Corsair Community

Using 2 different pairs of Corsair in dual channel?

kramlin

Hi,

Mainboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

I currently have 1GB of RAM in dual channel, using the TWINX1024-3200C2 modules (2x512) PC3200, latency 2-3-3-6-2T.

I am contemplating adding another 1GB of RAM in the other dual channel using the VS1GBKIT400C3, which is a value pair PC3200 (2x512), latency 3-3-3-8-2T.

Both pairs are Corsair, same speed, same capacity. What will the effects be as a result of one pair being "performance" with a lower latency and the other pair being "value" with a higher latency?

(I want to know if the benefits of my higher performance pair will be cancelled out if I add the value pair. If the benefits of the performance pair will be cancelled out then maybe I do have to pay extra for another pair of TWINX).

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

(I want to know if the benefits of my higher performance pair will be cancelled out if I add the value pair. If the benefits of the performance pair will be cancelled out then maybe I do have to pay extra for another pair of TWINX).

If you mix these modules there is a good chance the system will not post, you should not mix memory with this platform. It would be best to replace what you have now with one Twinx2048-3200C2 set of modules for best performance.

Thanks ramguy,

I appreciate the reply.

Do I have to replace the existing pair of TWINX1024 with TWINX2048, or is it OK just to add another pair of TWINX1024?

That way all the DIMMS will be the same and I won't have to retire the existing set of TWINX1024...

Archived