Corsair Community

Bad memory

I purchased 2 matched pairs (4GB total) of XMS2-6400 ram (CM2X1024-6400C4) from Newegg on 11/16/06. All memory was stress tested for 24 hours during the system build with zero errors. Starting this past weekend (2/24/07) I began experiencing frequent and random application crashes, and system resets. After running hard drive test to ensure no bad sectors, etc, I turned to the RAM. Using Memtest86 I narrowed the problem down to 1 stick of RAM that has failed. Please let me know the next step to get this replaced. Thanks.

P.S. I can't use your Tech Support Express page--IE gives me and "Unknown Error". That's the first time I've ever seen anything like that from IE. Anyway, thought I'd mention it.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and Please Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and then test the modules again with the Voltage set to 2.1 Volts and the tested settings set manually! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Sure I will try this, however, this MB is extremely limited as to settings that can be changed. In fact I have not been able to find a way to change the voltage settings in the BIOS.

Also, trying them in a different box isn't an option, this is the only machine I have aside from a laptop.

Hopefully this will work, but I'm skeptical, since everything has been fine for a few months and now suddenly this is the only stick of ram that won't pass memtest86 (all sticks tested individually in the same slot.)

I'll let you know in a day or two when I have a chance to work on it.

OK, I tried everything you recommended except trying the ram in another machine--I don't have another machine that will take this memory. I tested each stick individually for 8 hours each using memtest86 ver 3.3. 3 sticks returned 0 errors, the 1 stick returned thousands of errors (I didn't write down how many.)

Following your instructions, I used the "I think I have a bad part" link in your signature, but as I mentioned earlier, your TechExpress page gives me errors, I can't submit for an RMA through that page. Do you have another option? Thank you.

Archived