Corsair Community

Nautilus 500 pump type....and noise?

dogdirt2000

Hi, i just wanted to know whether or not the pump in the nautilus is the common laing pump you see sold under other names like the Swiftech MCP350 or Danger Den DDC-12v??

I ask because i am getting quite frustrated with the loud noise coming from the pump when the nautilus is running. From what i have found and read on the web, it's been said several times that the nautilus pump is the equivalent of the two other models i mentioned. When i consider reviews of those other two models, and see that every time the pumps are sead to be barely audible, i wonder why i can hear my nautilus giving out a horrible whine/vibration, which is audible from another room in my house (approx 10 metres away from the nautilus and around a wall)?! Even when i have the fan switch set to 'high' on the nautilus, the noise of the pump totally outdoes the noise given off by the fan?!:confused: :(:

i have been trying to decide whether or not to try dampen the noise of the pump, but a post left by someone else in this 'water cooling products' section mentioned how they tried to do this, but to no avail. Also, i've found that the majority of user reviews on the web say the nautilus is very good, but there's only a select few that mention the pump being quite loud, which makes me wonder if there's only a small percentage with this pump noise.

Can someone please clear up whether or not the nautilus should be as loud as i have described it to be, as right now it's louder than the HTPC im using it for used to be??

thanks to anyone who can help.:):

-dogdirt2000

As already stated in the other thread, I have precisely this problem. I stuffed the area around the pump (even under it, although the pump was glued to a mat, so it required a little work to remove) with foam rubber to get rid of vibrations, but that did not change a thing.

I also replaced the fan with a SilenX fan which is even more silent, but the pump noise really pisses me off.

I'll repost my recorded sound, at first I have the power unplugged, and then i plug it in (you can hear a snapping noise) and then first the fan starts to turn and then the pump. Someone posted in the other thread he didn't know what I was talking about and that he did not hear much... Just turn up your sound... this noise drives me mad.

I hope finally someone can tell us if that sound is normal or if something is wrong with our units.

Don't get me wrong, the Nautilus 500 is working great since about 3 months, cools my Athlon XP 4000+ Single Core to 42°C and my Radeon1900XTX to around 45°C when PC is idle with low fan speed, and to around 55°C in games... no reason to complain, but actually the main reason was to get my rig silent, and that is clearly not the case with that whining pump.

pumpnoise.zip

yea, the only reason i bought the nautilus was for the near silence i've heard so much about with it.......alas, in our case it would some otherwise.

The pc im using it with was just a tiny bit louder than the nautilus, and that had 2x 120mm high air flow case fans, and one 120mm cpu fan...not to mention the fans on the gpu's. This is the reason why im questioning the quietness of the nautilus (which has a pump in it reviewed as being 'barely audible' and only one 120mm fan). Strange :confused:

If Corsair is using the Liang DDC-12v pump and not a knock off of it, I would be concerned. The Liang pump uses a ceramic ball as the bearing that the impeller rests on. The pump is not designed to run inverted. In the Nautilus500 the pump is mounted inverted in the unit. This could be causing the pump noise descriped in the posts. It is possible that some air has gotten trapped underneath the impeller in the cavity where the impeller rests on the ceramic bearing. The only way to purge the air would be to flip the pump/unit over upside down. The problem with that is that if you turn the whole unit over you will introduce more air into the system because the coolant res will also be upside down which will make the in and out ports at the top of the res were there is no coolant in the res. I would really like Corsair to comment on why they mounted the pump upside down in the unit as Liang clearly states that the pump was not designed to run upside down. I have a Nautilus500 also, but I do not hear any abnormal noises from the pump/unit. All I can hear is the fan. I am concerned about the pump's life span if it is mounted upside down when the pump manufacture states that the pump was not designed to run upside down.

Tried it, didn't change anything except that for a few minutes there were slight air bubbles, but those settled again... Sound still the same. But if it were that pump I could at least get a new one, even though I am a bit concerned about installing it.

