Corsair Community

620HX 12v rail question

mrgoodkat

I have just installed my 620HX and using the newest build of Everest by lavalys Im seeing my 12v rail at 11.90v and it fluctuates down to 11.84v frequently. Im not under any load whatsoever. It has also fluctuated up to 11.97v one time for a split second.

All the reviews Ive seen show that it should be stable and around 11.99v.

This PC was my first build, built over a year ago with a cheap PSU that was always stable at a horrible 11.71v. Ive never had any other problems with the build.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow Ive messed up with the modular connectors. Im not running that much at all(see specs below), so Im thinking that perhaps I used the wrong cable to plug in my DVD-rom or perhaps didnt plug the connectors into the proper places on the PSU itself. I have my HDD(SATA) plugged into the first modular position from the right, that is if you were looking at the back of the PSU. I have my DVD-rom plugged into the next modular position from the right. After consulting the "which rail is which" sticky both are plugged into the green box.

With the DVD-rom, I used the cable that has 3 connectors.

Maybe Im just being paranoid but from all I have read the 12v rail should be stable and around 11.99v. Other than that the PSU works fine and the PC is stable, no crashes.

Im a newb and Im lost. Im thinking that perhaps I should take it in to get looked at.

Specs:

ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe

Athlon64 3200+

Maxtor 80gb(SATA)

Sony DVD-rom

ATI radeon x800xl 256mb(does NOT require connection to PSU)

Onboard sound-realtek

besides the motherboard itself the only things running off the PSU are the HDD and the DVD-rom.

The PC the PSU is running does not have a connection to the internet. Im at a buddy's house using his connection so I apologize for not giving you the info on all the rails. From what I can remember though the 3v and 5v are in good ranges but all fluctuate a bit.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for the response.

I don't currently have access to a meter but plan on picking one up. I'm using Everest and my Bios to monitor.

When idle everything is fine and Ive only played Battlefield 2 for around 45 minutes last night. No crashes or anything but I did notice that the PSU got fairly hot and didn't appear to compensate with higher fan speeds. In other words it seemed as if the fan speed stayed the same under load as it does idle.

Ive been told that the voltages are well within acceptable limits. I'm still concerned though about the fluctuations understanding that in this regard software just isn't all that reliable. Although both my Bios and 2 software monitoring utilities show the same. I have friends who use the same software and own the same PSU and their rails don't fluctuate and the 12v is at 11.99v or higher.

I was under the impression that a good PSU should have solid rails. All of the rails fluctuate a bit.

Also, I noticed a sound coming from the PSU. Its hardly audible unless you put your ear close to it however it sounds like the fan on my old PSU when it started to die. For lack of a better explanation, it sounds as if the fan is very lightly clipping a piece of plastic, its very faint. Similar to what this gentlemen was hearing I think:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=57127

• Corsair Employees
thanks for the response.

I don't currently have access to a meter but plan on picking one up. I'm using Everest and my Bios to monitor.

When idle everything is fine and Ive only played Battlefield 2 for around 45 minutes last night. No crashes or anything but I did notice that the PSU got fairly hot and didn't appear to compensate with higher fan speeds. In other words it seemed as if the fan speed stayed the same under load as it does idle.

Ive been told that the voltages are well within acceptable limits. I'm still concerned though about the fluctuations understanding that in this regard software just isn't all that reliable. Although both my Bios and 2 software monitoring utilities show the same. I have friends who use the same software and own the same PSU and their rails don't fluctuate and the 12v is at 11.99v or higher.

I was under the impression that a good PSU should have solid rails. All of the rails fluctuate a bit.

Also, I noticed a sound coming from the PSU. Its hardly audible unless you put your ear close to it however it sounds like the fan on my old PSU when it started to die. For lack of a better explanation, it sounds as if the fan is very lightly clipping a piece of plastic, its very faint. Similar to what this gentlemen was hearing I think:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=57127

First things first.

All power supplies will have slight voltage fluctuations. The normal range is +/-5%. 5% of 12 is .6, so you are well within spec between 11.4V and 12.6V on the +12V rail.

Secondly, voltage fluctuation between 11.84 and 12.97 is literally a .13V range, or roughly 1% of the proper voltage. Since the margin of error of the onboard voltage measurements is well above that, we can't really verify whether or not the thing is actually fluctuating even to THAT small a degree. The only really viable way to measure voltage fluctuation is with a multimeter, so I'd put your fears at rest about that one.

After looking at your system, you're likely not using a significant amount of draw even during a multi-hour gaming session, your components are very efficient and don't require a lot of power. So I wouldn't worry about that, either.

The noise you hear could just be normal fan noise, and if you want you can stop the fan with a pencil eraser or a pen and see if the noise stops, or if you're really uncomfortable with it, we'll gladly RMA the PSU for you and get you a new one.

I don't think it's necessary and I don't think you have to worry about it, but it's got a 5-year warranty and we've only been selling them for about 8 months, so I'm pretty sure you're still covered if you're really concerned. :)

Thank you for the response.

At this point I'm more worried about the noise that I believe is coming from the fan. Not to be standoffish but Ive never heard of "normal fan noise". Its not simply the fan displacing air that I'm hearing, its a very faint clicking sound. It wasn't there when I first installed it, it began on the second day. However your the man, so if you say there is "normal fan noise" I'll take your word for it.

I'll try stopping the fan just to be sure. At first I thought it might be one of the electrical components doing its thing. To be sure though, I'll try stopping it.

I was just under the assumption it might be better to send it back to Newegg before my 30 day replacement is up, which I still have plenty of time obviously. Thinking that they would just replace the unit instead of putting it on a bench. I use this PC for work mostly, so down time hurts and my old PSU is done for.

Also I know this PSU is complete overkill for my system but I plan on in the near future going SLI and adding some other things so I wanted to future proof since I absolutely needed to buy a new PSU.

again, thanks for the help.

Archived