Corsair Community

Stiker Extreme and 4x1 GB XMS2 6400C4 Advice

dolynick

I've got an Asus Striker Extreme running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit. With 2x1 GB of XMS2 6400C4 I can run at the full 800 MHz with zero problems. When I add a second set of 2x1 GB modules the problems start.

After reading these forums and others, this appears to be a pretty common problem when using a 4x1 configuration. Most recommendations are to downclock the RAM and I have done so. I have got the PC running at what appears to be stable. A double ORTHOS CPU+RAM test (using all avaliable memory) runs without BSOD.

My question is on specific speed and timings.

I have seen RAMGUY recommend 667 MHz. After some fiddling around I have found that the fastest, working speed I can manage is 727MHz, 711MHz also works fine.

As for timings, Corsair specs these modules as 4-4-4-12 2T with Trc=22. If I set my board to AUTO, it wants to use 4-4-4-10 1T with Trc=19. It has appeared to be stable at those AUTO settings in tests.

Would I be better off, and get better performance with the default 4-4-4-12 2T Trc=22 settings at 667MHz, or would I actually see slightly improved peformance using the more aggressive settings the motherboard seems to think it should (4-4-4-10 1T Trc=19) with 711MHz or 727MHz? Obviously those settings look faster but they are slightly odd and I wonder if they will cause problems or not, especially that 1T vs 2T setting.

Insights appreciated,

-dolynick

Are these settings recommended only for this particular setup, or for anyone with 4 gigs of XMS2 6400C4? I'm running XP SP2 and would also like to utilise all four of my modules on my Striker Extreme (currently running with just 2 gigs) and I'm glad to discover that underclocking may be the key. I haven't tried yet, as I wanted to start with a bit of research and have been busy.

So: is it best to stay around 667 MHz or is finding a higher stable speed recommended? Also, are the settings you mentioned above the optimal ones to go for?

• Corsair Employees
That suggestion was based on that users configuration and it may or may not apply to another MB if the MB is the same chipset it would be the same suggestion and some other chipsets as well.

Thanks for the reply RAMGUY.

I set the BIOS to use those timings and voltage. Setting the BIOS to use 3:2 results in 711 MHz. Everything is running fine and appears to be stable.

CPU-Z reports a 3:4 setting so I'm wondering if you meant I should set it to unlinked at 667 MHz in the BIOS, which would report 2:3 in CPU-Z instead.

Regards,

-dolynick

• 2 months later...

hey guys, im getting the same problem when i go from 1 gig to 2 of my own ram (to matched gigs - TWIN2x1024-5400C4PRO). So far ive defaulted all the settings i can think of - put upto 1.9v and set the latency back to 4,4,4,12 - but im still getting the "DET DRAM" message on my LCD readout like the guy in the thread "http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=295802" I did try sticking the voltages of everything else like he tried but it didnt make any difference. Each time the PC goes to restart it "DET DRAM"s but on shutdown and start its fine (with one gig). Anything else you could recommend? :[pouts:

NB.

i haven't upgraded to dual yet =) still p4 3.4 until i get the cash together

actually, even though they were set, cpu-z is saying in the SPD section that they're running at

CAS#Latency 4.0

RAS# to CAS# 5

RAS# Precharge 5

Tras 15

Trc 20

___

memory section

Frequency 333.3mhz

FSB:DRAM 6:10

CAS#Latency 4.0

RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks

RAS# Precharge 4 clocks

Tras 12 clocks

Trc 20 clocks

command rate 2T

tops from the spd and everything under the "memory section" bit is from the mem section :): just ran memtest on each set of ram, both fine. They were always fine running on my last system, only diff is the mobo (last was Abit AA8 3rd eye)

Well you are fighting a losing battle if you ask me.

That type of RAM is not compatible with the Striker Extreme.

ASUS provide a compatibilty chart for RAM that is compatible with the Striker Extreme at 4 gig.

http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/1439/1439_10.pdf

Ive just got mine working with 4 gig now, not problems, and it did it all on auto.

Update your BIOS to 1102 as well.

no its not the power, the gts 320 only has one power connector, ive had everything connected with my aa8 board and never had any problems with it. And im sure there is alot more memory that works that isnt on that list Levzi but am i setting everything right here? could it just be that the mem wont work with the board upto 4 gigs?

• Corsair Employees
If you have a TG 480 PSU I am sorry but it will not run that system, the memory is 50 Watts and the Video Card is 140 Watts and the CPU is 120 Watts and the Three HDD's are about 80-105 Watts with the Video card maker suggesting 26-30 Amps on the 12 Volt rail. I would suggest testing the memory in another system to be sure or test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing.

ok, ive got my old 6800GT at home, i'll let u know what happens when i swap them over on the weekend =) according to the mem config on corsair my ram should be fine compatibility wise. But only the raptor, mobo, mem, processor and fans are going, the air out of my psu isnt even warm compared to whenever i played games even on the old gfx and mobo =) but i guess its worth a try. As long as its not just the memory not working on a dual/quad ability motherboard when a single core is used or something? :sigh!:

no difference with the 6800 at all, and i had only the basics connected =/ ive been in contact with the retailer about it, their own configurator is linked into corsair's (scan.co.uk) so ive been offered a replacement to see if its the board thats faulty or i could opt for an Abit IN9 32X-MAX. What do you thinks the best option mate? I only have enough money at the moment for a new psu or some ddr800 (if its my ram thats the problem even though the config says it should be ok)

I found that the NB voltage and CPU VTT seemed to have the biggest effect on whether or not DET DRAM occurred.

Maybe try the following:

- Unplug all non-essentials hdd etc

- Boot on a single stick in B1

In BIOS set:

- No overclocks

- SLI Ready = disabled

- vMem = 1.9v

- 1.2 HT = 1.25v

- NB = 1.25v

- SB = 1.5v

- CPU VTT = 1.35v

- Timings set manually to 4-4-4-12-2T

This will probably still boot fine with the single stick - but when you add the other three I am guessing you will get DET DRAM again.

Try then to increase the NB by .05v and hopefully it starts working - I began having problems again at 1.4v

Let us know how this goes

The best thing I ever did was pull the entire board out onto the bench, nothing plugged in except the processor, ram and PSU - plug the video in only to change bios settings, unplug and then test using the LCD poster. I started with everything on Auto and adjusted voltages upwards from there in single changes / smallest increments.

thx pak i did spend ages on the voltages, turning overclocks off etc but just every time i added all 4 sticks nothing usually happened still. I did get it to boot once using all 4 and i thought id cracked it but after about an hour i got the bsod and the same old "DET DRAM" message until i removed the 2 in the white slots. I posted the motherboard back to the retailer this morning, so really i just need to know now if my ram will actually work in the striker or if i should change to the abit 680 version IN9? As in does only >6400 (800) ram work on this chipset and are my 5400c4pro 512s useless? Then it could just be my psu being out dated, but things didnt boot using an old 6800 either :sigh!:

Archived