Corsair Community

question

Paul_MCSE

1st of all let me say that I've spent alittle bit of time "looking" around your house of help before posting this question, and I have to say that I'm very impressed! you seem to have an awesome forum here :D:

now on to the question...

I have owned a Corsair flash voyager 8 Gb for about 4 weeks now... and in my line of work, have used it quite abit until yesterday. the unit seems to be dead now. I have spoke to my reseller and they are going to replace it... my question is this... this is not my 1st flash drive to die on me(although it is the 1st Corsair that I've owned) all of the ones I've owned that have died on me have been under a year old... can you help me to figure out why(?) this may be happening. now I know your not god and that you can see into the future or anything... I've been a SYSADMIN for 22 years and know that some things just "happen" but, it is getting to the point I can't trust flash drives anymore

2nd question..

ok.. its dead. is there ANYthing I can do to try to recover the data? or to "fix" the flash drive that WILL not void the warranty?

thanks

• Corsair Employees

This a great question, and one that is hard to answer. However, there are a few things you can do some of which you may know and some you may not but first, I would try and wiggle the drive gently and slowly and see if the computer will see it, if that works then copy you data off the drive and get the RMA and we will be happy to replace it.

If no matter what you do the dive will not detect, I am sorry then the data is lost. Worst case. But try that first to get your data off the drive.

If the drive is detected and it says that you need to format the drive, then I would go to http://www.snapfiles.com and search for "How to recover an unformatted Flash Drive" or "How to recover lost files format Flash Drive". You will find many free ware utilities to help you get the data, if it’s just lost the partition table.

Some things to look for or things that are more common with removable drives.

As you may very well know removable drives have a long history of reliability mostly because of the nature. But there are some things that can be done.

1. If for example the drive in question or you seem to have this symptom with all flash drives.

Make sure the system you are using has enough power provided to the devices you have connected. This may be more common with a system that is using a number of USB devices at the same time. Or a weak power supply or heavily loaded system may also cause this symptom.

If you are using several USB devices use an externally powered hub as this will power the flash drive and not have as much of a power limitation.

2. Software that will automatically check you hard drives for errors like Norton System Works may be checking or writing to the drive when its being removed.

Make sure that you stop the drive before removing it.

3. Fat and Fat 32 both have limitation as to the maximum size of the file that can be stored.

Make sure you are not going over the file size and volume limitation of the file system. File Size limits posted by Wikipedia.

These are the most common causes of lost file that I have seen I will add more as they come to mind. And if you have any more details about the loss or failures that might help to diagnose the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived