Corsair Community

TWINX1024-XL bad in dual channel mode

ellismp

I have two matched pairs of TWINX1024-XL - one pair in each of two different PCs, both with the same Motherboard - Gigabyte K8NPRO-SLI.

One machine runs memtest86+ for hours with no errors. The other shows multiple errors (and also fails the Vista memory test).

I have swapped the modules between the PC's and that moves the errors with the RAM - ie the machine with the "faulty" RAM is the one that fails the tests.

I have tried removing one module at a time but as single modules they show no errors. Just as a pair installed and running in dual channel 128-bit mode. The M/Bs both have the latest BIOS and all settings as per the tested settings in your link.

What should I do next?

OK, so one pair works fine running for hours on memtest86+ at 2-2-2-5 timings.

The other pair works fine at 2-3-3-6 but fails with mulitple errors at 2-2-2-5 - on the same M/B, same BIOS settings etc. etc.

Is the second pair faulty? Should I RMA them?

Thanks

Martin

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Aha! Thank you - the BIOS does not show the DIMM voltage but using Easytune I can see that the default is 2.6V - I have tried at +.1V and still got errors but am now trying at +.2V and so far so good (9hours on memtest86+)

However, +.2V is the maximum the board will allow - so if I still get errors, how do I go to +.3V?

It's TWINX1024-3200XL so I'm running at 2-2-2-5 latencies as per the spec.

Thanks

Martin

Archived