Tried it, didn't change anything except that for a few minutes there were slight air bubbles, but those settled again... Sound still the same. But if it were that pump I could at least get a new one, even though I am a bit concerned about installing it.

same, i also tried moving the unit around, but all i suceeded in doing was adding small air bubbles into the system, which cleared up after a few minutes.

I'm not so worried if it is a problem with the pump as i can just get the unit replaced on RMA as im well within the warranty. Buying a new pump is a bit off-putting though, as a new pump (ie, the swiftech mcp350) would cost around £45 - not an option - so i hope corsiar, or the Cool Guy, will get back to me with some helpful info.

Well warranty is not a great option for me since the SilenX fan wasn't an easy install. I actually kinda had to solder it in there... cut the original power cords of both fans and soldered those together :) I don't think Corsair takes kindly to that kind of behaviour :P

that's the only reason i haven't started attempting to mess around with the positioning of the pump or any of the nautilus inards.

I have tried unscrewing the nautilus's reservoir from the actual case, as i thought pump vibrations may have been amplified through the reservoir due to the short distance there is between the pump and the reservoir. As a result of this i did slightly get rid of some of the noise, but probably by 1 or 2 dBa only - not enough to notice there's a difference unless you know something's been done to it.

I've sent a technical query to corsair support to see what they say. If i don't get anything helpful i'll probably just try going back to the people i purchased it from and try to get a replacement sent out anyway......this is such a pain <SIGH>

im near enough certain that i have found the root casue of the problem with my nautilus 500 unit. From knowledge of how pumps work in general, there's a good probability that this horrible vibration and high pitch buzz is caused due to pump imbalancing; either with the impeller itself, or with the rotor shaft.

From work on a friends pc (they use the exact same equivalent danger den version of the nautilus pump- the DDC-1TP), and hearing the comparitive noise of their pump and to the my nautilus, it easy to tell there's something going wrong.

The noise it seems, does not come from the pump, but from the vibration of the pump through to the case, and also the vibration of the pump bein amplified through the reservoir into the case (which can explain the only marginal drop in noise when taking out the reservoirs screws). It's easy to determine that the noise is vibration of the nautilus case rather than noise from the pump, because when i physically pick up the unit i can feel it vibrating heavily.

If the pump was perfectly balanced, there would hardly be any vibration at all because there would be a perfect balance of forces and energy within the pump itself, and thus there would be practically zero energy transfer to the case by vibration. Also, by taking into account that the majority of corsair nautilus owners find that their unit is very quiet, and that the main area they hear noise coming from is the fan itself, leads me no doubt consider there is an issue with the pump.:mad:

If i were to attempt adding extra padding or foam to the inside of the unit to dampen the noise, this would only be treating the symptoms of the problem, and not getting the actual cause. Luckily i am still in warranty, and so will without a shadow of a doubt me going for a replacement unit.

I will stress though, that this isn't a definative cause of the problem, but all the facts add up.......also, having a close relative (who's a Chartered professional engineer) consider my reasoning quite valid, somewhat helps.

Hope you get something sorted out though Xenthalon :):. Considering only a select number of people out there have this problem, i hope my chances of the replacement unit working absolutely fine are pretty high. :sigh!:

(ps. as for why the Nautilus is designed with the Laing pump inverted when it is designed not to be - I have no idea, it seems crazy to me :confused: )

Hi guys,

I'm working beside my pc and my corsair system emits the same high pitch sound as the MP3 posted earlier on. Don´t get me wrong I´m very pleased with the performance of the nautilus. It´s just when I´m working next to it, the beeping sound makes me crazy. It´s not constant though and not from every angle the same.

Has anyone had contact with corsair about this problem?

Kind regards,

Kingmar

yea, i have contacted corsair, but have received no response from them.

After numerous people saying that the fan is the loudest part of the system, and from the knowledge that the DDC pump inside the nautilus most definately can run a hell of a lot quieter, i decided to get an RMA on mine from the original retailer.

