Corsair Community

Can post with 5:6 & 1:2 but not 2:3

cliffhucker

Running my 3800X2 at 275x10

I can boot and run stable with my XMS at 333 (5:6) 3-4-4-8 2T 2.75V

I cannot run the same timings 3-4-4-8 2T (or any I know of) at 266 (2:3) and pass post. I tried lower voltage etc.

I can however go way underclock at 1:2 (200) and pass post with any timings. 2.5-3-3-7

Hopefully you arent going to tell me to memtest the modules (lol) One of them is buried under my Ninja Heatsink fan. I suppose not a huge deal. But hopefully you can give me a magic solution.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

• Corsair Employees

NO its not a joke, if the memory will 1-1 with out over clocking then its not the memory that is the issue.

And if you have the CPU set to 275 Mhz with the memory Frequency set to DDR333 then actual memory clock would be 6\275 X 5 = 229.16 Mhz is what the memory would actually be running at. I would set the timings to 3-3-3-8 at 2.8 Volts and you might need to set the CPU and chipset Voltage as well to make the system stable at these settings, and or lower the CPU over clock a bit.

The thing is that I can run the memory overclocked at the 333 (~230MHz) divider and the cpu at 2750 MHz . W/ timings of 3-3-3-8. I can even pass post with the CPU at 2850MHz but my temps are to high at that point.

And I can underclock it at the 200 divider at the same cpu overclock.

BUT, I cannot pass any post with the divider at 266MHz no matter what my Ram voltage is and the timings are.

When I originally posted I had not done much testing. As of now I do not think it has anything to do with my Corsair memory. As I have tested both modules with no errors for 13 passes on 1module and 3 passes on the other. (Memtest)

I at one time was running my OC at 275x10 (2750 with the divider at 266 ~182 MHz & 2.5-3-3-7 2T 2.8v.

Now I am running at 2750 CPU and the 333 divider but it is not stable during encoding and I would rather slightly underclock it at the 266 divider (not the 200)

The mystery is why I can no longer use the 266 divider from 2710-2850 MHZ. but I can use the 333 and 200.

I appreciate your feedback.

• Corsair Employees
Have you changed the Bios version or the CPU? That may be why its not working now if it was working before. With some CPU's they will not run well with some divider settings because the stepping used in the CPU.

Ram Guy,

Thank you for replying.

Have you changed the Bios version or the CPU?

Yes I have. I re-flashed with the same bios that I was using when I was able to clock at the 266 divider. but still no luck passing post at the 2/3 with FSB 270+?.

I am still using the only CPU I have.

However I am running very stable at:

282x10=2820MHZ

W/ RAM @ 333 (5/6) divider ~ 234MHz 3-4-4-8 2T @ 2.85V

I tried 2.5cas and could not post. Any suggestions as to other timings that might be more flexible?

It would be nice to run it at the 266 (2/3) divider to see which is faster. SuperPI etc.

Which ram setting would you say is faster? what I have or;

2.5-3-3-7 @ ~187MHz (2/3 divider)

What do you think about using A64info to obtain different dividers?

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers

The CPU's may have different stepping and or multipliers and some of the Odd multiplier CPU's will have anomalies like this that is normal

That is kinda of the conclusion I have come to.

Which is why I wonder if trying a divider not offered in my bios might help fine tune things for me.

Thanks again

• 5 weeks later...

Ram guy,

I got another (identical) CPU and tried that and that did not resolve the issue. So I thought for sure it was the motherboard. So I got an identical motherboard. This did not resolve the issue.

So I just got another CPU, a Opteron 170 and I got even another new motherboard (A8N-E) and I have a new PSU (Antec NeoHE500)

And still, I cannot pass a post while at 2700+ at the 266 divider but I can at the 333 divider???

So It seams to me that the issue is not the CPU (for sure) and not the motherboard (I have tried 3 boards and there are no known issues of my type) or the PSU.

What else can it be??? I am thinking it must be the RAM or my video card?

Any ideas?

Thanks

What are the exact settings you are trying to get and what exactly can you get to.

Whenever I get my CPU speed to 2700MHz or more I cannot run my RAM at the 266 divider. This would be running the ram at a speed of ~179.5MHz (w/ cpu at 270x10) well under stock of 200MHz. I leave the timings at default of 3-3-3-8 2T as well.

My motherboard has the dividers listed (going down) at:400/333/266/200/100 (they also go up from 400)

I can however at these CPU speeds run the ram at the 333 divider. So at 2700MHz CPU the ram is overclocked to ~224.775 MHz which would be great if it were stable here and the timings could be better.

