Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO with Asus Striker Extreme

DrDeathhand

Dear Corsair,

I am having some major problems configuring my 6400C4Pro memory, or well, having problems running it stable on my system. First of all let me post my sys specs.

CAse Thermaltake Armor 8000A

PSU Enermax Liberty 620W

Motherboard = Asus Striker Extreme (Bios 0901)

Processor = Intel Core Duo E6700

CPU Cooler ZALMAN 9700 LED

RAM 2 GIG TwinX2048 6400C4PRO

Graphics card XFX GeForce 7900GTX 512MB DDR3 Extreme Edition

(PV-T71F-YDE (9,R))

Soundcard Creative Labs XFI Music

DVD drive= Nec 5800D

CDWriter= NEC 4570

Monitor = Dell 21 inch Triniton P1100 100mhz refreshrate 1024 768 rez

network card= onboard

Harddisk = 4x Western Digital Caviar SE WD320JS 320 GB (7200rpm, SATA II, 16MB)

Internet connection = ADSL 8 mbit down, 1024kbs up

OS = WINXP with SP2 (fresh install) and all recent patches and updates from windows update

DirectX version = 9c

Chat programs = MSN messenger ( Ver 7.5 )

Anti Virus program = Norton Anti Virus 2006

Vid card drivers = Detonator 93.71 WHQL

Soundcard drivers = latest version

Internet explorer version = 6.0.2900.2180 with SP2

Mail program used = Outlook Express

Ok, first let me tell you what I have tried. I am trying to get my 6400C4Pro memory to run at 44412 but no matter what things I configure in the bios, each time I do it my system becomes unstable. It still boots, I come into windows, and all that still works, but after a couple of minutes, or even quicker when I run a program, the whole computer resets it self. I absolutely dont have this problem when my system runs at 55518.

I have made some pictures of my bios settings when running at 44412, please tell me what I need to do, or configure to make my system run stable with the 44412 settings. Maby I have forgotten something, or configured something wrong. Well check out the doc1.doc file I have uploaded, it contains all the screens of my bios.

Any help is appreciated.

GReetingss from DrDeathhand

Doc1.doc

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Dear Ram Guy,

Darn I forgot to mention that I already have put all my stuff through mem tests, but with normal settings and not with 2.1V and one module at the time, sooo il go and do that now. But first il say that the modules did not give any errors during the mem tests that I did before.

Ok,

Wellll I did the whole mem test thing again, with the Voltage on 2.1 and usb legacy disabled, both modules sepperate and no errors. See pics I made.

Sooooooo its probally the bios settings then?? somewhere???

Thats why I posted the pics from my bios settings in my 1st post, to show you my bios settings, so that you can tell me if I am missing something.

GReetingss from DrDeathhand

IMG_0150.jpg.b173372f97b94811356c1b8acf44c3e0.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg.1ab5c5684ac2402c863e940120c80c97.jpg

Try using 2.05 for the memory voltage as this board tends to overvolt. Also the subtimings should be left @ auto and not tightened.

Yoxxy, what do you mean with subtimings?? do you mean the RC FRC RRD WR WTR settings??

GReeitngss from DrDeathhand

I'm having similar problems too, I've even ordered a second pair of C4D to try and eliminate the problem on my new build.

Of the original pair, I have 1 stick which passed memtest, and 1 which repeatedly failed on the same address / test.

Of the replacement pair, I have a ridiculous amount of errors, over 2000 on one of the chips..

However, this lead me to think more about the motherboard and things like ram voltage.

Up to this point I hadn't touched any of the bios default settings. I have 1 stick out of the original pair that didn't show any memtest errors, when using this memory stick windows is stable, providing I only do simple tasks, eg left internet radio playing all day long. However, if I start a game up, at random times during the game (usually within 15 minutes) the machine crashes or reboots.

Please note, that the windows install is fresh with all windows updates and just one game installed for testing. Also using nVidia chipset update and nVidia Graphics update.

As I have now discovered this forum and posts relating to Striker Extreme with 6400C4 I have now modified my memory voltage to 2.1 (still with only 1 stick of ram fitted). This was very unstable, in fact it took me three attempts of booting the machine to have long enough in the bios to bring it back down.

The default auto setting shows the memory voltage at 1.87 - 1.88. I have now changed the memory voltage to 2.05 and am re-running memtest as I type, so will see if that makes any difference.

I have a couple of questions though. Firstly, my friend and I ordered exactly the same parts for our new PC builds. He has his running with bios defaults and no memtest errors. Secondly, in the screen shots, you are using memtest v3.3 and mine is v1.7, yours Im guessing is from http://www.memtest86.com whereas mine is from http://www.memtest.org, is there any difference between the two? And lastly, your screen shot shows your RAM at about 17000MB/s, mine is 1918MB/s!!!! Any clues?

Cheers

Have there been any updates on these systems? I have this same mobo and TWIN2X2048-6400C4D ram myself. I am also running the 1.7 version of Memtest that was released January of this year. Does this version also require disabling of Legacy USB? When I first found this memory tester and started using it due to all the problems I was having, it would generate well over 20,000 errors just in the first pass of test 5. Not as many with single sticks of RAM, but there would still be errors, regardless of how they were installed. I tried ALL combinations of slots. I’ve already RMA’d the mobo and all they did was clear the CMOS and did not even read my troubleshooting notes that I included. I even took my system to a local PC shop and tried two sticks of their RAM while they tested my RAM in one of their systems. No errors occurred on either machine, but then their machine, while it did take 240 pin DDR2 RAM, was much slower than mine so it did not push the RAM to it’s capabilities. Plus the RAM they let me try was weak in comparison also. Thing is, when I got back home with my RAM, it suddenly did not generate errors anymore. All was good for a little over a month. Now it’s crashy again with a lot of the same STOP code BSOD’s and plain system freezes. Some BSOD’s did not even give me a cause but they did provide the STOP code which I looked up. The STOP codes I have received are as follows: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, and last night I had my first KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED that referenced Win32k.sys. I’ve already had to revert to M$ Word for it’s auto-save function to write this as I had both a BSOD (the kernel mode trap) and system freeze after reboot while trying to reply. I just completed the RMA process for the RAM a little bit ago but I expext I won’t hear from anyone until Monday with a RMA number. It’s gonna suck not having a computer for a couple weeks while everything goes through. Right now I’m running BIOS defaults with manually set 4-4-4-12-2T with 2.1 volts. I enetere my systems specs in my profile, so you can see I’m pretty aggravated right now that things are not running well. I wanted a top notch gaming system that I could run for several years. I’m lucky if I can run it several hours.

Archived