Corsair Community

Help with Dominator PC-6400 C4D & Striker Extreme

smiller300

Dear Ram Guy-

I purchased the 2GB kit of Corsair Dominator PC-6400 C4D specifically for use with my ASUS Striker Extreme. Although I did not see this ram on the ASUS QVL, I posted here earlier and you told me that it was 100% compatible.

My question is with my BIOS settings. The BIOS will not post when manually set to 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v - isn't this the speed suggested for this ram? :confused:

Also, the ram is SLI certified, I was told not to set the BIOS to enable the SLI setting for the ram - it would cause more problems than benefits - is this correct?

Could you please respond with all of the details on how to set up my BIOS to get the most from this ram?

Thank you for your help:biggrin:

Go into the bios, Go to

First: "AI Tuning -> Select Manual"

Second: "Go to System Voltages, Set Voltage for Memory to 2.1v"

Third: Go to Overclocking, Select Memory Timing Schedule. Set timings to 4-4-4-12 Command Rate 2T and Auto for the rest.

Fourth: Go back a 2 screens to AI Tuning and go to FSB and Memory Config. Select Unlinked. Reboot Computer.

Fifth: Go back to "Ai Tuning -> FSB and Memory Config" and select memory speed of 800.

Sixth: Reboot computer and your memory speed is now 800. Easy as pi.

Easy as pi.
:(:

Well, I followed your directions exactly, system posted fine but hung at welcome screen.

I had to go back to default settings.

Will someone from Corsair please advise how to use Dominator ram at advertised speed??

Also,

Please inform SLI issues

Thanks

smiller303

The BIOS will not post when manually set to 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v

dear smiller300, sorry for getting into your thread, but i have exactly the same memory as you, and as i was not able to initialy set the motherboard to run with 4GB, i used 2GB.

so let me state what i had when i run 2GB:

bios 1002

memory at 800MHz

timmings at 4-4-4-12-2T

memory voltage 2.1

no sli

everything else auto

if for some strange (if there is anything strange in this motherboard besides not working correctly) reason you cant get that setting to work, i would suggest all the same settings except 5-5-5-18-2T.

hope it helps you until RAM GUY can get to your post.

• Corsair Employees

smiller300

All you should have to do is load setup defaults and then set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and set SLI Ready Memory to CPU Max. However, this MB has proven to be quite picky and we found that Bios version 0901 was the most stable. So I would flash back to Version 0901 and then load setup defaults (Very Important you do that step or even reset the Bios with the CLR TC Jumper, and flash with the AFUDOS or award flash program from a Boot able Dos disk with no TSR's loaded) The set the Voltage and SLI ready memory setting, And I would suggest testing with http://www.memtest.org.

One question for you if you had this problem, how did you get the O.S. installed on this system?

smiller300

All you should have to do is -

Duh - huh???

I guess I can't purchase memory and plug it in to a motherboard and expect it to work as advertised - huh?!?

I wonder what would happen if I ever considered over-clocking it - never mind I dont really feel like going to MIT to learn this!

BTW - The O.S. was installed on my hard drive - when I replaced the motherboard i just had to activate XP over again.

Steve

• Corsair Employees

Steve,

No I am sorry all of our XMS modules would need to have the minimum settings manually set. If you want to use a less agressive module you could use our Value Select and that would not need you to manipulate the bios just load setup defaults.

And WinXp and Win2K are based on a 4 Layer O.S. Kernel and the hardware is only detected during the install. The root of your system IE NB and chipset cannot be changed and have the system be stable with our a fresh format and install of the O.S. I would suggest testing with http://www.memtest.org to make sure you dont have a failing module.

The root of your system IE NB and chipset cannot be changed and have the system be stable without a fresh format and install of the O.S.

mr RAM GUY, are you stating that everyone who is having problems with this mother board, and had XP previously installed on another motherboard, that we should reinstall XP because not all hardware changes are detected and changed ?

It honestly appeared to me that XP changed all hardware to the new motherboard/cpu, but i cant be certain, and you know more than me how XP handles it.

if this is the case, would a REPAIR INSTALATION be an option, so as not to lose all installed software ?

• Corsair Employees
First thing, if you are having a problem, and you test your system with for expample http://www.memtest.org and you dont get any errors then you might want to try a fresh install and yes any time you change the MB you should delete the partition and let Windows re-create and format the HDD. You can ask Microsoft but this is their suggestion not mine!

