Corsair Community

nForce 680i SLI And New Corsair RAM Question

DM7

Hello, this is my first post on here I hope I can get some help.

A little background about myself, I know the basic workings of building a computer and this will be my second computer that I have built. What I don't know is selecting the correct timing of RAM or what all the different number combinations mean. I just expect RAM to work properly if it is installed properly, is that too much to ask? :P

I have a NForce 680i SLI Motherboard and CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel for my RAM.

First of all I don't want to overclock it or anything I just want to run it at stock levels. Will I have to change anything in BIOS to get these to work? I am a little gunshy about using this RAM because when I first got it and installed it, one stick didn't work at all and I had tech support give me an RMA number and so I'm sending it back on Monday.

But when I get it back I would like the proper settings to use and set it accordingly. I see on the ram it has 4-4-4-12 timing and the bios automatically sets it to 5-5-5-18 I think it was, (Going on my memory here, hehe) What do those numbers mean? And most importantly is that all I have to change? What about the speed itself of the memory or the voltage? I really have many questions and even if someone does give me the numbers I'm not 100% sure of where to put them in Bios, or what name is for what number and so on.

This is such a long post but an important one, if anyone has information on this I would be grateful. Thank you.

Archived