Corsair Community

Bad 6400 C5 Module ?

Buckster

Please can you tell me whether this RAM is RMA'able please:

I have 2x1 gig modules, with a E6600 Conroe + P5B Deluxe mobo

@ 2.88 gig overclock - with RAM divider set to 4:5 - ie memory at 800 MHz, manually set to 5-5-5-15 @ either AUTO VDimm or 1.9 VDimm or 1.95V VDimm I get Orthos errors (lasts 20 seconds !) and Memtest errors. Its so unstable in windows it will periodically just completely reboot.

Memtest ... Test 3 Pass 0 Address 0003C0CC1fc - 960.7MB

test sometimes fails on different tests, but seems to always be @ 960.7MB

@ no CPU overclock, with RAM divider set to 1:1 memory 800Mhz - no errors (although have yet to leave it overnight)

I know its definately not the CPU as if I drop the divider to 1:1, and go to 700MHz CAS4 on the RAM @ 1.95V it passes several hours of memtest and also Orthos - and this is with CPU @ 3.15 gig.

700MHz CAS4 is quite an overclock of the RAM really, it just doesn't seem to like 800MHz or above @ higher fsbs.

A collleague at work has exact same system, same RAM modules same processor (even same week) - and his is fine.

<UPDATE> - Orthos only stable for 9 minutes at stock CPU speed, and stock RAM speed :( - ie 2.4 gig, 2:3 RAM, and RAM at SPD settings - 5-5-5-18 @ DDR 800...

<UPDATE 2> Ran Memtest while I was at work this morning (5 hours), stock everything, and it came up with 7 failures, all in test 7 on different runs, but all on same "bit" of memory space.

Any ideas please ?

thanks, Best Regards,

Mark.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and set the timings to the tested settings and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

hi there - my modules are PROMOS - and I don't think they'll take 2.1V will they ? If I set VDimm to 2.1V at any clockspeed they fall over like a sack of spuds, won't even do 2 seconds in Orthos ... I read somewhere (one of your support guys I think) - that the max these will take is 1.95V ?

I think I may have cured the problem though, by changing the Write to Precharge from Asus default from 10-15 ... although why it wasn't a problem before I don't know - but after changing did 6 hours in memtest without a problem.

cheers, Mark.

Archived