Corsair Community

CMX1024-3200 & ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

designmule

Hello

I am trying to install a third stick of CMX1024-3200 in my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and I am having some issues. It will either generate hundreds of errors in Memtest+86 on test five or it will lock up Memtest+86 on test five depending on the configuration.

(a) With just two sticks in the first two slots of the motherboard the system shows 2gb of RAM running in single channel mode. With this configuration the system generates hundreds of errors.

(b) With one stick in slot one and the other in slot three of the motherboard the system shows 2Gb of RAM running in dual channel mode. The setup works just fine.

© With on stick of ram in each slot of the motherboard the system shows 3Gb of RAM running in dual channel mode. With this configuration the system locks up on test 5.

(d) I have tested a single module in each memory slot on the motherboard and passed the tests.

On all the Auto settings, the BIOS seems to set itself using the correct settings (8-3-3-3t) but I have also tried setting them manually. I have tried 8-4-4-3t (not with all configurations) and had no luck. Initially the voltage was set at 2.6 but I have since increased it to 2.7 and now 2.8. I have disabled all USB support in the BIOS. I have also unplugged my video card, cd-rom, etc. from the power supply.

My modules are from different batches; V5.1, V5.2 , V1.1 (the V1.1 I received as an RMA for a module the generated errors, on its own, in test 4). The stick that is V1.1 has performed identically to the others in configuration A & B. That is to say that it works in B and it doesn't work in A.

I have to admit that I know very little about all the latency settings, I hope that my problem may lie there.

Any help that you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Matt McDonald

Hello

I am trying to install a third stick of CMX1024-3200 in my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and I am having some issues. It will either generate hundreds of errors in Memtest+86 on test five or it will lock up Memtest+86 on test five depending on the configuration.

(a) With just two sticks in the first two slots of the motherboard the system shows 2gb of RAM running in single channel mode. With this configuration the system generates hundreds of errors.

(b) With one stick in slot one and the other in slot three of the motherboard the system shows 2Gb of RAM running in dual channel mode. The setup works just fine.

© With on stick of ram in each slot of the motherboard the system shows 3Gb of RAM running in dual channel mode. With this configuration the system locks up on test 5.

(d) I have tested a single module in each memory slot on the motherboard and passed the tests.

On all the Auto settings, the BIOS seems to set itself using the correct settings (8-3-3-3t) but I have also tried setting them manually. I have tried 8-4-4-3t (not with all configurations) and had no luck. Initially the voltage was set at 2.6 but I have since increased it to 2.7 and now 2.8. I have disabled all USB support in the BIOS. I have also unplugged my video card, cd-rom, etc. from the power supply.

My modules are from different batches; V5.1, V5.2 , V1.1 (the V1.1 I received as an RMA for a module the generated errors, on its own, in test 4). The stick that is V1.1 has performed identically to the others in configuration A & B. That is to say that it works in B and it doesn't work in A.

I have to admit that I know very little about all the latency settings, I hope that my problem may lie there.

Any help that you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Matt McDonald

The truth is, you're mixing different revisions of the memory - one of which doesn't mix well at all with the others. v1.1 does not mix well at all with any higher revisions of memory, not only due to its IC chip characteristics, but also due to its different SPD programmings. v1.1 is allergic to being run at CAS 3 timings (which your other two sticks default to); it must be run at CAS 2.5.

I don't doubt that the V1.1 memory causes a problem. But I can take it out of the system and run only the V5.1 and V5.2 in slots one and two respectively (single channel mode) and have the system generate errors.

Will Corsair let me RMA the V1.1 and specifically request a stick of one of the other sticks? So that I could then have (for example) a V5.1 in both slots 1 & 2 and a V5.2 in slot 2?

I don't doubt that the V1.1 memory causes a problem. But I can take it out of the system and run only the V5.1 and V5.2 in slots one and two respectively (single channel mode) and have the system generate errors.

