Corsair Community

XMS TWINX2048 6400C4 timing+voltage question

Jedite

Hey all. Heres a quick question.

I sent a message to Corsair Xpress support earlier because I wasnt able to get my Memory to the EPS specified timings. My mobo MSI P965 Platinum was setting it to 5-5-5-18 at 1.9v, while it should be 4-4-4-12 2.1v.. Anyhow originally my problem was that I was setting the voltage through MSIs Dual Corecenter software and well its just a softswitch and doesnt actually change the settings on the BIOS..

So later on, I finally got the timings and the voltage set to 4-4-4-12 2.1v, however as some of you may know CPUZ reads these timings for this board as 3-4-4-12 2.1v.

Someone got back to me through the Xpress thing and told me to set them to 5-4-4-12 at 1.9v...

Anyways, isnt what he told me a bit backwards though? From what he said the BIOS CAS setting is a bit funky, and when you set to a number say 4 it actually sets it to 3, or thats alteast what CPUZ shows. Even if that is so, wouldnt my voltage be too low for the 4-4-4-12 setting since the EPS setting is 4-4-4-12 2.1v

So basically my question is this, Should I just leave the settings how I have them 4-4-4-12 2.1v eventhough CPUZ reads them as 3-4-4-12 2.1v, or go with the settings he suggested (5-4-4-12 1.9v which CPUZ would read 4-4-4-12)?

I guess the bigger question is.. Is CPUZ reporting the correct timings or is the BIOS just giving CPUZ the wrong CAS timing? Or is the BIOS really setting the CAS 1 number lower than what the user sets it to?

CPU-Z is reporting the correct timings. I would say you should be running at 5-4-4-12 to get 4-4-4-12. If however you are Memtest stable or orthos stable at 3-4-4-12 there is probably no reason to go to higher timings.

You cannot damage your ram by running tighter tiings but if it is unstable it may corrupt your os in the end.

I know about the timings but im worried about the voltage...

So I should leave it at 5-4-4-12 1.9v Which translates to 4-4-4-12 in CPUZ or go up to 2.1v? Or back to 4-4-4-12 2.1v which translates to 3-4-4-12 in CPUZ?

Ran memtest for 7hrs with 5-4-4-12 1.9v(4-4-4-12 in CPUZ) and 0 errors in 17passes.

Ok I ran some more tests and found something interesting.

Right now I have my timings set on the bios as 5-4-4-12 1.9v. CPUZ recognizes this as 4-4-4-12. However Everest recognizes them as 5-4-4-12. I recieved an email from the techsupport and he says these modules wont work at 3-4-4-12.

So with everything that ive said in this thread, is it possible that its CPUZ thats not reading the CAS corectly and that the BIOS does set it correctly since Everest coroborates the BIOS setting?

Since my module cannot run at CAS 3, I am inclined to say that CPUZ is simply not displaying the information correctly, since I was able to run MEMTEST with bios settings of 4-4-4-12 2.1v through 3 passes and everything ran fine.

I would tend to agree and have you checked with the maker of the MB for a newer Bios?

ATM im running the latest BIOS.. v1.3 for the MSI P965 Platinum..

One thing Ram guy, just so im 100% sure.. the TWINX2048 6400C4 are certified to run at 4-4-4-12 2.1v right? I know they are cert for those timings but with what the tech guy told me over email now Im questionning the Voltage.

Thanks again =)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived