Corsair Community

dell 4600 memory

bottlefed1

I need help I have a dell 4600 that I'm trying to buy memory for, currently it has the 512mb that it comes with, and I would like to toss that and get at least 2gig. The problem is that I don't know which to get I would like the fastest pair I can get money is not a problem.

I already checked the tool that tells you which ones are compatible with my system but I didn't see any 2 gig kits and also I searched and noticed that xms memory will not work with my pc because I can't mess with the bios but there is a 2x512mb xms kit (TWINX1024-3200C2) that you sell for it please explain that, if that is the case wouldn't the TWINX2048-3200C2 or TWINX2048-3200C2pro work as well because I would really like to get either of those instead

I need help I have a dell 4600 that I'm trying to buy memory for, currently it has the 512mb that it comes with, and I would like to toss that and get at least 2gig. The problem is that I don't know which to get I would like the fastest pair I can get money is not a problem.

I already checked the tool that tells you which ones are compatible with my system but I didn't see any 2 gig kits and also I searched and noticed that xms memory will not work with my pc because I can't mess with the bios but there is a 2x512mb xms kit (TWINX1024-3200C2) that you sell for it please explain that, if that is the case wouldn't the TWINX2048-3200C2 or TWINX2048-3200C2pro work as well because I would really like to get either of those instead

Unfortunately, I would not recommend any of the XMS/TWINX kits on a Dell system.

Why?

You see, Dell systems have no provision at all whatsoever to manually adjust the DIMM voltage, the memory latency timings or even the effective memory speed! (But that does not stop you from trying the memory: The TWINX2048-3200C2 series kits will not be able to run at its advertised, tested speed on any OEM system -- you'll be stuck at SPD-programmed timings of 3-3-3-x, and if you use more than one kit your effective memory speed will drop to DDR333.)

On the other hand, Corsair recommends the System Select CMSS1GB-400 or CMSS1GB-333 (depending on your processor's FSB speed). And there is a reason as to why the CMSS series are sold only as individual sticks: They are required to meet the JEDEC standards for a given type and speed class exactly (e.g. the CMSS###MB-400 and CMSS1GB-400 modules must meet all JEDEC standards for DDR400 memory in every way), so that you will not get a mismatch as long as you get the same part number in that series. (Or put it this way, there is no need to package the System Select modules as dual-channel kits because all of the System Select modules have been manufactured to full compliance with the JEDEC reference standards.)

Unfortunately, I would not recommend any of the XMS/TWINX kits on a Dell system.

Why?

You see, Dell systems have no provision at all whatsoever to manually adjust the DIMM voltage, the memory latency timings or even the effective memory speed! (But that does not stop you from trying the memory: The TWINX2048-3200C2 series kits will not be able to run at its advertised, tested speed on any OEM system -- you'll be stuck at SPD-programmed timings of 3-3-3-x, and if you use more than one kit your effective memory speed will drop to DDR333.)

On the other hand, Corsair recommends the System Select CMSS1GB-400 or CMSS1GB-333 (depending on your processor's FSB speed). And there is a reason as to why the CMSS series are sold only as individual sticks: They are required to meet the JEDEC standards for a given type and speed class exactly (e.g. the CMSS###MB-400 and CMSS1GB-400 modules must meet all JEDEC standards for DDR400 memory in every way), so that you will not get a mismatch as long as you get the same part number in that series. (Or put it this way, there is no need to package the System Select modules as dual-channel kits because all of the System Select modules have been manufactured to full compliance with the JEDEC reference standards.)

If the twinx kits are not recomended then why are they an option for for my system:confused: ?

What is the difference between one of the 1gig xms sticks and the CMSS1GB-400 sticks, is there alot of difference between the speeds of the 2.

And also dell recomends buying in pairs because it has dual channel memory are you saying that I don't need to buy dual channel mem.

If the twinx kits are not recomended then why are they an option for for my system:confused: ?

Note that the Corsair Configurator for your system does not list any 2GB dual-channel kits. In addition, many XMS series modules require a higher-than-JEDEC-reference voltage in order to work reliably. Undervoltage of the memory modules can actually kill them!

What is the difference between one of the 1gig xms sticks and the CMSS1GB-400 sticks, is there alot of difference between the speeds of the 2.

In your system, there will be no difference at all whatsoever between the speeds of the two because the XMS memory will not be able to run at the tested timings (there is no provision for manual setting of timings on your system, and the only available timings option is By SPD - and both have the same SPD-programmed timings).

And also dell recomends buying in pairs because it has dual channel memory are you saying that I don't need to buy dual channel mem.

Actually, there is no such thing as dual-channel memory. Dual-channel is a property of the memory controller. And the dual-channel kits were tested together to ensure that they'll work in a dual-channel system. The System Select modules do not need to be tested in a dual-channel system (and thus are sold only as individual modules) because they are all manufactured to full compliance with the reference standards set by JEDEC - in other words, the System Select modules are guaranteed to work in an OEM system such as yours, in either single-channel or dual-channel mode. The System Select modules will cost more than most of the other series of memory modules because they are made with expensive components compared to the others.

• 1 month later...

>>Topic resurrected<<

Dear RAM GUY, (or any other memory Guru person),

I have a Dell 4600 and have also noticed that there are no 2GB (2x1024) memory sticks listed in the Memory Configurator.

The Dell 4600 has a 4GB memory capacity so it must be able to utilize 1GB sticks in each slot...shouldn't it? :confused:

Could this Value Select combo be a possible addition to the Memory Configurators list for the 4600? ... VS2GBKIT400C3

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Archived