Corsair Community

Help with P5W DH Deluxe and twin2x 2048-6400

I am new to overclocking and could really use some help. First I will tell you what I have:

Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe (BIOS 1901)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Memory: Corsair Twin2x 2048-6400 (5-5-5-12)

Video: EVGA 8800 GTS

Ok so here is my trouble (misunderstanding). Using the bios I manually set the timings to the specified settings. ( don't think I did it completely right). I then used the AI NOS feature on Asus boards and overclocked my comp by 30% (3.2ghz). I have had it stable at that setting for over a month. The problem is when I boot the computer and look at the BIOS posting my memory is showing up as pc2-3200 (not 6400). When I turn off the overclocking and have the option of selecting the ddr speed and select ddr2-800, it shows up as pc2-6400 in the bios post.

Here is what cpuz shows

When Overclocked to 30%:

Freq: 260.1

FSB:DRAM: 4:3

CAS: 5

RAS to CAS: 5

RAS Precharge: 5

Cycle Time: 12

Bank Cycle Time(Trc) 17

showing as pc2-3200??

When not overclocked:

Freq: 400.7

FSB:DRAM: 2:3

CAS: 5

RAS to CAS: 5

RAS Precharge: 5

Cycle Time: 12

Bank Cycle Time(Trc) 21

showing as pc2-6400

Why is there such a difference? Am I doing something wrong here? Or is the memory still goign the same speed. I thought if I overclocked the cpu that my memory would stay the same speed. This to me makes me think that I am overclocking my cpu but it is slowing down my memory speed. Can someone help me understand this better please.

What settings should I put in my BIOS for these settings:

CAS Lat : (currently 5)

RAS Lat : (currently 5)

RAS to CAS: (currently 5)

RAS# Activate to Precharge: (currently unknown)

DRAM write recovery: (currently 4)

Mem Voltage: (currently 1.9v)

Anyone out there that has this cpu / MB / memory combination also mind telling me what you have for your settings... (cpu and memory)

I really appreciate your help in better understanding this. I have read tons and tons of threads here but I guess I am not getting it. Thanks in advance for your input.

Instead of doing CPU Overclock change AI Tuning to Manual.

This will allow you to set your ram speed/voltage and other options manually.

To overclock by 30% change FSB to 330 and change the Ram Speed to as close to DDR2-800 as you can. You may need to increase cpu voltage to reach that high a fsb, watch temperatures to make sure that your processor stays cool.

Archived