Corsair Community

Problem with 2* 2048MB Corsair PC2-800 CL4 KIT TWIN2X2048-6400C4

Rhas

I'am using two 2048MB Corsair PC2-800 CL4 KIT TWIN2X2048-6400C4 in an ASUS Striker Extrem with BIOS Rev. 901.

Using only one Kit (2 GB total memory) works just fine. Using 2 Kit's (4 GB total memory) will result in frequent memory related crashes.

I have swaped the 2 Kits for the 2GB setup to make shure each one works and no problem.

So the Question is: Is this a known problem and is there a way to get this board to run with 4GB corsair TWIN2x200048-6400C4 ?

Most frustration: A friend runs in 4GB setup with the same board and rather cheap memory without any problems.......

Glad for any help... :-)

Regards,

Rhas

The problem lies with the memory controller limitations of all current DDR2-800 platforms. Such platforms are limited to four ranks total of DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) memory (this corresponds to 2 double-ranked sticks of memory, or one dual-channel kit). If you want to run 4 sticks of memory (2 dual-channel kits), you will have to use memory rated for DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) or slower operation for optimal stability.

Same problem here but i have tried setting access to DDR2-667 in the BIOS. Still the same problem. BTW: ASUS states 4 GB running at DDr2-800 should be fine.

MiKl

That's true only if all four of the DDR2-800 sticks are fully compliant with the JEDEC reference specs for that memory speed class. Unfortunately, almost all DDR2-800 sticks that you can currently buy are not fully JEDEC-standards-compliant because they deviate from the reference standard timings and voltage (put it this way, most DDR2-800 modules on the market have lower-than-standard latencies and require a higher-than-standard DIMM voltage in order to work properly).

Thanks for the answer :-)

So if i got this right theire is no way for me to get the 4 GB corsair to work with my ASUS Striker ?:-(

Could a possible future BIOS update fix this (last hope) or is this an issue which cant be fixed in the BIOS ?

I not i guess i have to return my memory:-(

MiKl

Archived