Corsair Community

Problem adding more than 2gb of memory...

stringboi

Last year I bought a pair of CMX2048-3200C2PT v1.2 (2 x 1024) to upgrade my A8N-SLI mobo to 2gb of memory...Set in slots A1 and B1 as the mobo manual says to, and manually adjusted the timings so I would get the 2-3-3-6 settings and everything works great. I wanted to add more, so I bought another stick (1 x 1024), and added it to slot A2 (I know it would knock out DC, but I was planning to max out the board with another 1024 shortly) and cant get my computer to go beyond the POST. When I got the extra 1gb I read on it that it was the same model CMX1024-3200C2PT...but the version was now 2.2! I was unable to see this through Newegg.com when I purchased it or I would have looked for v1.2. I also tried to reset the BIOS to default/auto settings and retried, and it wouldnt boot. I read some other information on this site about errors occuring with differet version numbers, but heres the thing....I reset my timings back to 2-3-3-6 with my old sticks (everything works fine), then swapped out my A1 slot for the new stick (v2.2) and left B1 with the old stick (v1.2) and everything booted up perfectly, so I was thinking that there is not a version incompatability (Could I be wrong?). I only seem to get errors when I add something into slot A2 (I am assuming thats where the next module should be placed if adding only 1 stick, total of 3 sticks). I'm assuming I should have no problems leaving one slot open...It would just knock out Dual Channel, am I correct? So I was wondering what the problem is that Im having. Is it because I'm not filling all the slots? Do I need to lower my timings with more than 2 slots and 2gb? The v2.2 stick seems to get along with with v1.2 as long as I only use 1 of each...anymore than 2 slots and no boot! Any suggestions? :D:

• Corsair Employees
Yes and you should not mix memory with this MB, its best to get all of the memory you plan on using with this platform. But if you use 3 modules it will be default run in single channel and the modules you add will have to match in the respective channels. Sorry but this is a limitation of the memory controller in systems now, unfortunately you cannot mix memory like you could with previous platforms

Archived