Corsair Community

RAM GUY - help needed on Corsair RAM & Asus Striker Extreme mobo

geoffp

Hi,

RAM GUY was referred to me at this site after I posted the same thread at Whirlpool.net.au however any and all help is greatly appreciated.

so

After upgrading my system RAM from 2Gig to 4 Gig I have had a ton of problems, with system instability, XP & Vista crashes, etc.

As such I spent quite a few hours running some memory tests using Mem86 test from a clean booted cd.

This is my first foray into in depth memory testing, parameters, etc.

Here is the information I have collected:

Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme DIMM Bank A1: BLUE DIMM Bank B1: WHITE

DIMM Bank A2: BLUE DIMM Bank B2: WHITE

Voltage to DIMM Banks manually adjusted in BIOS to 2.10V

BIOS consistently reported maximum available amount of RAM depending on number of modules inserted.

SLI Memory Mode = Disabled - BIOS reported RAM at 5.5.5.18

SLI Memory Mode = Enabled - BIOS reported RAM at 4.4.4.12

Silverstone 850W Power Supply

Ram Modules:Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4PRO XMS6404v2.2 4-4-4-12 800MHz TWINX Matched Serial # (37 & 38) & (62 & 63)

Game test software in XP Pro SP2 is Lock On - Modern Air Combat (Lo-MAC)

Game run with 2 x 8800GTS GPU's in SLI Mode - resolution 1680x1050 - every detail max'ed out using LOMAN.

Individual testing of each RAM Module (SLI Memory Mode was Disabled) showed the following results:

RAM Module Serial# 37 DIMM Banks A1 A2 B1 - Passed / DIMM Bank B2 Failed

RAM Module Serial# 38 DIMM Banks A1 A2 B1 B2 - Passed

RAM Module Serial# 62 DIMM Banks A1 A2 B1 B2 - Passed

RAM Module Serial# 63 DIMM Banks A1 A2 B1 B2 - Passed

RAM Module Serial# 37 consistently failed ONLY on DIMM Bank B2 (furthest from the CPU).

RAM Testing Results Table

Conclusions:

RAM Module Serial# 37 may possibly be faulty.

Test 2B indicated multiple RAM address failures in Mem86 testing.

Test 3A & 3B indicated available RAM at 2.75Gb with 3 x 1Gb modules inserted and reported in BIOS.

Test 2A indicated available RAM at 2.75Gb (sames as test 3A & 3B) even though 4 x 1Gb modules were inserted and reported in BIOS.

Questions:

Why is the no increase in Available RAM when adding another 1Gb module?

Do i have sufficient voltage made available to the DIMM banks?

Re tests 2A & 2B, why does enabling the SLI Memory Mode induce errors in mem86 test causing xp & vista to crash? I would have thought that enabling SLI Memory Mode which indicates the RAM is running at 4.4.4.12 would be a good thing. That is the RAM module latency (think I got the terminology right there) - it SHOULD work properly.

Are there other settings in BIOS I need to adjust to settle the motherboard down, or is this all caused by a possibly faulty stick of RAM?

I really need some help here as I am unsure at to whether I return the RAM or the problem is in the motherboard maybe with the BIOS, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

• Corsair Employees
Please try and set the memory frequency manually to DDR667 at 2.1 Volts and I would leave the timings set to By SPD and with 4 modules I am sorry but you might not be able to run at DDR2 800 because of loading on the memory controller.

Thanks for the quick response RAM GUY.

I have posted in the ASUS forums asking for help in how to change the BIOS settings (I'm a bit of a newb in regard to memory parameters, BIOS changes for memory, etc - but I'm learning :) ).

What is the advantages/disadvantages running at the reduced speed of DDR667?

I am currently running 3 modules with SLI Memory Mode enabled providing 2.75Gb available RAM in Vista/XP. By doing so I am not running in matched pairs on the mobo.

If I could run successfully all 4 modules in matched pairs and Vista/XP still only show 2.75Gb (which it does), do I get a speed benefit from having both matched pairs installed as opposed to only having 3 modules installed?

My test results showed that RAM Module# 37 consistently failed on memtest #6 in DIMM Bank 2B. All other modules were fine in that DIMM Bank. Does this indicate that RAM Module# 37 is faulty?

• Corsair Employees
What is the advantages/disadvantages running at the reduced speed of DDR667?

A: I have answered these questions so many times please search for them for more details and I think It will be more clear.

I have not seen to many MB's if any that will run 4 modules at DDR800 because of loading on the memory controller. This is normal to have to slow the memory down so the memory controller can access all of the memory.

I am currently running 3 modules with SLI Memory Mode enabled providing 2.75Gb available RAM in Vista/XP. By doing so I am not running in matched pairs on the mobo.

A: There is a setting to re-map the memory over 4.0 Gig in your Bios please consult your user manual to set the Bios properly to see all 4 Gig.

Then you have to have a Operating system able to see over 32-Bit IE 64-Bit to see the full size.

Some links to other posts that are related:

Twinx-2048-3200c2 - 3.25gb

BIOS sees 4GB, Windows sees 2.96!

My test results showed that RAM Module# 37 consistently failed on memtest #6 in DIMM Bank 2B. All other modules were fine in that DIMM Bank. Does this indicate that RAM Module# 37 is faulty?

A: Please test this module by it self at the tested setting with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. With Legacy USB Disabled.

Archived