Corsair Community

is it enough power

mickyboy

since going sli with 2 8800 gtx,s my games have been locking up after about 10 mins or so, is this due to me running a 620 watt psu, system is as follows, evga 680i m/b, intel core 2 duo x6800 extreme, 2x 8800 gtx, 4 gig ddr2 8500 ram, 2 wester digital hard drives in sata raid 0, creative xfi extreme gamer sound card, sony and panasonic dvd drives.

• Corsair Employees
since going sli with 2 8800 gtx,s my games have been locking up after about 10 mins or so, is this due to me running a 620 watt psu, system is as follows, evga 680i m/b, intel core 2 duo x6800 extreme, 2x 8800 gtx, 4 gig ddr2 8500 ram, 2 wester digital hard drives in sata raid 0, creative xfi extreme gamer sound card, sony and panasonic dvd drives.

Locking up after 10 minutes or so sounds like a temperature issue, not a power issue. Try taking the side of your case off for a few minutes and seeing if the lockup still happens.

sys cofig is in the first post, think i,ve put it all down , tried each card at a time, no probs running single cards, took the sound card out, no change, well after a lot of dicking around prey, combat fltsim 3, train sim, and call of duty 2 seem to be friends with sli now, just need to sort out fltsim x, which is more graphic intense than the others with the settings up.

• 1 month later...

Just a suggestion - I have heard (can't quote anything though) that the current (even beta ones) Vista drivers for the 8800s are quite the crap to say the least - although for just some people - (i.e. blue screens/crashes etc.) so it might just be the driver that's junk at the moment.

You might want to visit the Nvidia forums for more info about specific cases and read the vista driver stuff and issues they have on there and see if that's anything like you're experiencing.

I myself have a 8800 gtx and I'm still holding off Vista even though I get the business edition free from school, because of all the problems I'm hearing about and the sheer lack of directx10 anything (which is the biggest "selling point" for vista for me anyway).

I think I'll install a dual-boot on one of my hard drives by the end of this month, especially if the dx10 patch for supreme commander or company of heroes comes out. Otherwise, it will likely be at halo 2 release when I make the move.

• 1 month later...

I know I have seen stuff saying that with 2 8800GTX plus all your other hardware you should probably be using at least a 800W PSU. Could be burning on the PSU. I have 1 8800GTX & I use a 700W.

Also do you have the 4 pin Molex in the Mobo; and do you have the pci-e power connectors for the cards on seperate rails or are you using Molex shared with other hardware? I am asking because you could be under volting your vid cards.

Archived