Corsair Community

Here is why I'm reluctant..

PaulTa

http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

How many different revisions has Corsair made with the 6400 line? I'm looking at some 6400C4 on newegg, and how am I supposed to know what I'm buying? How am I able to take into account reviews on Corsair RAM if the revisions are so numerous?

I have a very limited budget, at around 270 USD max, and I want to buy Corsair. I have a desire to buy Corsair. I have an impulse to buy Corsair. What does Corsair memory offer over the competition though? I could buy memory with the same timings, speed, and have it function with lower voltages. This doesn't even take into account that these companies have only about 1/3 the amount of "chip hopping" that Corsair does.

Someone prove me a fool so I can go with my gut and order Corsair.

I understand this, but how can I guage the performance of someone else's corsair experience against my possible future experience if we both have entirely different chip sets?

What is the Corsair difference? I always thought it was stability and performance, but with the huge variation in chipsets it seems that I can't guarantee myself either of those.

To your comment "This doesn't even take into account that these companies have only about 1/3 the amount of "chip hopping" that Corsair does"

That may be do to the high amount they sell and the hands on availability of the ICs. If you want to use Newegg as reference you can search by top 10 most reviewed DDR2 products. 5 out of the top 10 were Corsair. Corsair had a total of 920+ reviews on 5 products. The other 5 in top 10 were distributed among 4 different companies totaling to 440+ reviews. That is a significant difference. So I think they must be doing something right. Just Analyzing. :sunglasse

All advertised speed grades are clear and printed. What are the exact concerns? If OC ability, order the speed grade that fits your needs.

That's just peachy, but I'm refering to the 6400 modules. I couldn't care less what Corsair got on reviews for some PC4200 modules if I'm not planning on using them.

I think I might end up going with S*per T*lent. I've heard nothing but good and benchmarks against similarly priced Corsair products leave XMS sailing a few miles behind. I really shouldn't say similarly priced though, as Corsair wants top dollar for a brand name that can't hold to their reputation.

The top 3 most reviewed are TWIN2X2048-6400C4, TWIN2X2048-6400 and TWIN2X1024A-6400. Out of the TOP 10 only 5 were PC2-6400. Please look again.

TOP 10(In order):

1. CORSAIR 270 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2-6400

2. CORSAIR 252 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2-6400

3. CORSAIR 170 Reviews 5 EGGS PC2-6400

4. P*I 159 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2-5400

5. CORSAIR 147 Reviews 5 EGGS PC2-4200

6. P*T**T 102 Reviews 5 EGGS PC2-5300

7. CORSAIR 95 Reviews 5 EGGS PC2-5400

8. G.***LL 92 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2-6400

9. O****Z 88 Reviews 3 EGGS PC2-6400

10. O****Z 88 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2- 5400

So I was wonder who is holding there reputation if Corsair isn't?

• Corsair Employees

PaulTa,

While I understand the sentiment, it’s suspicious in nature.

However, from a personal point of View, if you really feel that way I would suggest you try what you think is best after all it's your money and you are the one to pay for what you want. And I do honestly wish you the best of luck. But I know what we do in testing and qualifications on our modules and most other makers that copy or products don’t do the level of testing and while another maker might have a one hit wonder so to speak, they all seem to have a hard time to consistently keep up with us. And as far as I know no one tests every module on a MB before they leave the factory like we do. Most just use memory testers. At any rate thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion, and again good luck!

The top 3 most reviewed are TWIN2X2048-6400C4, TWIN2X2048-6400 and TWIN2X1024A-6400. Out of the TOP 10 only 5 were PC2-6400. Please look again.

TOP 10(In order):

1. CORSAIR 270 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2-6400

2. CORSAIR 252 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2-6400

3. CORSAIR 170 Reviews 5 EGGS PC2-6400

4. P*I 159 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2-5400

5. CORSAIR 147 Reviews 5 EGGS PC2-4200

6. P*T**T 102 Reviews 5 EGGS PC2-5300

7. CORSAIR 95 Reviews 5 EGGS PC2-5400

8. G.***LL 92 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2-6400

9. O****Z 88 Reviews 3 EGGS PC2-6400

10. O****Z 88 Reviews 4 EGGS PC2- 5400

So I was wonder who is holding there reputation if Corsair isn't?

Most reviewed or positively reviewed? I know that making a purchase based on newegg reviews is probably one of the most stupid things a person could do, but most reviewed and quality don't really matter. Still, if all the reviews past a certain date aren't relevant anymore because they are using a different chip, then how can a guage how good a purchase is?

Well all 5 products got an overall of 4 or 5 Eggs. One manufacturer only had 3 Eggs. I would rather buy a product that more people have tested than one that only a few users have tried and still only get a 3 or 4 Egg review.

If you like another brand, use it. Maybe you have more insight than the majority...I guess?? :D:

To your comment:

"I know that making a purchase based on newegg reviews is probably one of the most stupid things a person could do, but most reviewed and quality don't really matter"

I guess you're also stating that all the consumers that posted a review are stupid???

To your comment:

"I know that making a purchase based on newegg reviews is probably one of the most stupid things a person could do, but most reviewed and quality don't really matter"

I guess you're also stating that all the consumers that posted a review are stupid???

