Corsair Community

Striker Extreme, XMS2048 6400C4 and SLI Memory

Fretzie

Greetings,

My problem is as follows:

When running the ram, XMS2048 6400C4, at default timings (5 5 5 18 1T@ 1,87v) everything runs stable on my Striker with 1002 BIOS. Orthos, 3DMark, gaming, surfing, you name it, it's stable for hours on end.

However, as soon as I enable SLI memory to run at the specified timings (4 4 4 12 2T @ 2,1v) everything is stable untill I fire up a game or 3DMark. I get BSOD's, lockup etc. Interesting enough, I have to set the timing to 2T manually, because enabling SLI memory sets it to 1T, which, off course, crashes in Orthos. Is this how it should be? I find it strange that everything can be left on auto, except that value.

I have tried these things:

1) Bios Defaults.

2) Memtest 1.70, one stick at a time with legacy USB disabled. No errors after 7 tests.

3) Revert the timings back to their default values. Everything returns to normal. I tried this several time, so I'm pretty darn sure I've located the problem.

4) Checked my voltages. Ram seems to be running at 1,87v at default speeds and at 2,1v at EPP speeds. I even tried to manually set the voltage to 2,1 in the BIOS, to no avail.

So, my question, what could be the problem here? Stable at default, but faulty when playing games at EPP settings. And manually setting 2T instead of 1T (minor issue though).

Waiting for some help. :confused:

EDIT: I made a mistake, 3Dmark06 does run for stable. It's only in games that I get crashes.

I tried the above mentioned settings, but to no avail.

I get blue screens again. When I revert the settings to 5 5 5 18 2T I'm stable again. However, I did have a random restart yesterday at those timings also.

It could be an isolated case, but I'm not too convinced.

Any more suggestions? Could it be that my ram just gets too hot? Problems with the motherboard? Defective PSU?

Please help? :(:

I did load the default bios and did manually set the memory volt to 2.0.

However, without any results.

I also did another run with memtest, 16 passes, no errors.

Both one stick at a time as the two sticks at once.

Any suggestions?

I have the same issues with Dominator -

WHY DOES CORSAIR ADVERTISE SLi COMPATIBLE ON CERTAIN RAM - IT OBVIOUSLY ISN'T!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY THE FANCY SLi STICKERS ON THE PACKAGING??

HEY RAM GUY - WHY ARE YOU TELLING US TO DISABLE SLi ON OUR STRIKER'S??

No, my system isn't stable at all. When I play games, I got BSOD's. Not immediatly, but after 30min-4hours.

It really depends. When I enable SLI memory etc etc I get crashes way faster then when I disable it and leave the ram running on default.

First I thought I was stable with default settings, however I'm not. I disconnected as much as possible, installed xp anew and loaded up default bios.

However I still get crashes when playing games after some time. (the time really varies).

I checked all my temps, and they are correct. All of them.

I'm orthos stable, memtest finds no errors. Actually everything seems to run perfectly fine, however, when playing games, I crash. Now wth is the problem here?

Only 2things I can think of is a bad nvidia driver for the 8800 or a corrupt hd, which I doubt, since scans find no errors at all and hdtune says it's fine as well + it perferoms as it should be.

Any other thoughts?

EDIT: I ran 3Dmark06 for 10 hours straight and got no crashes. (although I thought I did before, not sure anymore) So my first post was wrong (edited it).

In games I do get crashes however.

• Corsair Employees
That would suggest some other issue maybe, I looked at your System Spec. and I don't see any problems, but when you get the game to crash do you get any stop errors? Or please check the event log and see what the errors are if any are logged.

I've already seen the following stuff when getting BSOD's: nv4_disp.dll, kmixer.sys, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Sometimes I get no message at all.

Do you also need the numbers/codes from my logs? Currently I'm not home, so I'll only be able to give them on Saturday.

Could it just be a faulty nvidia driver?

I tried the above mentioned settings, but to no avail.

I get blue screens again. When I revert the settings to 5 5 5 18 2T I'm stable again. However, I did have a random restart yesterday at those timings also.

It could be an isolated case, but I'm not too convinced.

Any more suggestions? Could it be that my ram just gets too hot? Problems with the motherboard? Defective PSU?

