Corsair Community

Slow performance using SLI-Ready Memory

This is a very peculiar thing I think.

I just installed my 2 Gig Dominator set (returned from retailer due to RMA). Fired up 3DMark06 to compare with my 1 Gig cheapy modules I have run during the RMA. I got more than 500 points less with my Dominator installed running with SLI-Ready Memory Expert settings (everything Auto).

Hmm… I checked the timings in BIOS. Everything as expected. My 6400C3DF was running at 3-4-3-9-2T @ 800MHz and 2.4V. Compared to my cheapy modules (1 Gig 5-5-5-18-2T @ 800MHz and 1.85V) this was kind of a disappointment :[pouts:

Well, I tried changing the settings for my Dominators and set SLI-Ready Memory to Disabled using Auto for everything else. This means 5-5-5-18-2T @800 MHz and 1.85V, i.e. the same as my cheapy modules was running at.

Fired up 3DMark06 again… and I got my 500 points back at the score:confused:

Why is my system slower using Dominators running in SLI-Ready Memory Expert settings (using EPP) compared to running them with SLI-Ready Memory Disabled?

System:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHZ

Memory: 2 Gig TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF @ 800MHz

Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i SLI (122-CK-NF68)

Graphics: 2x Leadtek 8800GTX @ stock in SLI

PSU: Silverstone ST85ZF 850W

• 3 weeks later...

reilar

what are you running your cpu at?

stock settings!

if so you need to bump it up a bit, to say 3.2GHz.

heck i've run 3DMARK06 with my 6600@3.75 on air (zalman 9500).

results 16083

mem 8500c5df 5-5-5-15 2T

i should have the 6400c3df on tuesday, i'll let you know how i make out

Yes, I run on stock settings, except for the RAM.

For now I will continue to run with "slow" settings on RAM. Read at EVGA forum that they aknowledged there is a problem with running at 2.4V. The silicon will breakdown when using high voltage for a prolonged time.

See this thread:

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31115

My advice to you: Take it easy with your RAM or else there is a big chance you will fry your RAM modules.

Please post your score with 3DMark06. Would be nice to compare.

Yes, I run on stock settings, except for the RAM.

For now I will continue to run with "slow" settings on RAM. Read at EVGA forum that they aknowledged there is a problem with running at 2.4V. The silicon will breakdown when using high voltage for a prolonged time.

See this thread:

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31115

My advice to you: Take it easy with your RAM or else there is a big chance you will fry your RAM modules.

Please post your score with 3DMark06. Would be nice to compare.

IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO THIS, MR. RAM GUY?

Archived