Corsair Community

1gb to 2gb on A8N-SLI

shaneric

Just bought another 2x512mb VS512MB400, popped them into slots A2, B2 on my A8N-SLI... then the PC just restarts before it gets to load the OS.

Memory I have in there already is 2x512mb VS512MB400 (slots A1, B1)... which seems to be the same as what I bought. Same package, same everything. Only the new one has 8 of the little black 64mb (it says 64M8BDBG) things on the module and the old one has 16x32mb I think.

Each set work fine by themselves, but not together. Are they just not compatible?

I've had the same problem. Using 2 (old) Corsair VS512MB400 DIMMs consisting out of 16 * 32MB memories and 2 (new) Corsair VS512MB400 DIMMs consisting out of 8 * 64MB memories did not work on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard on first try. It resulted in the Windows XP boot error message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

After upgrading the A8N-SLI Deluxe Bios from version 1014 to version 1016 the problem disappeared.

The remaining issue was that the memory was clocked with 333MHz instead of 400MHz using the auto memory configuration. I fixed this by selecting a manual configuration and set the clock rate to 400MHz.

Archived