Please help? :(:

WELL FOR ONE YOU DONT HAVE THE SETTINGS RIGHT ON THE MEMORY ....THAT MEMORY CALLS FOR 4,4,4,12,2T TIMINGS . YOU HAVE TO SET THESE MANUALLY IN THE BIOS AND ALL OTHERS LEAVE AUTOMATIC ....ON THE MEMORY VOLTAGE YOU MUST SET TO 2.1 MANUALLY. ...THIS IS THE SPECS ON THE CORSAIR SITE AND WRITTEN ON THE MEMORY MODULES THEMSELVES.

NOW IF YOU WANT TO ENABLE THE SLI YOU CAN BUT DONT OVERCLOCK IT ...JUST ENABLE AND CHOOSE 0% FOR OVERCLOCK OPTION.

NEXT REBOOT YOU WILL SEE IT IS ENABLED ......NOW AFTER BOOTING INTO WINDOWS USE CPUZ AND YOU CAN SEE THE TIMINGS WITH SLI ENABLES SHOULD READ 4,4,4,12,2T AND VOLTS @2.1

HOPE THIS HELPS ...ALSO WHAT HARD DRIVES DO YOU RUN? SATA?RAID0?

Thanks for the reply, but I aldry know all that. The settings you quoted me on were my 'stable' settings. The timings you mentioned, I know I have to set them manually, choose no oc for sli memory, I also set the voltage to 2.1.

I did all those, but that's the problem, I'm not stable, not at all. When I game, I get crashes.

I can run 3DMark for hours on and not crash, I'm orthos stable, memtest is okay etc etc etc. But when I play game, I get crashes.

I'm not running SLI, just one 8800GTX and that's it. Also, I don't have raid 0, just one regular raptor (sata duh). Everything is running at stock speeds. Since I'm stable in 3DMark I don't think I need extra cooling for the NB, now do I?

No matter what setting I tried and how stable synthetic benchmark seem to be, I crash when playing games. Sometimes after 30min, sometimes after 3 hours, it really varies alot.

So here I am, being stuck and no clue what to do.:(:

Thanks for the reply, but I aldry know all that. The settings you quoted me on were my 'stable' settings. The timings you mentioned, I know I have to set them manually, choose no oc for sli memory, I also set the voltage to 2.1.

I did all those, but that's the problem, I'm not stable, not at all. When I game, I get crashes.

I can run 3DMark for hours on and not crash, I'm orthos stable, memtest is okay etc etc etc. But when I play game, I get crashes.

I'm not running SLI, just one 8800GTX and that's it. Also, I don't have raid 0, just one regular raptor (sata duh). Everything is running at stock speeds. Since I'm stable in 3DMark I don't think I need extra cooling for the NB, now do I?

No matter what setting I tried and how stable synthetic benchmark seem to be, I crash when playing games. Sometimes after 30min, sometimes after 3 hours, it really varies alot.

So here I am, being stuck and no clue what to do.:(:

i noticed that some manufactures are still posting old drivers from 2 months ago so make sure you goto nvidia.com and download the correct drivers there to make sure you have the latest one

did you ever install the drivers from the video cards cd? and then update them on the web? if so you might have corrupted driver. always after installing windows go to manufatures website to download drivers .....if this is the case with you run driver cleaner and follow directions for removing just nvidia drivers and then install the latest driver.

well it seems your system is somewhat stable except for the video card it seems this is where you have problems..i had similar issues...i bought an identical card and no problems.....what settings do you use in 3dmark06?

since it seems that your system and cpu are ok so try these settings; it helped me determine a bad card.

in 3dmark click the highest resolution you have showing and in texture filtering put anisotropic @16x now click on loop all selected tests ....now goto test page and just make sure to only check return to Proxycon and also deep freeze no other tests .....let this run for a few hours .....

one question for you did you ever overclock this GPU?

if it fails and locksup you might have a faulty card.

before you do that try it using these following settings

you might want to do a cmos clear to make sure

run your memory at 4,4,4,12,2t@2.1 and 1.2HT@1.2Volts as well(strikers like to push this to almost 1.5 volts..so put it at 1.2

run manual settings for cpu overclock options and also unlink the bus speeds but leave them on stock settings

everything else just leave on default.....

on your power supply make sure you use different rails for your GPU and your hard drives because you have alot of hard drives consuming some amps..i dont know much about your psu...

the following will speed you up a bit

also before i seen you had a paging issue ...make sure you have 3 times the amount of memory for a paging file (6138 for 2gb) put in 6138 for both initial and maximum dont forget to hit the set button and apply

better yet if you have a second hard drive make a partition(10GB) using fat 32 and make your paging file there as well this way (this of course is for xp)if this is your operating system try it and dont forget to restart and then you can remove your paging file on your c: drive

do a disc cleanup and get rid of all temp files

lastly go into device manager and view by connection and see if anything else is sharing your connection with your video card irq assignments...you might have conflict with another device...

