Corsair Community

D975XBX2 build

Hookflash

I'm thinking of building a new Conroe system to run Vista. I do not plan on overclocking, and I'm more concerned with ease-of-use and stability than performance. With this in mind, I went with the D975XBX2 (apparently the most stable mobo out there right now). But now I'm really confused about RAM...

My initial plan was to just get four 1gb pc6400 modules, but then I read somewhere that 4 dimms would be much slower than 2 dimms on the D975XBX2. Also, I read that if I use 4 dimms, I'll have to run them at pc-5300 or even pc-4200. Is this true?

What RAM should I get if I want 4gb and if I want to be able to let the BIOS auto-config everything without having to overclock?

P.S. Oh, and one more question... I seem to recall hearing that the D975XBX2 performs best with a "1:1 mem/fsb" ratio. Does this mean that, if I'm not going to be overclocking at all, I should just get pc4200 ram?

Bah, maybe I should just get a Dell. ;):

RAM GUY: Thanks for the response. Just a couple quick questions:

1) Will I have to fiddle with advanced BIOS settings (e.g., vdimm) to get 4 pc6400 dimms running even at 667mhz?

2) Seeing as how I'm not going to overclock, would I be better off getting 4 pc5300 dimms instead, or would I have trouble running all four at stock?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

1) Will I have to fiddle with advanced BIOS settings (e.g., vdimm) to get 4 pc6400 dimms running even at 667mhz?

A: Yes the timings and voltage will need to be manually set no matter what with 2 or 4 modules.

2) Seeing as how I'm not going to over clock, would I be better off getting 4 pc5300 dimms instead, or would I have trouble running all four at stock?

A: I would still suggest the part# I gave you as there is more loading on the system with 4 modules and they will need to have extra margin with 4 modules.

Archived