Well, many if not all of the reviewers either have little to no knowledge about the product, or have not used the product long enough to make a valid judgment of the product. And with many product categories, problems don't start developing until some time after they've reviewed the product. And with some products, the valid judgment would not be formed until after the product had been discontinued by the manufacturer. And Newegg will not even keep listings online for discontinued products long enough to allow those people to post reviews.

Nice thing about the NewEgg reviews is they don't pull the bad reviews like some other sites I Know of. Plus on heavily reviewed items, it's easy to sort through who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. Not to say trusting just the user reviews is enough though. Usually it's a good idea to check out the hard-core hardware sites as well to see the benchmarks and system setups.

I am about to build, with my dad, my first computer. I have a dell right now, and dad decided that it was time to DTD (ditch the dell) and get me in to a full tower case with a good motherboard. He's buying me (for my b-day) an Intel D975XBX2, and setting me up with his old computer case. I was tasked with buying some good 2 gig sticks, and I don't want to fiddle in the BIOS for a few hours tweaking memory settings to get some RAM to work. Most of all, I don't want to have to RMA some RAM, because I need the computer for my college classes. I can't afford to be down for two or three weeks.

I'll probably be buying an E6700 when the Q2 price drop for Intel processors happens, and I might want to OC a bit. I'm going to order an Arctic Cooler 7 Pro, and I already have a SilverStone Olympia 650 sitting upstairs. I've got every little detail figured out, best bang for my buck style, but then I hit a sh*tstorm of DDR2 6400.

I want good RAM that overclocks ok and comes from a good company, but I have a budget of around 250USD. If anyone has any suggestions, please PM me since the mods here seem to have a fetish for ******* out other brands of memory.

If those suggestions happen to be Corsair, I'm still happy to hear them. I'm just a little freaked out by all of the things I've read about Corsair's 6400C4, and the fact that they have revised their chip manufacturers several different times leads me to believe that I can't trust in other people's past experiences. Someone could be doing great with the Corsair 6400C4 in a BX2, but then again I might have an entirely different experience with their latest revision. Who knows?

Peace of mind through a PM suggestion would be welcomed and appreciated.

If anyone has any suggestions, please PM me since the mods here seem to have a fetish for ******* out other brands of memory.

They're blanked out because occasionally people come to the Corsair area to get help troubleshooting other memory manufacturer's products. Also, during the troubleshooting of Corsair memory, if someone tests their motherboard w/ other memory, it doesn't matter who makes the memory, just that it's not the original stick of memory.

• Corsair Employees

PaulTa

You have to consider a few things when you look at any information on the web or any ones site. You are making some assumptions based on the reports of problems with a few people out of tens of thousands of people who have purchased our modules, and to be honest I am surprised the number of people having problems is not larger considering all of the sub-standard hardware I see in the market that can affect the over performance of system's, and the volume we sell. However, I watch the number every week and I can tell you that our return rate for these parts is less that .02% on average. So as I said before, this is your choice and if you feel you want to use Company C over Company B or vise versa that’s your prerogative and I would encourage you to make the best choice, but dont let the decision be made by price alone. In fact you know what I challenge you to use the other companies products, I do that with the faith that I know you will like so many other's find the grass is not as green as it once looked and you will come back.

There is no company that I know of that goes thru the quality control that we do in development and production with our products.

Bottom line if our modules will not run at the advertised spec in an approved platform we will be happy to replace them. That being said, there is no way we can guarantee that every MB even the same model that's listed in XMS Qualification and Testing will be able to run with really tight timings! There are just too many variables that enter into the equation and may have an affect on the end result, like the PSU, and if you suspect the PSU I would suggest you test with another one, and one that is at least 450-500 watt or bigger, depending on the system configuration!

Like I've mentioned before, I have an Intel D975XBX2.

I also have a SilverStone Olympia 650 watt PSU.

I want to run the RAM at stock timings without hours fiddling around in a bios, and a little headroom for OCing is appreciated.

It's the OCing headroom that people are having problems with while using the Corsair modules not using Micron ICs. I don't want insane Overclocks, but many friends of mine on other forums are having problems getting even 900mhz out of the Corsair stuff. For something called XMS I'd expect a little more headroom, instead of RAM that appears to be clocked nearly as high as it's going to go already.

Like I've mentioned before, I have an Intel D975XBX2.

I also have a SilverStone Olympia 650 watt PSU.

I want to run the RAM at stock timings without hours fiddling around in a bios, and a little headroom for OCing is appreciated.

It's the OCing headroom that people are having problems with while using the Corsair modules not using Micron ICs. I don't want insane Overclocks, but many friends of mine on other forums are having problems getting even 900mhz out of the Corsair stuff. For something called XMS I'd expect a little more headroom, instead of RAM that appears to be clocked nearly as high as it's going to go already.

If you want Corsair and want to be guaranteed of any performance past DDR800, I'd suggest you buy a higher speed grade such as PC8500. The Dominator PC8500 uses Micron ICs.

FWIW, DDR900 from a low priced PC6400C4 kit is a 12.5% OC which is not bad. The PC6400C4 is well under your target price.

And, you also need to consider the limitations of your MOBO. You will be lucky if you can run the FSB at 450mhz anyway. So, if you OC at a 1:1 ratio, the PC6400 is plenty fast enough since the 975 chipset boards do not run dividers well.

Archived