Corsair Community

Unstable PC2-8500

2-8-1

I just recieved my TWIN2X2048-8500C5D and installed it on my eVGA 122-CK-NF68 680i Motherboard, using an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 running at 2.84GHz stone stable on Kingston PC2-4200 memory, when I swapped the Kingston for the Corsair, everything went to hell.

1st off, the Corsair did not want to be recognized correctly and kept wanting to be seen as PC2-6400. When I finally got the Ram set right in BIOS, the timings were 5-7-7-18, The RAM will not run stable at the advertised values of 2.2V at 8500 with 5-5-5-15 timings. I have been running it at PC2-6400 speeds to keep it stable. I plan on returning this ram to the retailer.

Is this common with 8500 speed ram? It seems to be one of the problems that many uses repeat when purchasing this ram, but since my previous Corsair purchases have been outstanding investments, I just assumed it was user error.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this before I RMA this stuff? Right now this 375.00 ram is nothing more than overpriced crap. I hope the next set will be better.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set SLI Ready memory to CPU Max and test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived