Corsair Community

Memory Saga, what am I doing wrong

I have 4 GB of CM2X1024-6400C4 with a D975XBX2 motherboard. I was having stability problems (blue screen) with vista 64. So, I got the memtest86 v1.70 as recommended here and started testing.

Well it said I had 3 bad modules. Not very bad, just fail 3-4 bits per pass. So, I RMAed the first set (I ran 1 GB to keep machine working). I got the replacement RAM in and took out the known good module and put in the replacement.

I tried memtest. One of the 2 new modules reported a few bit errors per pass. I am beginning to think there is a compatibility problem with my motherboard.

So, I took the 1 good stick that I had been running on for 2 months and the stick that did not have problems that came from the RMA and put them in the machine and started up the memtest again. I have it still running, it has run for 12 hours/24 passes. It has reported 1 bit error in test 7 pass 10 (Good 671faede/Bad 671faeda). It has gone of course 14 more passes without an error since then.

I am not overclocking. The memtest is reporting:

Settings: RAM : 399 MHZ (DDR798) / CAS 5-5-5-18 / Dual Channel (Interleaved).

According to the BIOS the votage to the memory is 1.84 volts.

Is my motherboard overly sensitive? I am using a QX6700 Processor w/Vista x64.

I have a new RMA for the other set of memory, but I have a mixed set now with 1 stick good from each of the 2 sets. Both of the "bad" sticks will produce several bit failures per pass of the memtest. So, one of the 2 memory sticks is not the same serial number as the new RMA since it is one of the 2 new sticks that I got back from the prior RMA.

Where do I go from here? Do I need a new RMA for the mixed set? Can I keep the mixed set? Or do I have to do returns as matched set only? Is there a setting on the motherboard I need to make?

If you check the spec sheet for your RAM model number, I think you'll find that you're running the RAM at too low a voltage for PC2-6400/DDR2-800 speed. Most PC2-6400 RAM is sold as a manufacturer-sanctioned overclock, spec'd at voltages above the 1.8V DDR2 standard. In your BIOS, boost your memory voltage to whatever the spec data lists -- I bet you'll have no errors after that.

Well the overclock is listed at 4-4-4-12 2.1 volts on the memory with the EPP being set to that. The default SPD on the modules read at 5-5-5-18 1.8v according to what the BIOS reads. I am running them on the automatic setting which defaults to 5-5-5-18 1.8v as the SPD reads.

Case #89362

R232845

This is the info as far as the second RMA is concerned. I have not sent back anything yet pending the answers here.

The machine has been running the MemTest86 v1.7 now for 17 hours and 34 passes with still the single bit error back in pass 10 as mentioned above. These 2 sticks from two different sets (one from original set and one from RMA set) seem to work well.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules you will have to run the memory at DDR667 with this MB and these modules. Have you tested the modules one at a time at the tested settings with Legacy USB Disabled? And getting random errors like that would suggest a power problem.

Archived