Corsair Community

Problem with Memory

CatHat

Hey there,

Please someone confirm what I am thinking here.

Over the last few months I started having problems with my computer, mainly trying to Install Vista starting with the Betas that were available from Microsoft. I at first chalked my problems up to having too new of a board to have Vista support it. When I tried to install a clean install of XP Pro I noticed I was unable to install it either and would get a variety of errors ranging from Blue screens of Death, to corruption after it seemed the OS was installed... corruption I mean in that trying to install a driver and it would fail CRC check but a few mins later I try to install again and its fine... So I finally got fed up and started testing my system. I ran memtest 86 (but with both sitcks of ram in place) and got no errors. This led me to blame my ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFI board. After taking the computer into the place of purchase they "didnt have any problems" installing XP but they did not do any further testing other then installing XP. When I got it home I found Icons missing in the control panel and things crashed etc etc. This weekend I got ambitious... I took 1 or my 2 sticks of RAM out and tried to install VISTA which I never did get installed. It went on and installed without a problem. So I tried to swap out the sticks and sure enough the 2nd stick would not let VISTA Install. I have since gone back to the first stick and installed flawlessly again. Seems to me its pretty clear the one module is flakey. The only concern I have is that MEMTEST said it was OK for both me and for the comp store. But When the one is in by itself no problems and when switched, its a no install again issue.

What should I do?

Also, is this the best ram for me or should I have something different (speed and product line wise)... My specs are as follows.

ASUS P5B Deluxe WIFI

CORE 2 6300 1.8Ghz

and I am using Value Select VS512MB533D2 which I bought as a kit of 2

I was wondering if the Ram should not be faster, like 667 or even 800 and not 533?

Any help is appreciated

James

• Corsair Employees

These modules should be fine for that system, and faster memory would just give you a bit fater memory performance, it it will be a bit more expensive.

And I would try and set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and see if that will solve that issue you reported, if not I have no problem replacing them, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

Archived