Corsair Community

3rd time the charm?

I originally bought two sets (4 modules) of CM2X1024-6400C4 and out of the original two sets, one works fine in my PC even when overclocked. The other set contained on module that was bad after repeated tests with Mem86+. RMA was issued, modules returned and a new set was received.

Popped in the replacements and behold, one of the two was bad again. Again, another RMA and another replacement and the third set failed too, both modules this time. One wouldn't even let my system boot.

So, I ask, is this normal? Should this many modules actually be bad?

I have an Abit AB9 Pro and as mentioned I have one set that is working perfect. But 3 completely new sets had failures of different levels.

FYI, I did try the replacment modules by themselves and with others while testing.

I tried them one at a time, tried them at different voltages, tried them on different slots and still no go so tonight I took them over to my friends house to test. He has a MSI P965 using the exact same memory I have (CM2X1024-6400C4).

One module prevented the system from booting (same on mine) and the other failed Memtest+ 1.70 (on his computer Memtest+ froze, on mine I had multiple errors.

I currently have two modules (2x1024) of the exact same memory currently running in my system fine as I hard ordered 2 sets (4x1024) originally. Unfortunately I have had nothing but bad luck with one of the first sets and the 2 sets sent to me from Corsair.

I just created another RMA.

Contacted support but got VM and left message. My RMA # is R238107. I'll will be doing another quick test again tonight, but I suspect I will be returning these modules for the 3rd time.

Since I live in Santa Clara I'm almost willing to bring my system to your offices in Fremont to find a pair that works. :laughing:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the conversation. Just to let you know that I have returned the parts which should already be there.

They were sent under RMA #F238107. I would like to know the results and will probably be back in touch once the replacements arrive.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally received my 4th set of memory and once again, one of the two chips is bad.

I had the Bios set to default and one piece went through 38 passes with NO errors, however the other piece SN 899630 failed 8 times in 32 passes on tests #2, 6 and 4.

I have attached a screen shot o Memtest86+ v1.70 with the results.

FYI, I can overclock the good piece and set the timings to 444412, but with the bad piece anything above default will cause the system to fail to boot or Vista blue-screens within minutes.

What next?

ram.thumb.JPG.0e1a6dd567d5e5ec7dac96d5bc4d04b6.JPG

• Corsair Employees

First thing, I don't have the information in front of me but I am pretty sure the modules you sent us passed. Not to mention you got random errors that happen after many passes would suggest some other problem and the most of the errors happen on a higher test. In addition, you need to be using the latest version of http://www.memtest.org.

Also what did you have the memory Voltage set to?

Used the most current version of MemTest which is v1.70 - you can see that in the picture.

As far as voltage, I let the BIOS default. I will test again tonight with higher voltage of 1.95 but I believe I'll have the same issue.

Again, out of 4 modules, 3 of them give NO problems/errors at default settings, or when the system is overclocked. It is just one module and in the image you can see I only had this one module in my system.

FYI, when I had all 4 modules in my system with voltage at 1.95 and even up to 2.1 I would still get random blue screens and complete freeze of system. Once I remove the one module in question, no issues. I also, changed the BIOS to 667 instead of 800 mhz.

Also, it looks like the same chips are failing on the tests, but I'm not sure of that.

I retest tonight with higher voltage and let you know.

Archived