Will Corsair let me RMA the V1.1 and specifically request a stick of one of the other sticks? So that I could then have (for example) a V5.1 in both slots 1 & 2 and a V5.2 in slot 2?

Sorry, but Corsair will only RMA for the same part number, irrespective of revision.

So how does one go about getting three sticks that all are all the same version? I bought the first two (5.1 & 5.2) at exactly the same time and they are different versions. The third I bought not even a month later and it was a (4.3, I think) but Corsair replaced it with a (1.1).

----------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts on the BIOS settings? I guess that it is worth mentioning that I'm not trying to overclock my system.

Wired: For some reason, I never got any emails from the forum through my personall email account (they didn't even show up in my bulk mail filter). I have updated to use my work email address. I received the confirmation email and should be all set to go.

Ram Guy: Thank you very much for offering to let me RMA the memory. Which modules do you suggest that I send in? I could slow the system down and put in some older memory if you believe that I need to send in all three modules.

Thanks again

Matt McDonald

Wired: For some reason, I never got any emails from the forum through my personall email account (they didn't even show up in my bulk mail filter). I have updated to use my work email address. I received the confirmation email and should be all set to go.
Please PM me your personal email account's domain name so that I can see if it's something on our end, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

well, my three new sticks of RAM came and I'm still having trouble. I received two V6.1 modules and one V1.3 module. I guess that is better than before. Unfortunately the same problem exists. I can get any two modules to work together but I can not get all three to cooperate. With three modules in the system locks up just seconds into Memtest86 number 5.

I should say that I have had three modules in the machine before. They were 512mb sticks (from another manufacturer) that worked just fine though at the time I had the FSB set @ 333Mhz because of the slower processor I was then using. I only bring that up to suggest that I do not have a motherboard problem.

Any suggestions? I'm still game for relaxing the memory timings but other than the latency I really don't know which way is up. I'll send the V1.3 back if we can be reasonably sure that I'll get a V6.1.

I sure appreciate all the help.

Matt

Thanks. I'll give them a call and see what we can get worked out.

Everything is set to "Optimal" in the BIOS (V1008, the most current non beta) and the RAM settings are set by SPD resulting in 8-3-3-3t. I have set the voltage manually to 2.8v. My FSB is at 200Mhz with an 11x multiplier for my XP3200 the RAM is also running at 200Mhz.

I can provide a more detailed description of my BIOS settings if needed.

Thank you for the help.

Matt

• Corsair Employees

Please get the latest bios and then then the modules that match should be in slots 2-3 and the single module should be in slot one!

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

So I flashed my BIOS to V1009, placed the odd module in slot one, placed the matched modules in 2 & 3 and set the BIOS as recommended. Unfortunately the system wouldn't boot. It would post and say that it was running at half speed and require me to reset the CPU and memory timings. I would do this, save and exit the BIOS and the system wouldn't post. I would then restart the machine and this process would start over.

I then tried the odd module in the other slots and the machine would boot and load memtest but it would still lock up in test #5. I thought it might be worth noting that test 4 runs very slowly (10 minutes) up to 20% and then blows through the remainder of the test in seconds.

I took the odd module out content to call it quits for the night and re-booted the system with just the two matched sticks. When Windows started, applications started crashing left and right.

I rebooted, entered the BIOS and set everything back to Optimal or Auto and the system would boot just fine.

Then thought that I would test my luck and put the third stick back in, unfortunately it behaved just as before.

I will plan on calling customer service on Thursday to see if I can swap my version 1.3 with a 6.1 and we can see what that does.

I have been looking through the forums at Nforcer's HQ and I really haven't found any applicable information. Nor have I found anyone here trying to run 3Gb of RAM in this board. But from everything that I can tell it is supported. Have you all worked with anyone else that has tried to get 3Gb running in this board?