So ideally I would like to either run the ram at the 266 divider and run tighter timings or run a 9x multiplier and get the ram closer to 200MHZ but this is not an option.

To pass a post and to run stable at speeds of 2700+ I have to lower my divider way down below 266/133.

I have been able to run my Opteron at 2870 MHZ stable but to do so I have to set my ram divider to 200/100 giving me a speed of ~143MHZ.

I have tried to even loosen the timings to: 3-4-4-8.

My voltage is at 275v.

I have tried lower. I doubt this is the problem if it can run at the 333 divider but not the 266 divider.

I want to believe it is not my ram but it is hard to when I have replaced about everything else.

Thanks for the Friday evening reply. This issue is costing me enough money where I could have gone to another platform than socket 939 by now. I have 2 x-tra mobos/a new Opteron/a new PSU (which is good) and alot of empty AS5 grease tubes.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

If you are running the memory bellow DDR400 the timings would need to be at Cas 2.5-3-3-7 or Cas 2-3-3-6 but cas 3 will not work in some MB's at DDR333.

But what you have posted would suggest its just the limit of your CPU and MB as the memory will not care what you run it at as long as you are with in the tested spec of the modules.

But what you have posted would suggest its just the limit of your CPU and MB as the memory will not care what you run it at as long as you are with in the tested spec of the modules.

First of all I have tried (2) 3800+ X2 CPU's and (1) Opteron 170 and 3 diffferent motherboards. All with the same results.

And, there are numerous people out there that have the same CPU and Ram but not the issue I have.

Isn't running the XMS at 179.5 MHz "within the tested spec of the modules" ???? Because they do not run at this speed nor many other speeds.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

For testing procdures please try the following.

CPU Multi: 8x

CPU Frequency: 270MHZ

LDT Multiplier/Frequency: 3x or 600MHZ

Memory Frequency: 266MHZ

Memory Voltage: 2.75v

TCL: 2

TRCD: 3

TRP: 3

TRAS: 6

Command Rate: 2

Hi Ram Guy,

Nope. Same result. System freezes on post.

Thanks,

CH

• Corsair Employees

OK...Does the system run stable at these settings?

CPU Multi: 10x

CPU Frequency: 200MHZ

LDT Multiplier/Frequency: 5x/1000MHZ

Memory Frequency: 400MHZ

OK...Does the system run stable at these settings?

CPU Multi: 10x

CPU Frequency: 200MHZ

LDT Multiplier/Frequency: 5x/1000MHZ

Memory Frequency: 400MHZ

Yes,

I can boot into windows and things seem stable. I haven't tried any testing but I can get to Windows at those settings.

Again, just to reiterate; My problem is not one of instability. My problem is I freeze during post at that divider.

Since I have bought/replaced everything else, I have this ram on its way to see if it works at that divider.

I figured for the $ it will be worth it if it can tell me anything.

Thanks again

• Corsair Employees
If lockups occur with a certain divider, that is not RAM related but chipset, motherboard or memory controller related. That is why I asked you to run at those settings. The RAM is capable of running at 400MHZ.

If the 266 divider works with the ram I am getting tomorrow what would that mean? That something is wrong woith my ram that you have never seen before?

It seems very unlikely that the problem is CPU or Motherboard. Again these have been changed and other people with the exact components do not have the divider issue I have.

If the problem is not the ram it must be:

Video card

chipset drivers?

You have any idea what it would be if not the ram and not the cpu or motherboard.

I suppose if I put the test stick of ram in tomorrow and I have the same problems I'll leave you alone . lol

I appreciate your help

Thanks

Where do I start?

My XMS is bad! Or the 256 Value Select I spent ~$30 on is better.

I can post at any divider and any speed.

Here is the parameters you had me test at b-4

And I took it further with some decent overclocks that with the XMS I could not get into Windows with.

275x10= 2750 @266 divider

And,

280 x 10 = 2800MHz CPU & ram @266 divi.

After 3 motherboards, 2 PSU's, 3 dual core CPU's and 1 disposable stick of Corsair VS ram I think the results are definative.

I hope ASUS does not get wind of this! They have been great with new boards! And New Egg let me return the first CPU I used for testing. I am however stoked on the new Opteron I have in now; it blows away my X2 which by the way is one of the best steppings for a 3800+ so I am glad to know it is not damaged.

And I am glad I do not need to buy another Video card to test with.

What do you think Ram Guy?

Thanks again.

Archived