowed the PSU to suck in cool outside air and exhaust it right out the back of the case. My PSU will never have to use pre-warmed air for cooling. It also put the non-modular motherboard cables in the right orientation (on the mobo tray side of the case, not the window side). Depending on what mobo you have this could make the difference between a clean wire routing job, and have wires (especially the 4-pin cpu wire) stretching across the mobo.

As a cosmetic bonus, it also let the PSU sit upright so everyone can read the label on my new HX620 :biggrin:

1. The PSU is designed to pull in warm air from inside the case anyway.

2. Cutting a hole will introduce more dust directly into the PSU.

3. Being that it's in the bottom of the case, and beneath the video card and CPU...how much warmer do you think the air is?

I have my HX520 mounted upside down with the fan pointing up.

Archived