Thanks again for all the help. Despite the trouble that I am having the level of support has been first rate and has encouraged me to purchase Corsair memory for other applications. I have some interest in building a render server in the near future (I do 3DS Max work). I will want to put 4 to 8 gigs of RAM in it. How would I go about purchasing more than two matched sticks? I sure don't want to go through all of this again.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I have continued to have difficulty getting this issue resolved. I called a spoke to someone at tech support that suggested that I had a power supply issued. So I swapped my video card for an old PCI unit and unplugged all other PCI cards, HDs, and optical drives. Unfortunately this did not help.

The advice I have received here and from the tech support person specifically directed me to put the odd stick in memory slot one. The system will not post with the odd module in that slot and the other two in the remaining slot. In any other configuration the system will post but generates errors in memtest.

This leads me to believe that the issue lies with the odd memory module (which test fine on its own).

I called customer service and explained that was trying to get the one stick swapped out. The gentleman that I spoke to told me that he could not guarantee that I would receive the requested module. When I told him that I was willing to send all three modules back if I could get three matched modules back (for a second time) he put me on hold while he spoke to someone in the RMA department.

This person (whom I later spoke to personally) told the customer service agent that they could not guarantee that I would receive all matched modules.

I asked the agent the question that I have posed here. How could I have gone about purchasing three matched modules? He didn't have a answer.

I asked to speak to the RMA supervisor who I explained my situation to. He gave me his email address and asked me to email him with the module that I was looking for and he would get back to me "in a couple of hours". That was over a week ago and I have not heard back from him. I have emailed three times and left him a voice mail twice.

Frankly, I'm up a creek here. I purchased RAM that from everything I have been able to ascertain should work. I have tried every recommendation suggested to me from tech support and this forum. I have owned the RAM long enough that I can not return it.

The white elephant in the room (so to speak) is that mismatched module. If I could have ordered three matched modules I would have. Unfortunately this was not an option. At this point I honestly do not think that it is unreasonable to swap out that last module despite any policy that prohibits the distribution of a specific module revision.

Please, Ram Guy if you have any ability to help me out I would really appreciate it. I promise that if we get that last 6.1 module in the machine and it still doesn't work I will leave you guys alone.

Matt McDonald

• Corsair Employees
As I remember the Video card you have has a high power requirement, have you tried one miss matched in slot's one and one in slots 2 and see if it will post or just the two matched modules in slots 2-3, will it post then?

I have requested further information from PNY regarding the power requirements of my video card (a Quadro FX1000 which is essentially a GeForce FX5800). However, I have temporarily replaced the video card with an old PCI unit and this has not alleviated the problem.

As for the modules. The system will post in almost all configurations except where all three slots are full and the first slot is occupied by the odd module. In any other configuration the system will post, but either freezes or generates errors in Memtest test 5.

The fact that this one module in this one configuration makes me think that it is an issue with the versions.

I have set the bios exactly as requested in previous posts and I have removed everything that might be causing a power drain (HDs, vid card, etc.) and none of this works. I have run three modules at once on this board before but they were running at 333Mhz.

I am open to further suggestions. I suppose that I can try swapping out the power supply but I feel like that has been eliminated as a possible culprit.

I have been told twice that the odd module needs to be in slot 1 but in that configuration the system won't post. What is the significance of slot 1? And if the system will only not post when that particular module is in the first slot it would seem to me that the issue has something to do with that odd module (or else it would be repeatable). Wouldn't it?

• Corsair Employees

What is not clear to me is this, if that odd module will boot on its own or not number one and if you mix the modules one from the set with the odd module just two modules total will the system post? If so then its not a module problem.

What happens if you install just one module any of the three in slot one alone?

one module (any module) in any slot and the system will post and pass memtest.

I can mix two modules and the system will post and pass memtest. The odd module can be in any slot.

With all three modules, installed (the odd module being in slot 2 or 3) the system will post but will not pass memtest.

With all three modules, installed (the odd being in slot 1) the system will not post.

I hope that's clear.

Archived