Corsair Community

Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus - CM2X1024-6400C3D

parkerdt

I have the above motherboard running with a Core2 Duo Extreme 6800 and 2 sticks of the above Corsair RAM. SLI mode for memory enabled, and I am getting 3-4-3-9-1 timings according to CPUz, (even though I though it was supposed to be 2T) and all is working great.

Has this combo been tested with 4 sticks? I'd love to go to 4g memory, but don't care to spend $400+ to experiment....

thanks!

Dave Parker

Bah I guess I'll stick with 2 gig then - I love the low latency of the C3 sticks, but sure would hate to have to go to DDR667...

thanks!

Dave

seems to be a bug in the bios and the latest bios should solve the 2t command Rate issue but just set it manually and with 4 modules you may have to run the memory at DDR667.

Well, I have tried Bios Versions 0501 and 0602 (beta) for this board, and in neither case does this ram function correctly with them. I've had to revert to 0302. I've set timings manually to 3-4-3-9 2T, and voltage to 2.4 as that seems to be what the mobo wanted when I tried SLI-enables with 0% CPU overclock. Have you guys gotten this RAM to run with the new ASUS bioses? What am I missing? This board seems extrordinarily hard to get up and running sorrectly, so far.

thanks,

Dave

Thanks, can you tell me what bios settings might work with the new Asus BIOS? I can easily load either 0501 or 0602. I'm stating to pull my hair out over instability - oh yes, it is Vista 32-bit - so new machine new mobo, new RAM and new OS - just have not been able to ge them to play nice yet. I'm using CPUz 1.39 which is the latest I can find.

So give me a hint, please, as to what bios and how you guys set it that worked - I'd like to actually use this expensive beast. :)

Appreciate the help!

thanks,

Dave

Flashed again to BIOS 0602 beta.

Powered down, removed power cord and battery.

Removed one stick of RAM.

Waited 5 mins.

Reinstalled battery, booted.

Set memory to SLI, saved settings, rebooted.

Checked everything, shutdown

reinstall second stick of RAM.

Reboot, and looks ok.

Major difference from last time was pulling the battery. SLI now detects the RAM at 3-4-3-9 2T and 2.4 volts, which seems to work, tho the voltage seems high....

Off to run memtest for a bit.

thanks,

Dave

I can't. The board will not POST on even a single stick with bios 0602 after removing power and battery for an hour. one long BEEEEEEEEP, then nothing. And ASUS no longer provides beep codes.

I need to find a board that will run Vista stable with this RAM, a Conroe 6800 an NVidia 7950 GS, and my 3-ware PCI-x4 raid controller. This board is not it.

Only other possibility I can think of is the PS, but I've heard good things about the Thermaltake ToughPower 650, and it runs fine in all my other machines.

Interesting - it appears ASUS has just removed this and other Corsair from their QVL for this motherboard. Ah well, $400+ for RAM and $230 for mobo down the tubes, now. Gotta love life on the bleeding edge :)

Did you try and manually set the timings to a more relaxed setting like Cas 4-4-4-12 at 2.4 Volts and see if thats stable?

Will do - they both give "C1" codes in my new ECS PN2 SLI2+ as well - the cheapie OCZ stick I picked up with the new mobo posts in both my new mobo and the ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus, so I am assuming I now have two bad Dominator sticks.

After a few hours, the ASUS board still has wierd memory problems (video tearing, etc); but so far the ECS board seems very stable under Vista.

Will the ECS board run 4gb of Dominator-6400C3 at the EPP timings?

Off to RMA.

thanks,

Dave

Same 4 me, on my second set of 6400 c3fd's with the EVGA 680i. The first set were very strange: I have 2 EVGA 680i mobo's(bios 24 & 25) both halt on boot giving the 1d or c1 error... Yet when I put the same 6400 c3fd's in the Asus p5n-e sli 650i mobo they work no problem. So far my second set are ok in the EVGA 680i, using 2.4v 3-4-3-9. Think there's an issue with this memory. I used some cheap kingston hyper x 6400 c4 ddr2 in all 3 boards absolutely zero issues, even when pushed o/c n volted.

Not sure in my case whether it is the RAM or Mobo with the problem, but I do know that the RAM has deteriorated to not booting with the mobo at all. We'll see after my RMA is completed.

The P5N32-E SLI Plus is one bear of a mobo - my new ECS PN2-SLI2 is already much more stable after 24 hours that I was ever able to to get the ASUS board in two weeks.

Dave

Archived