Hi,

I've been reading many forums about this motherboard and memory, and all I can say is that - this memory is by far the worst thing you can possibly buy for an Asus Striker Extreme.

I'm still using it because I've had it for well over a month since purchase. So you might be wondering why I didnt return the memory instantly? Because I've spent the last few weeks fooling about with my BiOS settings trying to find a stable configuration!

Why has it taken me a few weeks to find stable settings? Because this memory is so damn tight! On my motherboard (with 901 or 1002 bios), I have to first insert dirt-cheap Kingston memory and set the memory to 2.3V before my system will even POST (after inserting Corsair memory)! Terrible!

No - 2.1V doesnt work. That only works with 1 module. I need to bump the memory up to 2.3V in order to get the system to post with 2 modules.

One other point - I cant run this memory at 800Mhz period. I've tried Manual settings on the FSB, but the system just wont post. Basically, I have to run my system in 'Synced' mode at 533 (FSB 1066) or 667Mhz (FSB 1334). Anything above that is unstable.

Yes - I've tried Unlinked mode and I've tried disabling all Spectrum settings.

YEs - I've run memtest and the memory appears to be fine.

Yes - I've run Orthos and the system runs stable for 10 hours with the memory at 533Mhz or 667Mhz.

Yes - I've tried it all.

So whats the deal here? Isnt this suppose to be performance memory? Creme of the top from Corsair?

This memory is obviously not the best choice to be run with the Striker Extreme, so i think we need some propper timings listed. I dont really want to see further responses asking us to set the Advanced timings to (Auto) because this just seems to open the way to further instability.

I'm running a Core 2 Duo E660 incase your wondering what my CPU is.

PS: Having paid over $500AUD for the pair...I expect the memory to run at 800Mhz with no O/C. It cant even handle that.

You need to set some voltages manually.

First, Memory Voltage doesn't need to be that high. 2.05v will work fine.

Second, Northbridge voltage needs to be increased. 1.30-1.35 depending on what works best each board is different.

Third, CPU VTT needs to be manually set at 1.3v.

Fourth, Try this configuration.

Go into the bios, Go to

Second: Go to Overclocking, Select Memory Timing Schedule. Set timings to 4-4-4-12, Command Rate 2T and Auto for the rest.

Fourth: Go back 2 screens to AI Tuning and go to FSB and Memory Config. Select Unlinked. Reboot Computer.

Fifth: Go back to "Ai Tuning -> FSB and Memory Config" and select memory speed of 800.

I have a question regarding using SLI mode (EPP) with the 6400c4d's and the striker extreme, everytime I set it to OC MAX and SLI gets enabled the ram sets itself to

2.1v, 4-4-4-12 1T (yes, 1T - why? I have no idea)

Anyone know why this sets itself to 1T? Sure, I changed it to enforce 2T but I dont get why its using 1T (it seems stable at 1T anyway).

on top of that Memtest isnt showing any errors for the ram, but still my system, hangs and crashes.

I have an, Intel C2D e6600, striker extreme, raid0 with 6400c4ds which seems to crash in vista now and then when playing games such as Oblivion, The Sims 2, Supremme Commander and Half Life 2 (especially in the route canale sectionof HL2).

Oh, and I have an BFG 8800gtx card ofc (lots of troubles included in that package :/!)

Nothing is OC:d now, I wont OC this comp until its stable, latest everything (drivers and what not is installed ofc).

Any suggestions to what might be causing my problems? :/

Heat is not an issue its running at 45C on load on both my cores and around 65-70 on the GPU.

You need to set some voltages manually.

First, Memory Voltage doesn't need to be that high. 2.05v will work fine.

Second, Northbridge voltage needs to be increased. 1.30-1.35 depending on what works best each board is different.

Third, CPU VTT needs to be manually set at 1.3v.

Fourth, Try this configuration.

Go into the bios, Go to

Second: Go to Overclocking, Select Memory Timing Schedule. Set timings to 4-4-4-12, Command Rate 2T and Auto for the rest.

Fourth: Go back 2 screens to AI Tuning and go to FSB and Memory Config. Select Unlinked. Reboot Computer.

I tried this step by step but it does not work.

As I said - I need to pump 2.3V into my pair in order to get the system to post. When the voltage is set to anything bellow 2.2V i need to insert generic memory to get my system to post.

I think I'm going to try and get replacement memory from K1ngst0n seeing the generic pair works so well.

I wont be buying Corsair ever again!

Archived