Corsair Community

Striker Extreme and Twin2x2048-6400C4

tlinn

I've got a Striker Extreme with BIOS 0901. Intel E6600. No overclocking. I'm using two matched sets of Corsair Twin2x2048-6400C4 (4x1GB). My PSU is a Corsair 620HX and my video card is a passively cooled Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate.

The BIOS is manually configured for the memory. With four sticks going, I've set it up for 4-4-4-12-2T at 667MHz. No SLI. With a single stick I increase the speed to the rated 800MHz. 2.1v.

Because of random BSOD's, I've begun testing the RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic and Memtest86+ (Legacy USB disabled).

Stick #1 in slot B2: Memtest - 0 errors; Mem Diag - 0 errors.

Stick #2 in slot B2: Memtest - many errors; Mem Diag - many errors.

Stick #3 in slot B2: Memtest - many errors; Mem Diag - 0 errors; Memtest retest - 0 errors in multiple passes.

Stick #2 retest in slot B2: Memtest - 1 error after 11 passes.

Stick #4 in slot B2: Memtest - 0 errors after 46 passes.

Sticks 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 are the matched pairs. It seems pretty unlikely that I ended up with two matched pairs that each had a bad stick but what else could it be? Having said that, the results seem somewhat inconsistent to me.

I've also tried several other test permutations including all four sticks at the reduced 667 frequency. Multiple passes resulted in 1 error on Memtest86+ #6. What should I do now?

Thanks,

Tim

Additional test results:

Stick #3 in slot B2: memtest - 0 errors after 46 passes

Stick #1 in slot B2: memtest - multiple errors

This leaves stick #4 as the only one that hasn't thrown any errors.

Just curious. I purchased two pairs of Twin2x2048-6400C4 memory. One package had two modules with consecutive serial numbers. The other modules had serial numbers that were quite a bit different. Is this correct?

Thanks.

This was my understanding -- that individual modules are tested together and matched. So I go back to my original question. Are the serial nos. of matched modules supposed to be consecutive? If the serial numbers are determined after the modules are matched I would expect them to be. If not, I would expect them not to be.

The reason for my question is that I have two pair of matched memory and I'm having problems with them. I purchased them from different dealers. One set has consecutive serial numbers; the other does not. I'm trying to determine if this means that one set may not be properly matched.

I'm not trying to be dense here so bear with me. It seems safe to say that Corsair puts the stickers with the serial numbers on to the memory modules themselves. Assuming this is true, they could do it before or after the modules are matched. Right? If they did it before, I would not expect the serial numbers to be consecutive. If they did it after, I would expect the serial numbers to be consecutive.

It just struck me as odd that one matched pair had consecutive serial numbers and the other didn't. I thought it might be significant. It may be nothing...

• Corsair Employees
The SN# is sometimes generated randomly and will not always be consecutive, not to mention the Lot Code is whats important it will be the same lot code for the modules but there might be up to 1,000 modules in one lot.

RAM GUY -

I'm not sure why the two threads I created were combined but I'm hoping you will weigh in on my primary question which is the very first post. I've taken the time to research other posts, set up my BIOS to the specifications you've outlined, and use the test software you've specified. I'm getting errors. Do you see anything in my results that suggests it's my MB and not the memory? I'm looking for guidance here. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest we try replacing your modules if you have not done so. However, based on this I would suspect some other problem, did you Disable Legacy USB support when you ram http://www.memtest.org and what test were you getting errors on and do you have the latest bios version and did you load setup defaults and try testing the modules at the tested settings Cas 4-4-4-12 at 1.9 One up?

I'm using the latest, non-beta BIOS. I'm using set up defaults; no overclocking. I did disable legacy USB. I've manually set the BIOS to 4-4-4-12-2T. I have been testing modules individually at 2.1v using the same DIMM slot. The errors have been primarily in test #6. But, as I've said, I can run one of the sticks for 12 hours with no hint of an error. When I retest the next day I get errors with 20 minutes. Maddening.

I will try 1.9v and see what happens.

If I still get errors, should I RMA both pairs?

Thanks.

Archived