Corsair Community

Bad RAM - 2xVS512MB400

Greetings,

I purchased a Corsair Value Select 2x512 400MHz dual-channel kit from Newegg back in October 2004. After receiving the kit, I had several issues with the modules failing to pass the POST, and actually posted on this forum about it. My original thread begins with post 150125. After some discussion, RAMGuy recommended that I RMA the memory. If I remember correctly, I RMA'd one chip in the set, and things were mostly OK after that. I would get very occasional BSOD reboots, but I was willing to deal with it.

Last night, all of a sudden, my machine failed to pass POST. In fact, it died either immediately upon starting the memory check, or very early on (1284KB was the farthest I saw, after about 20 reboots). I tried pulling each chip out and booting with the other so I could at least get the machine up, with no luck. I can't even tell the BIOS to skip the memory test because it freezes so immediately on boot. As it stands now, I can't boot the machine at all, and I have no other PCs to test the RAM in. I'd like to RMA both chips as soon as possible.

Relevant hardware configuration:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (400 FSB)

MB: MSI K7N2 Delta 2

RAM P/N: VS512MB400

RAM Lot Number: 0445066-0

No overclocking or otherwise possibly dangerous behavior. All other components in the system are reasonably standard (no odd hardware).

Thanks much.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

As I stated above, I can't boot the machine at all (the POST and subsequent memory test begins before I am given the option to enter the BIOS). I can tell you that I haven't changed any BIOS settings since the computer was first constructed over two years ago.

As also mentioned above, the CPU is an Athlon 3000+ XP with a 400MHz FSB. I am not sure of the exact clock speed. As I stated, I'm not overclocking it in any way. I believe the default clock speed is 2GHz or 2.4GHz.

Since I am currently stuck with an unbootable machine and am typing this on a borrowed laptop, I would really appreciate being able to RMA the two modules in my kit as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Thanks for agreeing to RMA my memory -- I filled out the online RMA form last night, but I still haven't received a response. Is this typical, or should I have received one by now? Is there a way you can confirm that my RMA request has been received?

Thanks.

Archived