Corsair Community

XMS Qualification and Testing! - you only test a pair !

sergiorodrigues

anyone looking at the post What are the correct timings for My Module?

will see that the Twinx/XMS2-6400C4 and other Twinx were in pairs (Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:)

so basicly the "What are the correct timings for My Module?" is actualy for the Twinx "What are the correct timings for a pair of My Modules?".

Was there ever done any tests with 2 pairs ?

4 socket motherboards are not really that uncommon.

Well, there certainly are no indication for setting 2 pairs of TWINX.

So "What are the correct timings for My Module?" is useless for anyone who wants to get that info for 2 pairs of TWINX.

(Not that i dont give value to having that info for just 1 pair)

Just my input.

• Corsair Employees

That is the point Twinx sets are only tested as one pair, if you want to use Two pairs or 4 modules its more MB and system dependent, just the modules are tested at the settings listed for that specific part in question.

What is the make and model of your MB?.

unfortunatly its a asus striker extreme with bios 1002 :(

(you probably know why i say "unfortunatly" ;)

by the way, all my specs, excluding extra hardware for which there was no option are correct in the button above my post that says "sergiorodrigues pc specs" if you want to know my configuration better.

I would just load setup defaults and then set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the memory frequency at DDR667 and leave the timings set to SPD and test with http://www.memtest.org

although i had difficulty understanding what you meant my "leave the timings set to SPD", even after looking up SPD and knowing that somehow the memory informs the mother board of its caracteristics, i found no option on my bios that actualy said SPD, so i assumed "auto" for the other settings besides 667 MHz and 2.1 V.

the result was that the board appeared to boot up with memory setting "667MHz 5-5-5-18-1T" and the memtests failed.

i tried 667MHz and 2.1V with 4-4-4-12-2T that is what is stated in the specifications and the memtests failed.

667Mhz at 5-5-5-18-2T also failed.

i have found by experimenting (basicly reducing everything down and then incrising a bit) that i get a stable system with the following configuration:

575MHz 2.1V 5-5-5-18-2T.

but it seems to me that i should be able to achieve 667MHz which does not happen. I have also seem other posts where people have achieved their memories specification (using 4 GB allways) by 1) undervolting the ram 2) increasing NB voltage.

i have no idea if i should do this and what values i should test for the voltages.

also, with all the problems i had till i found my motherboard worked at 575MHz, i contacted my reseller, and they were willing, knowing the problems i had had to let me pay the extra money to get 2 x TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF.

would i a) get them to work ? ;) b) improve significantly my memory perfomance as im stuck with 575MHz ?

sorry for so many doubts, but striker extreme is one evil motherboard...:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

tell me something ram guy,why suggest we underclock our memory? if there is a problem with that speed or if the memory isn't stable at it's rated specs, then why sell it? if i wanted ddr667 i wouldn't pay extra money for ddr800 would i? not unless i'm an idiot. why can't these manufacturers stop spitting rubbish out untill they test it first, and i mean test it properly!!!

sorry i'm just fed up with all this incompatible stuff i have in a box i call a pc!

tell me something ram guy,why suggest we underclock our memory? if there is a problem with that speed or if the memory isn't stable at it's rated specs, then why sell it? if i wanted ddr667 i wouldn't pay extra money for ddr800 would i? not unless i'm an idiot. why can't these manufacturers stop spitting rubbish out untill they test it first, and i mean test it properly!!!

sorry i'm just fed up with all this incompatible stuff i have in a box i call a pc!

Limitation of the memory controllers, NOT the memory.

Does that mean we should be able to RMA every board that claims to support DDR800?
That's up to the motherboard manufacturer's warranty. Besides, I said memory controller, not motherboard :) Some memory controllers are in the CPU itself.

don't get me wrong, i realise it is not the memory, but it sure is when on the corsair compatibility page they tell youy the ram is compatible, up to 1333 dom sticks. thats what peeves me, the fact that they don't even bother to check it out first. they just compare specs and of u go ship em out now. And i do understand the major problem is not corsair but rather m/b and chipset manufacturers.

I am just not happy!!!

just like u wizard i know little about the tech side of things, but i don't believe we should have to slow down mem forany reason at all if we bought it to handle higher speeds and same with the mobo.

you get what u pay for right? but here they say you get less then what u payed for.

BTW i dropped me spd down on my striker board and i still cannot get 4 sticks to work

• Corsair Employees

with more memory there is more loading on the memory controller and you may need to relax the memory frequency and or times with the system fully loaded.

Its like if you put 4 people in a Volkswagon its not going to run as fast up hill with 4 people as it will with just one or two.

Archived