Corsair Community

Flash Voyager format utility?

Gregory_NZL

I just bought a Flash Voyager 1GB CMFUSB2.0-1GB. I notice there is no Corsair flash utility on the driver CD, though you do provide a copy of the freely available TrueCrypt.

1. How do I format my Flash Voyager in the future, and what file system should I choose.

2. How often and under what circumstances is a format necessary?

3 Should you ever defragment a flash disk?

• Corsair Employees

1. How do I format my Flash Voyager in the future, and what file system should I choose.

A: Just use the operating system and format the drive with the default settings.

A: Its only needed to format the drive when you first get it, but if it ever has a hard time reading or writing to it I would format the drive.

3 Should you ever defragment a flash disk?

A: Not really needed for flash drives but if the drive becomes that fragmented I would just format it and re-copy the file to it.

A: Just use the operating system and format the drive with the default settings.

I am guessing the default file system is Fat32? I ask because I want to start using GNU/Linux and am not sure what their system tools are like.

A: Its only needed to format the drive when you first get it, but if it ever has a hard time reading or writing to it I would format the drive.

I had assumed the flash disk was pre-formatted, is this not the case?

• Corsair Employees

I am guessing the default file system is Fat32? I ask because I want to start using GNU/Linux and am not sure what their system tools are like.

A: Depending on the size of the drive it will be Fat16 or Fat 32 up to 2.0 Gig is normally Fat16 and above 2.0 Gig is Fat32.

I had assumed the flash disk was pre-formatted, is this not the case?

A: Yes but they are machine formatted and in some O.S.'s especially non Microsoft O.S. I would suggest formatting the drive in the system you plan on using it in.

A: Depending on the size of the drive it will be Fat16 or Fat 32 up to 2.0 Gig is normally Fat16 and above 2.0 Gig is Fat32.

Hi RAM GUY, which of the two file systems is preferable on a 1GB Flash Voyager? Sorry to ask so many questions but I would like a better understanding of the technology.

Thank you for your help thus far :)

Archived