Corsair Community

Twinx 5400C4 XMS2 and MSI K9N Diamond ?

BEManni

Hi everyone, before I explain my problem, I'd like to say that YES I browsed the forums before and YES I've seen the testing parameters for my kind of ram before asking.

I have stability problems when I have both sticks in my computer, by stability problems I mean hard drive errors, $mft errors, random errors while installing window xp media center or upgrading to vista and such.

NO it isn't related to my SATA drivers or controller and NO it isn't related to my hard drives. :)

I know it because I hadn't any problem for a week. I could reinstall xp media center + my upgrade to vista without a hitch and play the games which used to crash before. I got rid of these problems by removing one of the sticks (running now with only 1Gb Ram), and YES I tried the second one for a few days too and there wasn't any problem, with the same intensive apps I use everyday...

My memory setup was 100% compliant to what I've seen in this table (except for the brand of the mobo and the CPU frequency) :

Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-5400C4:

Motherboard make and model: ABIT AA8 Durramax and/or Asus P5AD2 Premium

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 250MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 533MHz

DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto Yields the following timings

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9

NB Voltage 1.9 Volts (On Abit AA8 Only)

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

Now, what I can't understand is why I had to put my 675Mhz sticks to a speed of 533 (that didn't solve any problem anyway) ?

And what can I do to solve my problem, I really think that's a voltage problem as it works perfectly with separated sticks and NO (lol) it isn't a power supply issue, I've got a Seasonic S12+ (650W). I never messed up with voltage or overclocking so I'd like to know what to put in there or what to do if I have to raise or lower the testing values so both sticks would work without any problem.

Thank you.

• Corsair Employee
Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. The test the system and see if its more stable, if its still not stable we can try replacing the modules and I would try the modules in the other two slots and if you can test them in another system to be sure.

ok, I've got a bad part...

After having tested each module individually, especially the one I had only tested for a few days, I've seen what part was defective. I had some kind of (bad?) luck when I tried it before. Using cpu and memory intensive programs on that stick doesn't work (blue screens everytime...) And sometimes (now it's often, I think the problem is getting worse) windows vista won't even boot.

The other stick still works flawlessly.

I'm following your "bad part" instructions.

Thanks for your help!

Archived