They accepted my reasoning straight away, so hopefully i'll receive a replacement with a pump just as quiet as the other DDC-1tp pumps out there.

I got a question, I have the Nautilus 500 and the green lite on the front went out not sure why and i called tech support before this happend about another issue because i didnt recieave enough coolent they told me to put water in it :/ do you guys think the light just burnt out and thats it thats why i'm asking my cpu temp is around 29 c do you guys think its okay and just the light went out i can't really tell if theres any water pumping threw but i can hear the fans running so i guess it is but idk

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5466/pcyc6.th.jpg

I got a question, I have the Nautilus 500 and the green lite on the front went out not sure why and i called tech support before this happend about another issue because i didnt recieave enough coolent they told me to put water in it :/ do you guys think the light just burnt out and thats it thats why i'm asking my cpu temp is around 29 c do you guys think its okay and just the light went out i can't really tell if theres any water pumping threw but i can hear the fans running so i guess it is but idk

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5466/pcyc6.th.jpg

If you cpu temp is at 29c and stays at that temperature when the nautilus is running, i would say that the light is the only thing that has gone. If either the pump stopped working or the fan stopped working, or both, you wouldn't see a cpu temp as low as 29c.

Word of warning with just adding water to the nautilus - do not use tap water as there could be impurities in it such as limescale, which could potentially damage you pump and restrict water flow. It is best to use de-mineralized water or good de-ionised water.

(To anyone wondering, i sent my nautilus back to the online retailer, scan.co.uk, and they confirmed that there's a problem with mine, and so i've got a replacement unit on the way.........i hope the replacement will be fine)

If you cpu temp is at 29c and stays at that temperature when the nautilus is running, i would say that the light is the only thing that has gone. If either the pump stopped working or the fan stopped working, or both, you wouldn't see a cpu temp as low as 29c.

Word of warning with just adding water to the nautilus - do not use tap water as there could be impurities in it such as limescale, which could potentially damage you pump and restrict water flow. It is best to use de-mineralized water or good de-ionised water.

(To anyone wondering, i sent my nautilus back to the online retailer, scan.co.uk, and they confirmed that there's a problem with mine, and so i've got a replacement unit on the way.........i hope the replacement will be fine)

well it don't always stay at the temp of course when i'm playing games and we have a water softner and they said it was okay to put it in one last quest is it okay to keep refilling it with the water insted of buying new cooling every six months?

How often do you have to keep topping up the water supply in the nautilus??

Sufficed to say, if you dilute the Corsair COOL coolant too much, you will start to lose the cooling and anti-corrosive properties of the fluid........but then again the temp wouldn't go up much at all without the coolant anyway.

If you do a bit of searching on the web you will see that Corsair's coolant is just average/below-average in terms of its effectiveness anyway, so adding more and more water isn't so much of a problem. If you do have to top it up often, i'd suggest trying to get de-ionised water as it may help to extend the maximum lifetime of your nautilus - especially if your coolant becomes very diluted.

How often do you have to keep topping up the water supply in the nautilus??

Sufficed to say, if you dilute the Corsair COOL coolant too much, you will start to lose the cooling and anti-corrosive properties of the fluid........but then again the temp wouldn't go up much at all without the coolant anyway.

If you do a bit of searching on the web you will see that Corsair's coolant is just average/below-average in terms of its effectiveness anyway, so adding more and more water isn't so much of a problem. If you do have to top it up often, i'd suggest trying to get de-ionised water as it may help to extend the maximum lifetime of your nautilus - especially if your coolant becomes very diluted.

alright thanks. so lets say i buy some new coolent in a bout a month how would i drain the water pump would i just poor the new coolent in or what?

Hey nice to hear they will sent you a new Unit dogdirt! Did they give you an explanation about what was wrong with it perhaps I can then tell the vendor what the problem is?

Can you please tell us the sound the new unit makes? I hope it's just the whoosh of the fan.

I really don't like replacing my nautilus with the intel stock cooler, although it probably doesn't whistle, but I'll take my chances.

