Corsair Community

Random Freezes

uclown2002

Since I installed this cpu a few months ago I have suffered from random freezes up to 2 weeks apart, whether carrying out low or high cpu intensive tasks. I had no issues with 3700+ San Diego. The screen will either lock up completely, i.e keyboard/mouse not responsive and taskbar, time etc frozen. More recently, I am able to move mouse cursor around the screen but not able to open anything as it is frozen. I'm not convinced it is memory as I have just bought this kit, and had same behaviour with 1024XMS (2x512MB) 3200XL. Think problem with cpu and memory settings. I've tried fresh install, cloning hard drive, obviously changing memory, 3 different bioses. Memtest shows zero errors and orthos.exe can run for 30-40 hrs until a freeze. Currently have memory set at 2.75V, everything else at stock. Minimal programs installed, all of which were present with old cpu.

Any thoughts before I change cpu?

Dave

As Long as you're sure the bios version you have now supports that 4600X2 and you have reinstalled Xp to rebuild the HAL (hardware abstraction layer database), not just reinstalled a cloned Xp copy from when the 3700 was in the system, you probably will need to go over to the following Amd link and grab the following driver, second one up from the bottom, called the "AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16 ":

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

ps: this driver seems to fix alot of issues like the ones you're experiencing. The topmost driver on that page is only for certain brand game instability issues. Also, most folks disable the Amd Cool & Quiet option in the Bios for better stability as well.

Thanks for your reply.

The bios is the latest one, and supports X2.

I should have said I have the X2 cpu driver already installed, as well as the Dual Core Optimer and the MS Hotfix. Perhaps I should try uninstalling the Dual Core Optimiser?

I have done a fresh install with new cpu although the XL3200 was in my system then. I changed memory (excuse for an upgrade) and problems persisted. Thinking a hard drive fault, I cloned OS to anoother drive and problem remain.

Cool and Quiet has always been disabled.

Well let's see here (thinking aloud). When Windows builds the HAL database during an install, it doesn't see RAM directly just the memory controller (MMU), so which set of RAM is in there shouldn't matter; plus since the RAM passed Memtest, I don't think it's a RAM issue anyway. The Dual Core processor driver, linked to above, addresses timing issues between the operating system and synchronization between the two cores, if I remember right, and has proven to work correctly, even on some dual-core Intel rigs suprisingly enough. The MSHotfix was written to address issues with Amd's Cool & Quiet implementation where the system had difficulty coming out of a suspend state and since you've disabled Cool & Quiet in the BIOS, it shouldn't have any effect at all. With the Dual-Core Optimizer driver, Amd originally only recommended it's use only on systems with particular games and did not recommend it for systems without those particular games; but I don't know what they're advising about it now. On my own X2 system and X2 systems I've fixed, I've only installed the driver mentioned and linked to in the above post.

Other thoughts. Did you make up the SATA driver disk off of the motherboard CD's included SATA driver disk utility for use during the Windows install when Windows asks if you have any RAID or other drivers at the F6 prompt? If you have Xp Pro or Media Center edition, it might be worth looking at Event Viewer to see if Xp has logged any warnings or errors. Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Event Viewer-Left click System in the left pane-right click an error or warning in the right pane and click Properties or left click Application and right click errors or warnings and left click Properties. Sometimes Event Viewer will point you to a faulty/corrupt driver or application that is causing the problem. Sometimes not.

Thanks again; I appreciate the input.

I've uninstalled the dualcore optimiser; while I carry out further tests. I agree that it is probably not a memory issue as I've tried two different kits, both of which pass memtest. My system was rock-solid until I went to a dual core, so it has to be a dual core issue.

I've never loaded the sata/raid drivers at F6, when not using raid; and windows has had no trouble seeing the sata drive. May do so if I choose to do another re-install.

Nothing significant in event viewer.

As stated earlier, I thought about changing cpu but if it was faulty I doubt it would show it, only in this particular way. Expect to see some other strange behaviour.

I've uninstalled logitech setpoint.exe software while I troubleshoot but again this did not present any problem with single core.

I guess that if memory wasn't set-up properly I may see other behaviour as well, and that is not the case.

The 3700+ san diego and XMS 1024 XL worked well with 2.75v; is it possible, as memory controller is on the cpu, that the both sets of memory I have tried need less juice with the X2? Perhaps I'm clutching at straws, as they both sailed through memtest for 8-12 hrs but don't want to rule anything out?

Regards.

Dave

Archived