Okay, I'm back again.

I tried some more stuff. I again disconnected all my devices, so that only these parts remained connected:

-the processor (E6600)

-the hd (WD raptor 150)

-the gpu (8800GTX)

-the ram (cosrair XMS6400C4 met EPP)

-the moederbord (Striker Extreme BIOS 1002)

-the psu (OCZ 850W)

I tried three different settings for the ram:

1) SLI memory enabled, with 4 4 4 12 2T(the command rate needs to be manually adjusted, very strange) @2,1v

2) Same as above but @2,0v instead of 2,1v

3) Ramguy's settings with SLI memory disabled and 4 4 4 12 2T with TRC 24 and TRFC 42 @2,0v

For testpurposes I used the game Company of Heroes, because this game crashes fairly fast, compared to others. And synthetical benchmarks don't give any errors or crashes or whatsoever.

In setting 1) I get crashes pretty fast. Both reboots or BSOD's.

In setting 2) it takes a little bit longer, but I get the same results.

In setting 3) everything seems to be a bit more stable. However I do get crashes and reboots after awhile.

I also tried different nvidia drivers, both the 97.44 and the 97.92. No difference here. I also tried some modded DNA drivers, but those didn't work in the first place.

@TheCHaz27

I tried your recommendations as well. My drivers are always installed the correct way, no problem there. I use the exact same settings in 3DMark06 to stress the card. As I said, no errors, not even after 10hours. I also never oc'ed anything in this system yet.

I also changed the 1.2HT settings to 1.2v instead of the higher 1.5v (which I noticed to pe pretty high), but that didn't change a thing.

For the page file, I tried automatic settings and manual settings. Nothing changed, I keep getting crashes and BSOD's.

And lastly, I checked device manager. No shared IRQ's as far as I can see. The GPU is alone and has it's own number, being 16. Even the soundcard has it's own number, 17.

I really need some help over here. What in the name is my problem here? :mad:

If it is because they get too hot, then why don't they crash when running 3DMark06 @max settings and orthos blend at the same time and for hours on. Things can get pretty hot too then. :P

I don't discard this possibilty completely, although I think there is another problem then just overheated NB and SB.

A small update. I let the game Company of Heroes run the whole night without a crash. My settings were default, being 5 5 5 18 1T @1,87v. I don't say it's stable, because it run only for 1 night (appr. 10hours), so a longer time may eventually lead to a crash. But is way more stable then the other settings I already tried. And this was with everything connected, soundcard, TV card and the whole bunch of other stuff.

Off course this are not the speeds where I payed for, so I very much would like some clarification. Thanks. :-)

PS: It's good to know I'm not alone on this. Let me know if you ever find some thing of a solution.

Fretzie. A Question for you, since i've been following this thread and may have gotten lost and am not understanding something. If you are not running SLI, why are you enabling SLI memory?

I may need an education on this since I am in the process of building an SLI rig myself. If you have only 1 vid card, and you enable SLI memory, wouldn't that cause problems to begin with? Just my $0.02 USD :-)

Well actually those two things are not linked to each other. Both have the 'SLI' brand on them, but they mean something different.

As you said, you have SLI for videocards, running 2 cards at the same time for improved fps.

On the other hand you have SLI certified stuff. Like cases, power supplies, motherboards and memory. These are certified for being SLI Ready. Which means they got a sticker on their package, wich again means they are cabable of high performance. Or so Nvidia states.

With the memory this translates in a bunch of settings saved on a profile. The so called Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP), which my memory has. The idea is, you just enable it in the BIOS and you got your high speeds with the memory, almost hassle free. Very convenient actually.

However, this is where my problem lays. If I enable it, I get crashes. Which, off course, is not what you would call an 'Enhanced Performance Profile'. :p:

Archived