Corsair Community

Ram Problems

GuOD

Hi,

I posted on NCIX and was directed here.

I had various problems but I will take my post from [H] forums to sum it up.

Original setup:

Original Mobo and E6600 @ various speeds/voltages Ram was 9136 and 6400C3D

All other voltages were default except memory (corsair default set manually).

Fan installed on the chipset and I have corsair memory fan installed

BIOS was P23beta I believe. I updated the bios first thing because of my X-fi

Posting errors, (C3) would only work with 1 stick at a time, then it would work with 2 again. won't work with 2 sticks. BSOD

Current:

New Mobo from RMA and E6600 @ stock and 8500C5D

All voltages were default except memory (corsair default set manually)

Fan installed on the chipset and I have corsair memory fan installed

BIOS was something (didn't check), tried updating to P24 to fix problem but it remains. I'm fine in windows @ 800mhz, whenever I try to go to stock speeds (1066) the computer freezes periodically and I have to reset it. Had posting problems at one point but those stopped

Full system:

EVGA 680i

E6600

8800GTX SLi

X-fi Music

PCP&C 1kW-SR

Benq DVD-RW (This had problems with NF4 IDE drivers I believe, so I didn't install them for the 680i either. It worked fine with my DFI SLI-DR as long as drivers were not installed)

9136C5D/6400C3DF/8500C5D with memory fan

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry I do not understand what you are trying to say, you have three sets of modules or you have had three sets of modules and have the same problem?

And what exactly is the problem? Just to be Clear! YOU CANNOT MIX THESE MODULES.

I know you have been posting on another forum, but I know nothing about your case so please give me all of the details and what is the currant config, if you have tried other configurations then tell me that.

Very sorry... I was in a rush and tried to copy/paste my old message to explain.

First problem:

Evga 680i (Call it Mobo #1) and 9136 - worked fine for 2-3 weeks and then it started to freeze/crash. BSOD. Wouldn't post.C3 post code error

Tried one stick at at a time. One would work and one wouldn't.

Rec'd replacement RAM, 6400C3D - worked fine for a bit again, and then same problems, different post code error. neither stick would work alone. tried the 9136 in again and both sticks would now work individually.

RMA'd both sets of ram and Mobo ---> now Present

Evga 680i (Mobo #2) and 8500C5d

was working fine for a short time but again at stock voltage/timings it will freeze in windows. 800mhz works fine. I've been running for awhile now @ 800 mhz with both sticks.

When I searched for my post code errors and problems along the way I found many instances where people were having the same problem/similar.

EVGA 680i

E6600

8500C5D

EVGA 8800GTX SLi

X-fi Music

PCP&C 1kW-SR

Benq DVD-RW

I don't have a floppy drive so I don't know how I can run memtest. I have a CD burner but I don't know if that's possible??

I will gladly test the memory if you can let me know how to do it.

I can't remember exactly but I believe it did work fine at first again this time. Right now it's working perfectly fine. It only crashes when I bump the mem speed to 1066

I followed your instructions (could not find legacy usb anywhere) but ran into problems.

I set CPU MAX OC, ram @ 2.2v, and rebooted. On the screen that normally says "verifying DMI Pool" it just crashes/reboots (before it says verifying or anything else)

memtest did run fine @ 800mhz.

I then booted into Windows @ CPU MAX OC settings and within 2 minutes it froze both times with nv4_disp error.

I reset it back to 800mhz now and I'm writing this message problem free

edit: nevermind, reboot fixed.

Anyway, I can't get into memtest @ 1066... for whatever reason it won't boot from the CD.

I woke up this morning to a frozen computer so I went through the process again.

BIOS settings to default and then CPU OC MAX.

Save and exit and computer will boot up

press ESC to get into boot menu

On Verifying DMI Pool Data page is just shuts off and restarts

I tried powering it off and then powering it back on. It beeps and freezes at C1 post code error

I honestly don't know what's happening but the ram will not run @ stock settings. I don't know if it's the mobo or the ram or what.

I've tried running various speeds now, from 1066mhz down to 1000mhz (running 1:1 fsb and lowering it) and it keeps crashing before getting into memtest. i'm also frequently getting C1 errors now which reset the ram speed to 800mhz

RAM GUY,

I have spent hours today trying to diagnose my problem and I can't figure it out.

When I set CPU OC MAX and 2.2 volts, it crahses before the "verifying dmi pool data"

I tried upping the voltage to 2.3 volts since I have the corsair memory fan installed and it ran through memtest 5 loops without errors (over 1 hour).

It just won't work at stock settings for some reason.

RAM GUY,

Does it sound like my ram is defective?

I woke up again this morning to computer off (2.2v, 800mhz, 5-5-5-18)

When I turned it back on I Keep getting C1 post code error.

No that sounds more like a MB or PSU problem with what you have posted. Memory will usually either work or it will not. intermittent is something else.

Thank you very much RAM GUY.

Well, I've RMA'd the mobo and doubt I got a second one defective in the same way?

The PSU is a PCP&C and it comes with a test showing that it passed and everything... I also have no way of testing it.

I will get back in touch with my retailer to see what they think.

Thanks a lot!

I have no problem replacing the modules for you if you want to try that, but like I said the problem you describe would suggest something else.

Thanks for the excellent service.

I do not want to waste anyone's time/money before I am certain that the ram is defective.

When I searched for my problems I found many people having the same problem so it really leads me to believe the motherboard is at fault. I'll be sure to update this thread when I know what the solution is.

• 3 weeks later...
Please do let me know how you make out with that!

RAM GUY,

I just wanted to provide an update. I received some OCZ PC2-8500 ram and it worked perfectly fine @ stock settings (5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v) for an entire week. Today though my computer has started displaying the same issues it did when I used the Corsair ram and it's crashing.

There is a several hundred page thread about the EVGA 680i boards not being stable with ram over 2v and I'm sure this is the problem I'm experiencing. I just wanted to let you know that it appears as though the ram was not defective.

Archived