Corsair Community

4 sticks XMS2 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Problem

cpgmm

Hi there.. I originally had the ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 MB and a pair of

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

It was running at 378.4Mhz (lower than the 400) speed at 5-6-6-18-24 (CPU-Z) at 2.1v

And everything was fine. So now I added 2 more sticks of the same.. Identical sticks making it 4Gig. But Its giving me grief. machine screeches and freezes and what not.

I know the sticks by themselves are good,,cause when I swaped the 2 gigs with the new 2gigs. they run fine by themselves.

What do I do. Please help.

Should I return this and get 2 x 512 making it 3Gigs maybe even a faster memory. would that help. I would be happy with 3 Gigs as long as its not slower than my 2 Gig setup.

Thanks again.

Manny

Hi Manny,

I had exactly the same problem. BIOS P25. I found that I could run anywhere from 1G to 3G with not problems. Adding in the 4th DIMM would make the machine fail to POST. I tried all different Vcc, CAS timings and FSB under-clocking -- with no success. I also tried other Corsair memory (Dominator) -- that didn't work either. The thought of under-clocking to get a 4th DIMM module to work is nonsense to me. It fundamentally implies a signal integrity issue -- and that's just not acceptable to me when I'm dropping that kind of cash for a MB & RAM.

As my 15 days to return are approaching I took everything back. I figure I'll wait 6 months and then try again.

I did see a post in another forum that someone managed to get their system working with 4 1G DIMM modules (OCZ2P800R22GK). So, you might try that. Good luck.

-H

Archived