Hope hearing from you soon!

Greets and i'll keep my fingers crossed!

Hey nice to hear they will sent you a new Unit dogdirt! Did they give you an explanation about what was wrong with it perhaps I can then tell the vendor what the problem is?

Can you please tell us the sound the new unit makes? I hope it's just the whoosh of the fan.

I really don't like replacing my nautilus with the intel stock cooler, although it probably doesn't whistle, but I'll take my chances.

i think the sound just happens when you have it on its side because it made a noise when i did that but i just put it flat on the stands it has underneath it underneath my computer desk and now its silent :)

i think the sound just happens when you have it on its side because it made a noise when i did that but i just put it flat on the stands it has underneath it underneath my computer desk and now its silent :)

Have you listened to the mp3 on the previous page?

My Nautilus sounds exactly like the MP3 sounds.

Does your unit sound like that?

Greetz,

Kingmar

if i placed my old nautilus anywhere it would make exactly the same loud high pitch noise, as the noise was coming from the unit itself vibrating too much, and not from the surface the unit was standing on.......all that did was amplify the annoying sound. :sigh!:

I'm still waiting for my new unit to arrive - hopefully it will arrive before the end of tomorrow, as im going away for a while on my spring holiday from Uni. I don't think Scan (company i purchased it from) diagnosed the cause of the problem, but they did test it and actually said that the unit was producing excessive noise, so at least they concur with me.

If i manage to get this new unit today or tomorrow, i will post on here how it sounds. Hopefully i've got a "whisper quiet" one just as corsair advertises :):

thanks for the crossed fingers :biggrin: i've got mine crossed too. i can only hope it turns out good.

alright thanks. so lets say i buy some new coolent in a bout a month how would i drain the water pump would i just poor the new coolent in or what?

if your planning on using the same coolant, you shouldn't have much of a problem just adding a new bottle of coolant to it. It really depends on how dilute the water in your system is. If it is a really vivid light green colour, then i you've still got a concentrated amount of coolant in there, in which case you shouldn't have to introduce any new coolant - just water. If, however, the water is only slightly tinted green, then thats when you could just poor in more coolant.

There's no exact ratio that you need to have for water to coolant, so you shouldn't have problems just adding more coolant - just use how dilute it looks as a rough guide.

If you do still plan on draining it, i will forward you to this small thread as that is the method i would use.

Received my new unit and.................just one extra problem to add to the list now!!! :mad:

The replacement i got looks brand new as the box was still in cellophane wrapping and the reservoir lid is a slightly different design. This replacement is slightly less audible than the last, but the pump noise is of a higher pitch than before and the vibration is also slightly less noticable. The new problem is that when the fan is set to 'low', i get a contant sound every second that resembles riding a bike with a twig or stick stuck in the spokes, y'know that clicky sound....... well, i now get that!! Joy!!

I still struggle to get my head around "whisper-quiet", because if my nautilus is a prime example of whisper quiet, please tell me when there was a time that any of you could ever hear someone whispering from more than 10metres away, and in another room, and around the other side of a wall?!?!? :mad:

I gave corsair the benifit of the doubt with my last unit, but the fact that i get two bad units, and a replacement unit with more problems than the original.......well, all i can say is i'm more than just angry. Even though i love Corsair ram, I certainly won't be buying anymore Corsair brand products from now on. :sigh!: :mad:

Hey dogdirt,

Sorry for my late reply I've been away on a trip.

I believe you when you say the clicking sound is even more annoying than the high pitch sound. So much for keeping my fingers crossed. Will you exchange this one for a new Nautilus to see if the problem persists?

Can anyone please confirm or deny the high pitch pump noise on the Nautilus is normal? I don't understand, the performance is amazing that's what is troubling me the most. I want to keep the Nautilus but don't want to be deaf at age 35.

Please advise Corsair (or anyone) what to do with the Nautilus, is there a mod or some kind of dampening method?

Greetz,

Kingmar

Archived