Corsair Community

680i DDR2 800 or 1200

bassman324

I am looking at a 680i motherboard and have a question. They sell two versions of this board, one for DDR2 800 and another for DDR2 1200.

I have DDR2 800 but was wondering if I should get the one rated for 1200 incase I decided to upgrade my memory later on. Would the one rated for 1200 clock down to 800 so I can use the memory I have now. Or will there be problems running the mobo and ram asyncronisly.

If it will work I would like to spend the extra $20 or so dollars to future proof myself in the even DDR2 1200 comes down in price so I won't have to buy a new mobo to upgrade my ram. Thanks!

which motherboard are you looking at??? as far as i know, all 680i motherboards support 1200 rated memory...

if you are talking about the 2 evga boards, then the only difference between the 2 is the warranty... one comes with a 3 year and one comes with a lifetime... they both support 1200 memory...

I believe the 800 version is a stripped down 680i "lite" edition, and I don't think it's even out yet. Just pre-release marketing.

Also, make sure you stop by the evga motherboard message forums before counting on that 1200 Ram working in the board.

There's some pretty good evidence that the 680i is having some... troubles... with high speed memory. Like bad troubles.

Just want you to be an informed consumer.

I have been reading about the boards cooking up some ram. The lesser is the one rated for DDR2 800. I currently have 800 and want to make sure there will not be a problem using my 800 in a mobo rated for 1200. Not sure im ready to cook up my ram so I maybe looking elsewhere. Thanks!

The one that supports DDR2 800 is for sale on http://www.newegg.com

Archived