Corsair Community

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum TWINX2048-3200C2PT

basketcase

I purchased 2 TWINX2048-3200C2PT for a total of 4GB last week, memory arrived yesterday afternoon, all was well this morning until I woke up and found the computer had blue screened about 14 hours after installing the RAM. I restarted, came back up. A number of programs encountered errors and needed to close, I restarted.

Upon restart, I reset BIOS to defaults and loaded XP up. No Change in stability.

Came here, found that timing and such can be set by SPD, but set voltage to 2.7V. Didn't affect stability.

Working on updating the BIOS now.

Any other suggestions?

MSI-K8N Neo 4 Platinum

TWINX2048-3200C2PT x2 for 4GB Total

Seagate 80GB HDD x2 RAID 0 Boot

Maxtor 250GB HDD RAID JBOD Data

SB-Live 5.1

Nvidia 6600GT with Dell 2001FP and Apple Studio Display

Updated BIOS

Updated Chipset Drivers

Updated AMD Drivers

Updated Sound Drivers

Reset Factory Defaults in the BIOS

Everything was running great with my Old 1GB, put the 4GB in, computer wouldn't post. Reset BIOS per reset button on motherboard, reseated Video card, up and running now.

Initial tests don't show any signs of instability. If I get another blue-screen, I'll run memtest.

Well got a BSOD shortly after booting up, so I tested all for and got errors right off the bat.

Then tested each stick indvidually, 3 passed, one failed on test 4, 28% with 31744 Errors.

So I'm guessing RMA will happen. Can I just send back the one bad stick or do I need to send back the pair?

Only unique number I can find on the RAM is 07050194-3

Also with all 4 sticks in here are the specs:

RAM: 157MHz DDR315 / CAS: 3-3-3-7 / Dual Channel (128 bit)

I thought it was supposed to run at 2-3-3-6

Each individual Stick tested with these specs:

RAM: 200MHz DDR401 / CAS 3-3-3-8 / Single Channel (64 bits)

Thanks!

BTW, if I only need to send back the one bad stick, can I run the other 3GB w/o any problems?

Timings for ONE pair:

CAS Latency (tCL): 2

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Memory Voltage: 2.7-2.8 Volts (Warrantied up to, but not over, 2.90 volts)

All other settings to defaults.

Source: Corsair XMS Qualification and Testing Information

timings aren't guaranteed for > 2 sticks, and your CPU's memory controller is most likely being overcome w/ > 2 sticks and lowering the memory speed.

What's the VERSION NUMBER of each pair?

How To Read the Memory Label

• Corsair Employees

Suggested timings for for more than ONE pair:

Memory Freq: DDR333/166MHz (Your MB because the CPU may not set it exactly at DDR333)

CAS Latency (tCL): 2.5

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7

Memory Voltage: 2.7-2.8 Volts

• Corsair Employees
Originally Posted by RAM GUY

OK that makes more sence.

Let's get them All replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

If you have them all in one system you should get them all repleaced so they match. But you should talk to our customer service and see if they can match them for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I should bring this topic back to the top with new issues related to my replacements or if I should start a new topic.

Anyways, here goes.

Got the replacements on Tuesday of this week. Stuck all 4 sticks in the box, computer would NOT POST. Pulled out a pair, computer then POST'd. Set timings per above post then stuck the other pair in the box, WOULD NOT POST. Took that pair down to 1 stick, computer POST'd, stuck the other stick in the box, and NO POST.

So process of elimination took me down to 1 stick that would not allow the computer to POST. I called Tech Support, he asked me what I did, then forwarded me to the RMA department. New RMA, more memory on it's way.

Kind of 0 for 2 here or 2 for 8 however you want to look at it. This will be my 3rd RMA for this RAM with 1 stick for every 4 sticks bad. I asked that these 4 new sticks that are being sent me be tested, and the lady at the RMA desk said she would have them tested. I received a phone call Friday afternoon to call someone back to troubleshoot the issue further. I tried calling today, but no answers.

When I threw all 4 sticks in my box, and it would not post, I reset the BIOS, still had no affect. It was only after I had that one bad stick out of the box would the computer post.

I couldn't even run Memtest because the computer would not POST with that RAM in the box.

Thoughts?

Somehow had modules sitting at my house today.

Per the advice of the RAM Guy over the phone, reset BIOS defaults, shutdown PC, installed all 4 sticks and ran Memtest twice. No Errors.

2 hours later, firefox is crashing every 10 minutes or so, and 1 BSOD.

STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC00000005, 0X80541390, 0XAA884548, 0X00000000)

Verified everything was up to date (Drivers, Firmware, BIOS, Software, etc.)

I'm at a loss.

Timings are set at 2.5-3-3-7 @ 2.7V @ 157MHz (DDR315)

BTW, Google Search showed stuff not necessarily related to Hardware, though it seems the 0x0000008e is a hardware/RAM stop code.

Even found something related to a rootkit and searched using AVG's Anti-Rootkit scanner. Found nothing.

Another BSOD

BAD_POOL_HEADER

0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0X8A92DBCB, 0X8A92DBD8 ... Didn't get the last part, computer restarted before I could.

Here is what is throwing me. It is set to put an event in the event log, but there isn't one. It is also set to put a .dmp file in the %systemroot%/Minidump directory, but there are no files.

I'm gonna do another memory scan see what I come up with.

More Info....

Installed PC Alert 4 from the CD that came with the MOBO..

Voltage:

Vcore - 1.5

3.3V - 3.03

+5V - 4.97

+12 - When it shows, only shows 2.04V

The PSU is an Antec 480W, at the time it was the best there was.

Fan:

CPU - 2410

System Fan - 4560

PSU Fan - 8881

Temp:

CPU - 50* C

System - 45* C

The errors you have listed would suggest some other problem, can you test them in another system?

The only other system I have available to me that supports PC3200 is my Shuttle XPC box. It is an Athlon XP 2400+. Not certain if this memory will work in that computer though.

BTW, the above error in Memtest isn't an error specifically with the memory?

• Corsair Employees

No you can go to their sight and get more help but its not very clear.

But as rule errors in test 5-8 would suggest some other problem, if you have a failing module you will normally get errors in test 2-4 and they will consistent not matter what voltage or frequency they are running at

No you can go to their sight and get more help but its not very clear.

But as rule errors in test 5-8 would suggest some other problem, if you have a failing module you will normally get errors in test 2-4 and they will consistent not matter what voltage or frequency they are running at

Per the memory selector on Corsair's site, it does look like these modules are supported in my XPC box.

I'll test them one at a time when I get home.

Care to take a whack at why I'm getting BSOD's with these modules and not any other modules?

Archived